Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any good experiences at Surgical Weight Loss Centre

Hi all,

I have been reading this site for months now but decided to jump on board and start posting as I am positive now that I want the band. I wasn't sure for so long so didn't want to post until I was 100 percent sure.

A quick introduction from me, my name is Lucy, I'm 48, I live in Calgary and want to lose 120 lbs. I have been battling my weight for all my adult life.

I decided that the band is the only way I want to go so now I have to figure out where to go. I have been reading so many negative things about TLBC that I know for a fact that I don't want to go there.

I have found another clinic in Ontario that seems to be quite reputable. Has anyone here been to Surgical Weight Loss Centre? What have your experiences been like? Would you do it again? I have read their website and it seems they have a good follow up program in place for patients out of province. I have read so often that the follow up is very important so I want to make sure I have that. They have trained people locally to do fills so that will be great if I decide to go with them.

Anyone willing to share their story about this clinic? I would love to hear what your feelings are.

Thanks so much and I cant wait to start chatting with you all.

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

I was banded at the SWLC by Dr Chris Cobourn on March 19 2008. I weighed 221 the day of my consultation and today I weigh 169. Like you I tried all kinds of other weight loss programs. In most cases I could lose the weight but never could keep it off. You asked “would I do it again” in a minute..... “would I recommend the SWLC to my friends and family”? Yes for sure. My whole experience with the Dr’s, the nurses, the dietician and the office staff has been first rate. I also did a lot of research on the Lapband and contacted 2 clinics not far from my home. I read their websites and was able to go in the SWLC chat room. It was there where I was able to chat with people that were banded and some like me that were still gathering all the info that we could before making that final decision. The evening before my consultation with Dr Cobourn, he came into the chat room as he often does. I was able to ask him questions with others in the room. This to me was a good sign that the Dr wants to hear how his patients are doing and really cares even after the $16,000 is paid. If you do decide that the SWLC is for you I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Oh.... I forgot to mention the “after care” It is never ending that’s for sure.

Can you tell I know that I made the right choice to go to SWLC. I can’t talk about the other clinic for it took months for them to get back to me!!!! I was already banded by then.

Good luck

Great North

Hi Lucy,

I was banded at SWLC just over 3 years ago. It was just a small clinic when I was banded and have watched it grow tremendously since I was first banded. They now have 3 surgeons that band patients so obviously they are very busy and reputable indeed. Even after 3 years, I am still treated very well by all the staff. They offer lifetime follow up to their patients and as you said they have trained fill docs/nurses all over the country. I am not out of province but I am 8 hours away from the clinic and they have now trained 2 nurses close enough to me that I can get a fill/defill without having to return to the clinic. I would do it all in a heartbeat again and I'd not choose anywhere different. In my opinion, SWLC offers the best of everything.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm still shocked to read the surgeon goes into chat with patients. That is really awesome. Can anyone go chat or do you have to already have a consultation booked? I would love to chat with others and maybe even the doctor. I am so pumped to get this done and I just want to really make sure about my choice. I see this forum isn't too active other than 1 or 2 threads in the Canadian section. I am going to keep reading and hopefully more people can let me know how their experiences went. Thanks again for sharing your very positive experiences with me.

Lucy

Lucy,

I am a TLBC patient and have been for 7 years, it is a good clinic. I have had one negative experience with the clinic since it has been open and it was easily solved.. I sent an email, got a solution and that was that. I would advise you to visit both before you make your decision. I know SWLC patients and they all love their clinic too... I think both clinics will do phone consults to save you an initial trip it is only a phone call and they both will pay for long distance.

Before going into any clinic there are some questions I would ask knowing what I know now.

1) fills how long are they covered and if not for life why not?

2) complications who pays and how much and why aren't they covered?

3) post op support what do they offer and how this is very important for new patients to understand and distance patients it becomes even more important.

And yes Slimband may have a few vocal patients who aren't happy today but there are a few hundred I know personally who are delighted with the clinic and wouldn't go any where else.

