Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gastric bypass,Lapband...which one.

I have been all set on the lapband but now that I've read all these blogs I'm thinking gastric bypass might be the way for me. I'm having a hard time deciding. My BMI is 43. I've been heavy all my life except when I'd lose a few lbs just to put it right back on. I want to be able to keep up with my hubby and kids, right now I can't :wink_smile:. I'm just so terrified of the health risk. I want to hear from you people who have had gastric bypass. I want to know all about your experiences, good and bad. I just want to make sure I make the right decision for me. Thanks everyone !

Edie

I am also a BMI of 43 fighting with the diet train my whole life. I like the lap band because it is the less risky surgery. I want to lose but I also want to live. This is a great place to get your info needed to decide Band or bypass. :wink_smile:

Having been on both sides of the fence (lap band and now RNY) I definately recommend the RNY. The fact that people say they get the lap band because it's a "less risky" surgery are misinformed. Every SURGERY has it's own set of risk. Also when people tell you it's less invasive, well guess what... you're still being opened up laproscopically weather it be for banding or RNY, you still have 5 to 6 lap openings in your belly and yes with both surgeries they "pump" you up with CO2. I suggest you do your research, attended local support groups BEFORE you have surgery and talk to people who have used the surgeon you're planning on using and ask them their opinion. Best of luck in your decision!

I know you said you wanted to hear from bypasses, but I would like to encourage you to look at all the surgery types, including the sleeve and DS, and not just the band or bypass.

Weight-Loss Surgeries Compared

i have a band, my daughter had the bypass. they both require dedication to lose weight but the band requires more. its really a personal decision. get all the information and statistics you can on the procedures and make your own decision. there are pros and cons to both. but you have to do your own research. read everything you can get your hands on.

I don't know if I can offer much help. However, I have been banded since May of 2007, and hadn't lost any weight until THIS WEEK (because I decided to get off my lazy a** and exercise) - now I'm down 2 pounds in 5 days - which may sound minimal, but it excites me!

I spoke with the PA at my surgeon's office last week about revising my band to a bypass - because I've had VERY MINIMAL success (not gaining weight in almost 2 years can be viewed as a success; however I was hoping to lose, not maintain). She was going to talk to my surgeon over the weekend and call me today with his suggestion.

I mentioned to her that fact that if I can't follow the band rules, what makes me think I can follow the bypass rules. She said that the bypass MAKES you follow the rules. I'm assuming she means because eating sugars can have terrible physical side effects (dumping syndrome) and because the bypass causes a decrease in absorption of what you eat (which is why malabsorption is a concern). That being said, the bypass may be more risky; however, the band IS NOT for everyone. I'm finding that it takes a lot more committment than I ever imagined. And, yes, I did think the band was a miracle cure (a misconception I had), as they do tell you ahead of time that the band is only a tool, and you do have to put forth a lot of effort to make it work to its full potential. If you're not absolutely committed to making it work - it'll be a rough road. I was half-assed committed, and that doesn't get you anywhere. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. It's a hard decision, and you are the ONLY one that can make it. You know your personality, your weaknesses, and strengths. Hope I helped a little.