Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Me the Bad Stuff

I completely agree with everything plain said.

same here.

i am grateful for the band in allowing me a chance to get back to my former self before i let the weight to continue to pile on. i've said in other threads i will not give it 100% of the credit for my weight loss because i know the effort i made in the last 15 months.

i have a few drawbacks regarding the band:

1- i have issues eating in a public setting. i'm a chit chatter & my band does not like to play nice when i'm not paying attention 100% of what i'm putting in my mouth / when & where. i also appear tighter in social settings.

2- i waste money on grocery shopping. sounds weird; but food goes bad fast in my house (it's just hubby and i & we're both banded). i'm starting to just shop for a day or 2.

3- with weight loss, i was told today that hernias might be an issue. i have had port pain for a while and was told i have one needing removal next wk.

none of these are drawbacks one bit in losing the weight i needed to get off my frame. health/fitness & a bit of vanity were all included in my "quick" decision to get banded. i wish i knew a bit more going in - or found this website beforehand.

you sound prepared, or at least willing to know enough about the process. you should do well.

bad things.. hmm I now have this amazing ability to have the longest deepest burps I never could do. And they sneak up on you. I also tend to get a runny nose after I eat which seems to be pecular to me.

Everyone is right it doesn't stop the other issues that may have lead you to why you ended up having the surgery.

Fills: I am incredibly ticklish (beyond normal) and each fill I have had (all 3 of them) I get light headed when the dr finds my port with his finger then inserts the needle in. I don't feel the fill, I barely feel the needle. Afterwards I have not noticed anything until about 2wks out. I have had the vomitting, the spitting.. I have had very little gas pain if any. I have gotten stuck I have resisted the urge to drink I do not eat the things I am not suppose to as I know me and I know I will go right back to doing what I should not be doing. Sorry if my post lacked the gross factor. Good luck. REGRETS:... wish i had done this yrs ago.

I am almost 2 years into my band and I wouldn't change it for the WORLD. I got 25 pounds BELOW my doctor's goal and 10 pounds below MY goal. It gets easier and easier as you go along, but you HAVE to be vigilant about your fill and KEEP GOING BACK until you get it right! I have two friends who got the band and then stopped...never followed up to keep the fill correct. One has lost only about 25 pounds in a year and the other has actually put ON weight. You HAVE to follow through. The procedure is one thing...the follow up is everything. That being said, I cannot TELL you how my life has changed for the better. Yes, people treat me differently! I exude confidence now. I don't hide (I basically "hid" in my house for 25 years...how sad is that!). I actually LIKE myself...I LIKE looking in the mirror...I can actually stomach seeing me naked for the first time (though gravity and age has taken its toll, I am happier with my body now than I EVER was in my 20's or 30's!!!!!!!!

no the Hair loss doesn't happen to everyone. But many do suffer from some hair loss, usually not enough for anyone to notice though. In extreme cases, you can lose quite a lot.

In most cases, your hair starts to grow back after the first 6 months post banding.

The surgery and the band itself is exactly what I thought it would be and I am very happy. If I had to pinpoint a 'fault' it would be the variety of diets the doctors seem to have us on. My doctor has me on the LapBand suggested diet, but it appears from many of you on this board that some doctors seem to 'make up' their own diets. I wish they could all agree on a standard diet for the band and not make some of us suffer through long, laborous preop diets (I didn't have to go on a preop diet at all because I am self pay!).

Hey! I used to live in Seabrook (now in North Carolina). I went for my consult here and will be banded within the next 60 days. You've had a ton of success...what have/haven't you done that you were/weren't supposed to do to make you successful.

Stephanie on threads like this with multiple posts you need to indicate who you're "talking to"...especially when you are asking something not directly related to the original post! :cursing: You can use "quote" (the button bottom right of each post) to quote the person you're asking (neat feature) or you can just type in their screen name. That way we'll know who you're asking!

Hi

I was banded January 8th and I have to agree with what the majority is saying. Anything that could happen is far better then what will happen if you do not loose weight. I had some very monor complications but that would not stop me from doing it again.

This is more then just how you feel physically, mentally I think it is much harder. You have to be open to discover things about yourself and habbits. Willing to make the commitment once you do you will never look back

All the best

Restless Monkey, thanks for the tidbit. I tried the quote button and it said error when I submitted my response...so, I guess the fatty liver question was directed toward you. Sorry!

Thanks for all those responses. You all are downright inspirational! Marathon burping I can handle but hair falling out is alarming... (yikes)! :cursing:

I'm getting closer and closer. If I finally get the nerve, I am going to Dr. Kuri in Tijuana. I'm paying myself and he does about 6/day and is a bargain at $7500. Other patients have good things to say though I would appreciate hearing from more.

I'm trying to analyze my true problem (over eating? wrong foods?) to see if this device will help me. From what I am reading it seems to help everyone if you let it.

I'm nervous and scared - trying to ease myself in to this idea.

If I finally get the nerve, I am going to Dr. Kuri in Tijuana. I'm paying myself and he does about 6/day and is a bargain at $7500. Other patients have good things to say though I would appreciate hearing from more.

Make sure if you go outside your city/county for surgery (to the next city, next state, next country, wherever!) that you line up after care before you go...or plan to go back to your surgery site frequently during the first year. Getting the band is the tip of the iceberg; aftercare is what makes it work and keeps it working. You will have fills and health issues come up and will need quick access.

MANY surgeons will not readily take on someone else's patient regardless of who the banding surgeon or where. So line up that aftercare first.

I was just banded in November. I don't know if I would do it again. I have still not lost anything. Always hungry. Went in today for my 4th fill. I am at 7.2 in a 10cc band. I finally had something get stuck this last weekend and the pain was so bad I thought I was going to pass out. And I have a high tolerence for pain. I can't have anything carbonated. To me right now it all seems like a huge waste with no difference in controlling my hunger. I am hoping that it is going to get better. Thank god I have a doctor that allows fills once a week. You may want to look into that. If you have a doctor that only allows you to get them every 6 weeks like some and have a hard time getting restriction you may not feel anything either for months.