Most of all I say go with where you are comfy and if you choose to talk to Slimband ask them about the negative comments and what you have read and see what they say

Good luck and make the choice you are comfortable with

Heather

Lucy,

Anyone can join the SWLC message forum if they are considering banding. There are sections that are for the public and sections for patients only but you will gain a ton of knowledge about the clinic and the surgeons by reading in the public sections. Just register at SWLC - The Surgical Weight Loss Centre Forum • Index page and you can start posting and asking questions there also. You can go into the chat room as well and chat with many banded patients and sometimes Dr. Cobourn will come in to answer questions as well. It seems busiest in the evenings and especially Sunday evening from about 7pm until 11pm EST.

If you have anymore questions about SWLC, feel free to ask.

Thanks for letting me know that I can join while I am still at the looking stage of which clinic to go to. I have read many of the posts there as a guest but will join so I can start asking questions. And Heather,I made it clear in my opening that I am not interested in TLBC/Slimband so use your efforts to sell them on someone else.

Thanks to the two that have actually been banded at Surgical Weight Loss for sharing your stories and steering me to the forum to continue my research.

Lucy

Hi again Lucy, Just to let you know that the Lapband is offered at the Maples Surgical Centre in Winnipeg, cost is 17,500 plus taxes. :tongue2:

Hi cowpoke Lucy!

Welcome to the site!

I was banded at the SWLC Nov 7/08. I have been VERY happy with my experience at the clinic, and since then.

Dr. Cobourn personally called the morning after surgery to see how I was doing...a very nice thing to do, I thought, especially since my surgery was Friday so it was a Saturday morning! The nurses have been helpful, answered questions on the phone or via email quickly. I have had to call the surgeon once after hours, and the call was quickly returned.

Although I do not have the long-term experience that others do, I am pleased to see that the service they provide seems to be consistent over the years, even as the clinic grows in size.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me privately.

Take care, and good luck on your journey!

Anne

PS can't figure out the ticker thingy but

highest weight/pre-op diet weight: 329

surgery weight 304

current weight 289

goal weight 180

Hi Lucy,

I was banded at SWLC by Dr Cobourn, back in April/06. I can't say enough good things about my experience and highly recommend them. I have recently celebrated maintaining goal for one year and reached goal in twenty months going from 251 lbs. day of surgery down to 119 lbs. presently.

Wishing you all the best on your journey,

i am being banded in April 17 2009 with Dr C. any advice

Dr. C is the best of the best. You are in good hands. I was banded by him and have never regreted it. You will find that the clinic staff will be there for you every step of the way. The SWLC also has a very active web site of thier own. Good luck

Best advice I can give is to be banded at SWLC!!!:smile2: Other than that if you are anywhere near Mississauga I facilitate a wonderful support group for bandsters that are patients of our clinic that you are welcome to attend monthly. The members are very supportive of each other and we share our struggles and challenges.

Also the SWLC has a terrific messageboard for patients from across Canada that is awesome with lots of info and comaraderie. Don't forget to also register for the clinic's Symposium if you can make it on May 30th, it will be a great time for all.

Hi Lucy,

I'm not sure if you are banded yet ..but I also had an amazing experience at SWLC. I'm much more active on my clinics board, so I just now saw your post.

I started dealing with the SWLC in January/08 and I was banded one year ago tomorrow (july3/08) They have been professional, down to earth, caring beyond belief, non-judgemental and they are very active participants in all our events. The docs even show up to our holiday parties and chat with everyone. They are simply the best!!!

I am half way to my goal 1 year post op and I'm thrilled that my clinic will be there for me FOR LIFE!:tongue2:

Good luck in your descision

Cheers!

E.

I've only ever heard good things about SWLC. It is an excellent clinic.

But don't dismiss TLBC/Slimband just yet. Do have a visit. Most people are inclined to post when they have problems and are looking for advice. If all is well, you won't likely hear from them. There are many of us here who have have very positive experiences at TLBC.