Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet Spot, gas questions & Spicy food question

Gas

Does anyone have a lot of problem with gas? I had my surgery Sept 4th. At one of my fill's they had the fluoroscope and the nurse said that I had a huge gas bubble in the lower stomach. Anyway, since i had the surgery I have had a lot of gas. I take gas x all the time. However it gets bad enough that I can't hardly get down Water when its at the worse. What can I do to help the gas?

Spicy food

I can not eat any spicy food. Just a little spice gives me really bad heart burn and it makes my gas worse. The problem is that I really like spicy food and I am married to a Mexican that does most of the cooking. I just 2 weeks in Mexico and had a hard time eating a lot of the food. Not because it would get stuck, because it gave me really bad heartburn. I never had this problem before. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do?

Sweet Spot

I can't decide if I am at my sweet spot or if I need to have a a little more taken out. I don't know if the gas and spicy foods are from being too tight. On average I am loosing about 10 pounds a month. I can eat about a cup or little more of food at each sitting. I am satisfied for a long period after I eat. I went from Pb's a lot (almost every other day) to only doing it 1 a week or two weeks. Previously they had put in .05. Before the .05, it wasn't enough, but when they put in the last .05 it was too much. Since the .05 fill, they took out a smidgen (that is exactly what the doctor said). So if I take out another smidgen, I worried it will be too much.

My answer are in red below

Gas

Does anyone have a lot of problem with gas? I had my surgery Sept 4th. At one of my fill's they had the fluoroscope and the nurse said that I had a huge gas bubble in the lower stomach. Anyway, since i had the surgery I have had a lot of gas. I take gas x all the time. However it gets bad enough that I can't hardly get down Water when its at the worse. What can I do to help the gas? I tend to be more gasy now but that is mainly because of what i eat. I eat healthier foods than before. Are you eating better than before ? More veggies ect ? that might be contributing to it ?

Spicy food

I can not eat any spicy food. Just a little spice gives me really bad heart burn and it makes my gas worse. The problem is that I really like spicy food and I am married to a Mexican that does most of the cooking. I just 2 weeks in Mexico and had a hard time eating a lot of the food. Not because it would get stuck, because it gave me really bad heartburn. I never had this problem before. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do? If your getting heartburn alot you may be too tight. Reflux/ heartburn can be symtoms of being too tight.

Sweet Spot

I can't decide if I am at my sweet spot or if I need to have a a little more taken out. I don't know if the gas and spicy foods are from being too tight. On average I am loosing about 10 pounds a month. I can eat about a cup or little more of food at each sitting. I am satisfied for a long period after I eat. I went from Pb's a lot (almost every other day) to only doing it 1 a week or two weeks. Previously they had put in .05. Before the .05, it wasn't enough, but when they put in the last .05 it was too much. Since the .05 fill, they took out a smidgen (that is exactly what the doctor said). So if I take out another smidgen, I worried it will be too much.

Only you can decide if your too tight or not . But people in my opinion have a misconception of the "Sweet Spot" your sweet spot really does not come until your at goal . And that is when your able to maintain , eat normally and not gain or not lose. Because until then you will lose your "sweet spot" as you lose weight . If your PBing 1 or 2 times a week your putting your band at risk . That is TOO MUCH !

and if you go back for a slight unfill and its too much so what ?

Honestly . Peopel do not realize that PBing and throwing up are the SAME THING , your putting your band at risk every single time you PB for a slip , the same as if you were "Throwing" Up twice a week.

So if you go get an unfill and for a short time you have better restriction then have to go get a small fill again . So what ?

Honestly . What is it going to hurt ? A lot less than slipping your band !

Mindy

Edited by coltonwade

I don't eat a lot of veggies. I can't handle a lot of them. I can't eat lettuce, corn, Tomato (because of the skin), broccoli, peas, celery. I do eat cucumbers, potatoes, onions. I can eat Beans, but that does not help with the gas.

Like I said the pb's is a lot better than before. I usually go a couple weeks without pb'ing. Honestly I think the pb's now is coming from the gas. See the problem is I can't tell when the gas is bad. I do burp a lot, but I do that all the time. I can only tell when I am really gassy is because I can't eat or drink hardly anything. The other day I couldn't hardly get down Water. I hadn't ate anything yet. When I drank Water I could feel it in my throat and then i would start burping. I could tell the water wasn't going down. I would take some gas x and then was able to drink for a couple hours and then the water wouldn't go down again. I have the gas x strips and on average I take about 6 a day. I don't like taking medications, so I was hoping there was something else I can do.

I have my next appointment next week, and I will talk to the doctor regarding all of this. I wanted to try other things to see if the gas gets better.

What your describing sounds like your plan getting stuck.

its not gas so much as its your getting stuck .

It sounds like to me your too tight. Everything you described sounds like your too tight. The reflux , the getting stuck. ANYTIME you cant keep liqiuds down you need to call your doc.

I cant stress this enough. you are risking slipping your band by keeping your band too tight or not getting this looked at.

I would call your doc now , do not wait until next week.

The burping can happen when you get too tight as well. Its called a "Soft" stop if you push past that you can and probably will get stuck .

I would call your doc in the am over this .

Even PBing a couple times a week is too much !

mindy

I don't eat a lot of veggies. I can't handle a lot of them. I can't eat lettuce, corn, Tomato (because of the skin), broccoli, peas, celery. I do eat cucumbers, potatoes, onions. I can eat Beans, but that does not help with the gas.

Like I said the pb's is a lot better than before. I usually go a couple weeks without pb'ing. Honestly I think the pb's now is coming from the gas. See the problem is I can't tell when the gas is bad. I do burp a lot, but I do that all the time. I can only tell when I am really gassy is because I can't eat or drink hardly anything. The other day I couldn't hardly get down Water. I hadn't ate anything yet. When I drank Water I could feel it in my throat and then i would start burping. I could tell the water wasn't going down. I would take some gas x and then was able to drink for a couple hours and then the water wouldn't go down again. I have the gas x strips and on average I take about 6 a day. I don't like taking medications, so I was hoping there was something else I can do.

I have my next appointment next week, and I will talk to the doctor regarding all of this. I wanted to try other things to see if the gas gets better.

I know what it feels like when you are stuck. Plus how can I be stuck when I haven't ate anything yet? The nurse practitioner told me that gas can cause you to have problems getting food down because the gas is pushing up on the band. Also, like I said, if I take gas x then the Water will go down.

I don't know why I am soo gassy. I don't drink from a straw, I don't drink carbonated drinks and I don't chew gum. I'm gassy now and I had chicken Soup for lunch. The nurse said to go to liquids when I am having gas problems.

Aww ok didnt realize you were feeling that way even before eating. Do you feel that way possibly after drinking ? Maybe your drinking too fast ? I know that can happen ?

Seems like you would be on liquids for an awful lot if you feel this way often and it seems you do ?

You didnt have this problem before banding right ?

Let us know what the doc says next week it is an issue .

Mindy

I know what it feels like when you are stuck. Plus how can I be stuck when I haven't ate anything yet? The nurse practitioner told me that gas can cause you to have problems getting food down because the gas is pushing up on the band. Also, like I said, if I take gas x then the Water will go down.

I don't know why I am soo gassy. I don't drink from a straw, I don't drink carbonated drinks and I don't chew gum. I'm gassy now and I had chicken Soup for lunch. The nurse said to go to liquids when I am having gas problems.

Honestly, it sounds like you're right where you should be. You can eat the right amount, you stay full, you don't throw up often, and you're losing weight. It's really up to you, but I think you're ok just based on your description above.