Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have moments of panic before surgery?

I cried like a baby before my surgery. All the way there, I prayed the rosary. It was the scariest thing I had ever done. But you know what? The fear was in my head. This was the best decision I have ever made. I'm 3 weeks post op and down 24lbs if you total my wieght loss from pre-op diet and post. 1 more pound I break 200! I am so happy with my decision. I think the fear/ panick is pretty normal. Just stick with it. I know it was worth it for me.

I ABSOLUTELY know what you are saying. I just got my band on Jan 6th and I was sooo scared. I to am prone to panic attacks and I am actually on medication for anxiety. When it came within 2 days of my surgery date I cried and cried and begged my husband to let me change my mind. He talked me out of it because he knew how important it was to me. The day of surgery was horrible, I cried and didn't want to go through with it but I did. The surgery itself is a piece of cake, the after part isn't as much fun. And I am telling you this because I thought it was gonna be a walk in the park, and maybe for you it will be. But the pain is a bit intense and I vomited a few times which was excrutiating. However, it is now Jan 9th and I do feel better and better everyday. I am hungry and want to eat but I know I can't. It's just not possible because I know I'll get sick and nothing is worth that pain again. You'll get through it and be fine just look to the long term and push. Hopefully you have a good support team! I wish you luck and please feel free to ask any questions you need.

Twiggysmiff you are so normal. I have had 12 surgeries and it never gets easier.

When I was in the prep room for surgery, I thought in my mind, what if I just bale out of this right now. I can make my great escape and get out of here.

But then I thought, I am so worth this effort to become a healthy vibrant woman. I am so worth saving, so I had the procedure. And it was the best gift I could ever give myself.

Your fears are normal. You will be okay, because you picked a surgeon you trust. Plus, you have the support of so many amazing people on this forum. So go for it and don't let fear take your chance for a healthy new life.

Best of luck!

I am scheduled to have my band placed in 1 week. I have been and still am really excited about starting my new life and most especially seeing the results after using my new tool. However, now that I'm close enough to be counting down days, arranging for a substitute for my classroom, shopping for items I'll need pre and post surgery, I'm finding my nerves becoming more and more active. I have random moments of "what the hell am I about to do to myself" and have visions of getting the band and freaking out and wanting to claw it out. I really do know that I want this and I know I'm ready to do what it takes to work with the band. Anyone else go through this before their surgery? I guess I'm afraid that my history of panic attacks will rear its ugly head at the hospital before surgery. I'm worrying about little things, like will the IV or leg wraps for blood clots trigger my claustrophobia, etc. Am I normal or is this a bad omen?

Okay, so I'm PANICKING! Surgery is a week away and I want to turn around and hide! I don't know what to do - I keep praying and asking God to show me what's right. Why can't I just diet and exercise and lose weight on my own? I keep thinking that maybe I should give that another shot. I don't know what to do!

I think you have found from reading this thread that being nervous and panicky is absolutely normal! I did lots of crying and praying before my surgery and even asked them to give me my happy medication almost as soon as I walked into the hospital! I didn't want to panic and back out and I knew once I got the good stuff, I'd relax and be fine. The surgery itself was quick and I did just fine. I had a rough first week because of anxiety, but after 5-6 days, I felt much better! Now I'm 15 lbs lighter and feeling great! My band was put on snugly and I'm actually feeling restriction, just with the band itself. :thumbup:

Anxiety is totally normal. OMG, I was so scared I had my band placed on 2/10/09. The crying started the week before and didn't stop until I got to the hospital. :cursing: My anxiety ran from afraid I'm not going to survive the surgery (I already had a heart attack in '07) to what life will be like after. No matter how much I was told that they have put people who are larger and sicker than I under anesthesia it didn't matter. All I could think of was saying good bye to my family as I was wheeled of to surgery and never seeing them again. But here I am. There's no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision. Just 1 wk out of surgery and I take less than half the insulin I did before my surgery -- that alone is worth it all. Surgery went better than anyone expected,:blushing: I did have an extra day in the hospital due to swelling which made it hard for me to drink the amount of fluids every hour they wanted. The swelling did not make it hard to swallow all fluids went down fine, I just would feel full after about 2oz of Fluid.< /p>

I wish you all the best of luck and please feel free to contact me.

The night before surgery, right before bedtime I had a little bought of cold feet. Not so much panic and not related to the surgery so much as to me finally voicing those fears/thoughts I have been having but kept to myself.

I told my husband about how I felt like a failure for having to resort to surgery to lose weight. In the weeks leading up to this, I had so many people (thin people) telling me that I just needed to stick to a diet and have better willpower. I was starting to let them in a little. I was also worrying about loose skin and all sorts of what if's.

Thankfully, I have a gem of a husband and he gave me a hug and then looked me dead in the eye and said "I know you, you would not be doing this if it was not necessary. Look at how your health has been affected, think about all that you have been missing out on. This is a wonderful thing for you and you should be excited, not sitting here crying."

Just what I needed. My little bought of doubt lasted about 30 minutes and I was good to go. I don't regret going forward with the surgery.

Yesterday morning before my surgery, the sweetest little nun came and said a prayer for me. It was very touching and really set my mind at ease.

