Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 2nd Fill Turned Into An Unfill....

I was so excited about my second fill this morning. I really felt ready for it. I had no restriction at all from my first fill and I've been struggling. I wanted that 2nd fill. I needed that 2nd fill.

So, my surgeon put in an additional 1cc (found my port easily, no pain), sat me up and handed me a bottle of Water. The first three sips felt fine, but by the fourth sip I felt something that I hadn't experienced before. I was STUCK....on water! In a matter of seconds, I got a terrible pain in my upper chest, I broke out in a sweat, my eyes watered, I began producing saliva at an alarming rate.....and you guessed it.....I leaned over and threw up into the trash can!

He laid me back down, stuck me again and pulled out .6cc. Immediately, I felt better. He sat me back up and told me to wait for a couple of minutes, but not to drink any more water. Then he went next door to fill his next patient.

For about 10 minutes I felt pretty good, but then I started getting that tight feeling in my chest again (along with all the other lovely symptoms listed above.) Just as my surgeon opened the door saying "How are you doing?", I yacked up all the saliva that had been collecting in my pouch. He made a U-turn, said "I'll get a needle." and walked right back out the door.

At this point, he completely unfilled me and let me rest on the table for a few minutes (with that giganto-needle sticking out of my belly.) Then he slowly put back 3.6cc. I whined "That's less than I came in with!", but he said that since my esophogus was spasming and my stomach was probably swollen, he didn't want to risk putting back the entire 4cc.

Well, that was not how I thought today would turn out.....luckily, I'm not the least bit hungry and won't be trying anything more than liquids for a day or two. He said I can come in for another try in 3 weeks. Sigh.

When I had my second fill, at first I felt fine. Then that night and the next morning ~ I felt the same way, couldn't hold anything down. Went back in the next afternoon and they took out .5cc's. I feel really good right now. I can go back after the 26th.

That happens sometimes. I remember getting a fill once and I was fine in the office even if the Water was going down slow.

But when I started drinking on the way home I realized that I had a problem. Later I had to go back for an unfill. Drinking the Water was semi OK in the office but slow going but I could never progress beyond liquids afterwards.

I've had a similar episode. I'm very sensitive to fills also. I went in for my 2nd fill and walked out -4cc then what I went in with. It's the WORST feeling ever. For my 3rd fill, I felt fine in the office but as soon as I got home I could not even swallow my own saliva. I kept foaming and sliming all night. I got about 2hrs of sleep because of chest pressure. The next morning I called the dr's office but since it was July 4th weekend my dr was out of town and the other dr was expected to be in surgery all day. I was told to go to the ER but I knew my ins. would never pay for a non-life threaten dx. But I felt better by that afternoon and was able to take in liquids.

My advise would be to have small fills (5cc). I know you want to get to that 'sweet spot' sooner rather than later but it's so not worth that awful feeling.

Thanks everybody. I was really bummed this morning. My doctor is pretty conservative with his fills. Neither of us thought that 1cc would produce such a dramatic reaction. He said he will take it "very slow" from now on.

I just feel like I'm still in a "holding" pattern. I'm nearly 3 months post-op and still no restriction. I will continue to make healthy food choices, but I could sure use some help with portion control.....

Thanks everybody. I was really bummed this morning. My doctor is pretty conservative with his fills. Neither of us thought that 1cc would produce such a dramatic reaction. He said he will take it "very slow" from now on.

I just feel like I'm still in a "holding" pattern. I'm nearly 3 months post-op and still no restriction. I will continue to make healthy food choices, but I could sure use some help with portion control.....

That is scary that your fill turned out that way. :thumbup:

I had a fill today and it is always in the back of my mind, what if when I leave everything goes haywire. I am always in a rush to get out of the fill station and back to work, but now reading your post I am going to start taking it very slow.

Thanks for posting this.

Mim, Thanks for sharing that. I go this afternoon for my second fill. I will pay more attention to how I feel knowing what you just experienced.

I am SO ready to get this show on the road and feel some restriction. I don't think I've lost any weight this month. Thank goodness for NSV!

Thanks for sharing that. I go on Tuesday for my 2nd fill. He did .1cc last time. But I have been really hungry this week!!

My husband had his second fill a few weeks ago. He is finally learing to eat slow, now he needs to put less in his mouth!! He has had a few things stuck!

Virginia Banded 11/10/08.

I had every one of my fills with fluro and not a single problem. Then I had my first fill in the office and ended up having to have a partial unfill.

If you have the option, request fluro, it is 100 times more accurate.

I'm in the same boat as you. I had no restriction after my first fill (4ccs) and just had my 2nd fill yesterday (2cc's). I'm starving today - Protein drinks are not filling me up!!

Fluro is when they use x-ray and barium and can see exactly how tight you are.

Is that more expensive? I just remember they did the UGI before I left the hospital and that was some of the most awful stuff to pass my lips! Next to some really nasty cheese at the grocery store.

Is that more expensive? I just remember they did the UGI before I left the hospital and that was some of the most awful stuff to pass my lips! Next to some really nasty cheese at the grocery store.

A UGI and flouro are basically the same thing. A UGI is just much more extensive in looking for possible problems in that area.

The stuff I had to swallow after surgery was prett gross too, but the stuff they give me after a fill isn't the same thing (thank goodness).

It does cost more. I pay a co-pay for the x-ray ($40 for my ins) and a co-pay for "surgery" since it's a needle entering the body ($100 for my ins).