Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you exercise today?

YAY Shiny! (And BTW, I like the pic at the bottom of your signature).

I missed my exercise routine today; between the time change and general reluctance to get out of bed when it is chilly, I just didn't make it. I HOPE I can motivate myself to do the TM tonight........

So where are our other regulars???

Yoo hoo...my fellow VV's. I may do a roll-call...

At the Y extra early this morning and did my upper body weight training, and then 30 min on the bicycle. Although I was active when on holidays, it wasn't the same...and my body knows it, too. Oh well, it is back to the routine now.

Have a great weekend everyone; try to do something physical...

Hi Tapp, glad to have you back! :unsure:

I'm still around, just not much time to post, been a lot going on the past week. I'm back on my treadmill, going faster than before, still doing about 5K. I can't seem to get past that yet. I have maintained my weight loss that the flu gave me, lol.

I definitely need to do something different - I was thinking about adding some weight training. I read somewhere to burn fat, you need to mix up aerobic exercise with some weight training, maybe do each 3 days a week (6 days of exercise). I wanna try that, because a stroll/walk (even the dog walks) really doesn't do anything for me anymore. At least not in terms of weight loss.

Tapp, can you describe (maybe just a little?) what upper body work out that you do at the Y?

SHM, I love your new picture at the bottom too! You're really looking great.

I alternate upper body, lower body by day of the week Monday to Friday. I had a personal trainer work with me to show me the proper way to use weights (I use free weights, not machines) , and then she set up a detailed scheduled for me of how many of each exercise in each set and the number of sets to do etc. Then she wrote out a progressive schedule and included pictures of the exercises with reminders of the proper techniques etc (it is so easy to forget what a 'double hand overhead tricep extension IS) and the pictures and reminders help me. I had the sheets covered in plastic, and I set them on the floor next to me while I go through my routines to make sure I remember them. I tried at first to just download some info from the 'net, but given the importance of doing the exercises properly, I paid a trainer for one-on-one education and training, and I think it has been a great investment. Even now, I look at some of the instructions and think if I hadn't gone to her, I would be guessing at what some of the instructions mean.

Upper body - workouts of shoulder, traps, biceps, triceps, chest, etc. I discovered that even though instinctively I knew what a hammer curl would be, the proper technique and arm position made a difference in the impact. But to give you an idea of some of the exercises: Bicep curls; hammer curls; reverse bicep curls; lateral raises; tricep extensions; bent-over and straight and lateral rows; shoulder presses; L-lifts; super 7's; double and single-hand tricep extensions; chest press; chest fly; pull-downs.

Lower body is quads, hamstrings, calves, thighs, hips. Calve lifts; good-mornings; single lunges; squats; double lunges; step ups;

My trainer offered to tweak the routines for me if I got bored, or felt I needed to add more exercises. So far, I have been concentrating on increasing the number of repetitions and the weights. There are (or so my trainer says) an unlimited number of exercise she can add, but I'm not ready for more, thanks.

I'd love to be able to have a trainer work out with me weekly, more to push me on the aerobics, but I can't afford it. So, this is our compromise.

I have been on the treadmill everyday and change the amount of time and the speed each day. Today I did 1/2 mile at 2.6 mph. Tomorrow I may due 3/4 mile at 1.6 mph, just depends on how I feel. I read somewhere that if you don't do the same thing everyday you lose better. Also, they said that you should go fast and slow in your work out but when going fast do it really hard for a min or something like that. I am hoping to start working on the hills and valleys on the treadmill in a week or two. Now won't that be fun? I was banded on Feb 10th and so exercise for me is new.

blklab70, great job on getting going on your exercise. Just do what you can and it will get easier and then what you can do will increase to more and more and before you know it, you'll be a full-fledged athlete! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments on my pictures. :thumbup:

I went for a two mile walk today in the windy, but warm weather. It's nice, but I do miss running.

At the Y this morning I did mmy upper body workout, and then 35m on the treadmill. I am hoping the nice weather comes soon so that I can start walking outside, but it is still cold (below freezing) and today had the added bonus of being windy....ACKKKK! I hate winter!

Welcome blklab70 (and I assume that stands for black lab? My last dog was one, and even years later I still miss him). Anyways, welcome, and as Shiny says, do what you can, start small and increase slowly.

Went swimming today - not the same as outdoors in a heated salt Water Olympic size pool in the sunshine of California, but I did it anyway!

Where are my VV posters? Shiny? Rhap? LilMiss? RSG? Come on guys, I hate talking to myself!

Here I am, Tap!

I did my short T-tapp workout, followed by running two miles on the treadmill yesterday. :laugh: I felt great about getting it done.

Tap, thanks. I do have three black labs (Rookie, Tonka and the puppy Gunner), my passion!!! Ok, so I am working out and increasing every week. Yesterday I did 2 miles on the "bike" in the morning and then did 3/4 mile on the treadmill at night. Son of a gun, I lost 2 pounds! Wow, you think there is something to this exercise thing? Next week I will start doing one mile on the treadmill then maybe trying the hills and valleys program the following week. It is hard! But you know when I get done I feel like I have done something huge and I am so proud of myself.

I have lost 80 lbs I still have 40 more to go But I really want to run.. Where do I start and how long should I go I don't no if I will make it a block! Where did you start?

Hi everyone -

Glad to see everyone getting their workouts in.

I did 3 miles in just over 40 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. Eventually, I want to get it down to 10 minute miles, but I'm not there yet.

Today, I did 30 minutes of swimming - just starting to incorporate that twice a week - boy, I need to improve before August...oh well...

Davia - As for starting to run, I liked the "couch potato to 5K" plan that is on the coolrunning.com website -

Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

You need to be able to walk for 30 minutes before starting this. Then, you alternate walking and running for 30 minutes, gradually increasing the time you run and decreasing the time you walk. I actually still do this, running for 4 minutes and walking for 1 minutes. Now I'm trying to increase my running speed, but still do the walking recovery.

Good luck!

Just did my full t-tapp workout. :biggrin:

Edited to add that I second tapshoes' suggestion about using the Couch to 5K program. I went from barely being able to walk the block to the mailboxes to running a 5K. I never thought I would be able to do that. EVER.

Edited by Shinyhappymommy

Did my upper body workout followed by 30 min on the elliptical this morning. I will be glad when it is nice weather because then I can start walking home from work in the evenings, or walking to the Y. Still way too cold and blustery for that!

Today is my day to rest - no planned workout today.

But, I got to admit, I almost want to go to the gym.

But...keeping to the training program - I know a day of rest is important to prevent injuries.

I'll be back at spinning class on Thursday and on the treadmill Friday, and in the pool Sunday.