Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi a little frustrated

Hi everyone,

I was banded on December 1st, 2008 and am getting a little frustrated. Wasn't sure if this was the correct forum, so I hope it was.

I know I haven't been banded for long and I haven't even had my first fill yet (Jan. 22nd, 2009), but I seem to have hit a plateau. So far since surgery I have lost 20 lbs, but for the last 2 weeks I haven't been able to loss anything, but I haven't gained anything either. I went to a support meeting the other day and a lot of other people who were banded around the same timeframe have lost anywhere from 30-40 lbs.

I have noticed my portion size has been cut in half since surgery. I have been drinking a Protein Shake in the morning, and if hungry 2 scrambled eggs with a piece of cheese. For lunch most of the time either a hamburger patty only and some steamed carrots or chicken instead of hamburger. For dinner its either fish, hambuger, chicken, or 2 2 oz meatballs plain with no sauce and a steamed vegetable.

I feel like I am doing the right things but I just can't get my system jump started again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Jennidog.

It is important to remember that we are individuals, thus each person's experience is remarkably different from each others. Don't compare yourself to others, it just leads to heartache and constant questioning.

You are doing an amazing job. Kudos to you for losing 20 pounds during the holidays. And you are not gaining. Once you get your fill, you can expect more weight loss.

I am not sure if you rae tracking calories, but I find this helpful too. Plus, increasing your exercise will help nudge the scale lower. I bet your losing lots of inches as well, so don't always look at the number on the scale.< /p>

Hang in there. Your fill is around the corner and congrats on your weight loss.

Thanks Tquad64 for the kind words. Your right we each will lose/gain differently. I guess the biggest thing is I feel like I am not doing what I am supposed to because I am not losing as much. However, I have lost inches and not weight during this l period of no losing, so I know I am still heading in the right direction.

Yah the fill is right around the corner and I know that will help.

The calorie counting is a great idea, the only thing is my doctor hasn't said what range he would like me stay within when it comes to calories or anything for that matter. I will make sure and ask when I go in on Jan. 22.

I agree the exercise is key to helping with the weight loss and I have been moving around more then I did before. I bought a pedometer and have been walking at least 2 1/2 miles 7 days a week.

Guess I just needed to hear its ok.

Thanks again !!!!

jennidog, my doctor never told me to count calories are gave me a certain number to consume on a day. My doctor is more concerned with Protein in-take and Vitamins.

Great job on not gaining and keeping up with your walking. It will really help hold you out, until you get your fill. Now not everyone hits their sweet spot on the first fill. And not everyone feels restriction on their first fill either, so be pre-pared and just go with the journey. You will get there.

Calories do count. You can't lose weight (which I am sure you know) if you take in more calories than you burn. By the foods you listed I would say you have a high fat/cholesterol diet. In any healthy diet beef should not be eaten more than a couple times a week. Most dietitian say no more than 6 eggs a week. The Protein Shake is good depending on what one you use. Some of the body builder types are also high in calories. I would suggest that you discuss what you should be eating with your doctor or dietitian. The band is a great tool because it helps you feel full quicker. I love it! But we still have to do some of the hard work. I for one hate and I mean hate exercising but I do it 4 times a week because I know I must. You should pat yourself on the back for what you have accomplished! Good luck, I am sure you will be successful!

I'm in the same place you are. I lost 14 lbs one week after surgery and I haven't lost anything since. (I'm on week 3). And I have 3 more weeks before my first fill! I haven't gained anything back but I agree it's frustrating to lose a lot at first, and then nothing. Good luck!

Wells guys,

Had my first fill last Thursday and for the most part it went well. When I weighed in I finally lost 2 more lbs. I am now down 22 lbs. He put 2 cc in my band and I will be going back in 2 weeks to evaluate things again.

Did anyone have any problems with them not being able to find their port? He stuck me once and then took me into the florascope room and x-rayed me and was able to get it the second time.

Not feeling a lot of restriction aside from in the morning, which is what I expected. Did anyone see a huge difference after their first fill?

Like said in earlier posts, DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS! That point can't be stressed enough on this site. You work on you. If you are unsure of what to eat or how many calories, ask your doctor. As for fills, I didn't get real restriction until my second year of getting fills. I never understood what others said they felt until then. My band is at capacity. Some people will feel restriction right away, some won't. So to ask is fine, just don't get discouraged if you are not the typical. I was a very slow loser and like I said it took alot of time to get proper restriction. Just listen to your body, use the band properly, get your exercise, and your body will do what it needs to do for you. Remember, how fast you get there isn't important, it's that you eventually get there. Be Patient and let us know how things go for you. Good Luck