Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does it feel like to get food stuck?

I'm one week out and my doctor told me I can start on regular foods (being very careful...I already know this is not normal) but I'm wondering what it feels like to get food stuck.

When I eat I cut my food into teeny tiny bites and chew, chew, chew but I ate 2 chicken nuggets yesterday (not fast food ones or anything, two tiny baked pieces of chicken) and a few baked fries, this was at noon yesterday and I am still feeling full.

I'm really thirsty but I feel so full that I can barely drink anything. This morning I felt a little hungry so I drank diet hot chocolate (my doc said warm liquids help things pass) and I'm stuffed again. Do you think I could have a blockage? Why would I feel full from liquid only? I don't hurt at all though, I'm just full.

Does anyone know how I'm feeling that could help me out here?

Sounds normal to me. I felt that way for about two weeks post op. It wasnt until week 4 I started feeling any hunger.

At only one week out your stomach is quite possibly still swollen from being banded. At the least, it is still healing. I would be VERY wary of eating solid foods so early, even if my doctor had allowed it.

But if you had food stuck, you would know. For me, it hurts in the middle of my chest, I feel a gurgling, bubbling sensation around the area, and I start to burp. Drinking something to help the food go down does NOT help. It just backs up on you. As long as fluids aren't coming back up, you are probably ok. Just appreciate being full!

Thanks, I feel a lot better hearing that this is normal. I get a little paranoid and I think it's worse since I know that 1 week is a little early to be eating (or so people say).

You will know if you get food stuck. It hurts. You feel miserable. Nothing but time helps. If it happens, evualte what you ate and how to determine the cause and not do it again. Believe me, you do not want to repeat that experience.:thumbup:

What does it feel like? Basically.. it hurts. Like a sharp pinching in your chest.. you will feel like drinking to alleviate, but everything I've read says DO NOT do that. I've only had it happen to me once.. I paced around the bathroom for about ten minutes raising my arms up, taking deep breaths, until it passed. I did not bring the food up, eventually it just passed.

I had my surgery yesterday and was wondering when the soreness in my stomach would go away. I know it will vary from people to people, but I was wondering some of your experiences. I am sorry if it was rude to post on this comment.

I had my surgery yesterday and was wondering when the soreness in my stomach would go away. I know it will vary from people to people, but I was wondering some of your experiences. I am sorry if it was rude to post on this comment.

Not rude at all, I'm one week and one day out and my soreness was pretty much gone around day 4 or 5. I still feel a little sore if I try to sleep on my port side.

As far as my abs being sore, I swear by this and it helped me in one day, I drink cherry juice. Something in cherries (and also cherry juice, which is a clear liquid) helps with muscle soreness. It works if you are sore from a workout too.

I have food get stuck on a regular basis. Believe me, you will know for sure when it happens. There will be no mistaking it. In the mornings I can barely eat anything, not even oatmeal without some pain. Most foods I have to cut into tiny pieces and chew chew chew and quite often still have severe pain. I do not know if this is normal or not. I am going on a cruise the end of Jan and am concerned that I will not be able to eat anything. I am going to try to take instant oatmeal in my suitcase for emergency foods.

I am in pain but still not loosing any weight.

miserable, miserable,miserable...IT HURTS! you fill like you have a huge burp stuck in the center of your chest, you want to beat on your chest and try to burp...you will stop eating because it hurts to eat...I think my band is a little tight because almost everything gets stuck but I'm going to ride it out because I'm not eating much and I'm hoping it will kick start my weight loss again...break out the Protein Shakes again!...does it hurt the band to do all the burping???

Stuck, Stuck, Stuck, I agree with everyone when they said that you will know when something is STUCK! I too have tried everything when I get stuck like drinking,turning upside down, trying to vomit (and I hate to vomit), nothing seems to work and you end up waiting for it to just pass just like the other person said.

Being stuck is actually a way of BANDSTER Life that we all have to deal with one day, but we don't have to like it. LOL! Stay strong and I hope that our comments have helped you in some kind of strange way.

Have a blessed day!

Edited by NinaWoo

Okay, I feel like burping, I'm full still and the last time I ate was yesterday at 12:00 pm. I can drink and not throw up but I have no desire to eat, I feel like I'll throw up if I do. It seems like the more time that passes the more uncomfortable it becomes.

Is it possible to have a partial blockage? because it doesn't really hurt, I just feel uncomfortably full.

It could be that eating this early irritated things. You probably still have swelling where the band lies around your upper stomach. This is common for a while after surgery and after each band fill. Try going back to Protein Shakes for a few days to a week and then move to soft Protein foods like cottage cheese, tuna, eggs. Concentrate on the Proteins and fluids for the first 2-4 weeks. Check with your doctor or nutritionist about specifically how to advance your diet over the first 3-4 weeks. Its OK to not feel hungry and feeling full from the swelling is normal, but it shouldn't be painful. Take it slow and easy and good luck to you!

Okay, something was stuck, I drank pinapple juice and walked around with my arms in the air like you guys were talking about and that helped it work through. It started hurting and then eventually passed. I'm back on full liquids this morning and probably for awhile, I obviously wasn't ready and I don't care to relive that again. Thanks for all the help and ideas.