Once they had my iv in, and wheeled me to the surgery waiting area a very handsome man that I dubbed "Dr. Feelgood" gave me a nice sedative. After a few minutes he gave me another because I was drumming my fingers. The only thing I remember after that my doc coming to my bedside to say hello and all I could think was that his tracksuit jacket didn't match his pants. Strange.

I woke up after my surgery with nurses telling me to take deep breaths, I fogged out again and woke back up with my husband and parents at my side. Couldn't have gone much better. Not to mention here I am the day after surfing the net.:blushing:

I was fine until they started to wheel me into the operating room. I felt so panicky that I started to say STOP just when the "happy drug" kick in. It felt like I fell asleep for a couple minutes and when I woke up I was back in my room and realized it was over. I am so glad I didn't stop them! This is the best thing I could have done for myself. Good luck on your journey.

I was nervous however, I watched my blood pressure rise over the last year and felt like my weight was going to kill me. I felt like I was going to have a stroke or heart attack. Everytime I felt like you did I thought about thoes things instead. You are doing a good thing for yourself.

I think it is normal to have fears before surgery. I'm an RN and it was almost surreal experience. It's odd to be on the gurney, instead of pushing it and seeing the ceiling and OR rooms from a pt standpoint. I trusted my surgeon, the nurses and anesthesiologist and once those drugs kick in, your anxiety will be a thing of the past. I had feelings of guilt that I couldn't control my wt and had to go to this extreme. How would my (grown) children do if anything happened,etc. Well, I have no regrets, I feel healthier than I has felt in about 5 years. The daily hunger struggle is gone, my quality of life has improved. Best decision I ever made. Just have to do the research and know you picked the right team. good luck!

The days before surgery were like waiting for Christmas for me. I would go to the store, or wherever, and after a few minutes of walking, my back would be breaking. I knew it was my weight, and I just didn't think I could take it much longer.

Just three days after surgery, I am still recovering, still taking my pain meds, but I know I made an awesome decision. Yesterday I walked farther than I have in months, with NO backpain! It is just unreal.

I can only imagine how good I will feel once I am completely healed and losing weight. For the first time in maybe years, I have this strange & wonderful feeling. A feeling of HOPE!

Hugs,

A few years ago I started the process of Lapband. And I backed out because I said to my self that I can do this on my own. "Look I am currently losing weight on my own." So I back out. Well the year that followed, I did not continue to lose weight and gained all the weight back and a few more pounds. So I decided to start the process of Lapband surgery again. On 09/29/08 I had the surgery and have not regretted it. It is a slow process, and you need to be patient but with multiple fills and as time goes by, you do see the results. I wish I had done it sooner. I was nervous and scared to have this surgery too. Good Luck on your surgery.

A few years ago I started the process of Lapband. And I backed out because I said to my self that I can do this on my own. "Look I am currently losing weight on my own." So I back out. Well the year that followed, I did not continue to lose weight and gained all the weight back and a few more pounds. So I decided to start the process of Lapband surgery again. On 09/29/08 I had the surgery and have not regretted it. It is a slow process, and you need to be patient but with multiple fills and as time goes by, you do see the results. I wish I had done it sooner. I was nervous and scared to have this surgery too. Good Luck on your surgery.

WOW! That sounds familiar! I'm still struggling with the decision - as my surgery got cancelled on 2/18 because I was sick. I just don't know what's right - but I thank you for your story!

I was so sure when I started my journey but once I had a date everything changed. I like to think I'm a control freak as well as suffer from panic and anxiety disorder, so when you talk about taking my control away poof that sets off the panic alarm. I debated and debated back and forth. I wasn't afraid to cancel except I knew why I had chosen this path, my health. I can't tell you it was easy for me at the hospaital, my anti anxiety pill was no match and the versat has never worked for me I'm one of those weird ones that no one believes when I say it doesn't work, but then I'm the one who was awake for my endoscopy and a colonoscopy before that. I have some other things wrong with me that always seem to fascinate the surgical teams and unfortunately cause me more anxiety but this time was a little differant. I had plenty of time once they wheeled me back away from my hubby to panic out but I didn't. I've had many surferues and hated them ALL. I did however feel like my surgeon was the best and this I found some comfort in. Panicky me slid from one table to the next listening and watching while they readied everything, feeling my anxiety rise the timing was perfect, I knew when I was being given the stuff to breathe that I would be in band land soon.

Here I am, when I woke up in the OR I wanted out even more, when I got to recovery I was a little less anxious but still wanted out. When I finally got to my room felt even less anxious, my DH was there waiting and I was away from the OR. LOL each step from it even after brought me more at ease, and of course leaving the hospital meant they considered me well enough to get out of Dodge, I did forget to bring a pillow for the ride home. I have to admit that somewhere in the back of my mind knowing I had my anti anxiety pills in my purse and would take them if necessary was comforting. Most of us anxious ones know what to expect from ourselves. I personally won't let it beat me, you obviously need the surgery or wouldn't be here. Don't let panics ugly head keep you from doing whats best for you and your health

I am scheduled for 4 March and have been on the liquid diet for almost a week and no ETOH for a month. Now I have lost 15 lbs and can relate to moments of panic before surgery with just 8 days left before surgery. None of the liquid diet foods seem all that bad but I miss chewing my food. I am running out of SF gum far to quick.....