Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday Survival

I'm the only one in my household who *must* low-carb my diet until my surgery on January 2. While most of my family has been reasonably supportive, I'm finding the temptations to cheat getting worse with each passing day.

Last night was the big dinner with the family. After my many attempts to explain how I must stay below 1400 calories and 30g of carbs, my stepmother still brought out biscuits and sweet potatoes and insisted on giving me a heaping plate of banana pudding. (Fortunately, I'd brought the banana pudding, and it was made with Splenda, diet pudding, and all the f/f or low-carb ingredients I could. The bananas were the only unaltered ingredient.) My father adores banana pudding, so that was my gift to him.

Y'all would be proud of me. I took a polite couple of bites of the sweet potato, tasted a thumbfull of the biscuit, and gave half my banana pudding to my husband. But, oh, it was soooo hard! "Want" doesn't begin to cover how much I wanted to pig out on the holiday feast.

What are your survival strategies?

Lena

Wow, it's even harder to control yourself pre-band because there's no restriction, so good for you. The tips we talk about in weight watchers are to Plan ahead for your calories, eat before you go, BYOfood :biggrin:) drink plenty of Water, browse around before you choose and to remember that nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. You may feel a little deprived while everyone else is eating all of your traditional favorites, but you will be SO proud of yourself afterward if you can keep some control of the situation. You can do it!

Thanks for the kind words, Camel Cracker. I did manage to survive with only minor lapses, and recorded an official weight loss of eleven pounds when I reported to the surgeon for my pre-op appointment. Not too shabby at this time of year.

Eating beforehand helped a great deal. I wasn't starving by the time food was served, nor was I overwhelmingly tempted by the appetizers.

Yes, I must be insane to try to follow the low-carb pre-surgical diet at this time of year, but I'm managing to not screw up too badly. I admit my lapses and get back on the wagon as soon as I can.

Next Frieday, my wait is over hopefully.

Lena

Sounds like you did great! I know I started my pre-op liquid diet on the day of the family christmas get together.

Everyone was totally understanding and even made jokes about it...as did I. I found I was able to get some broth from the Roast Beef and add it to my beef broth, which was devine.

It was hard, especially standing right next to the Ham and wanting so badly to take a piece and munch on it.

Keep up the hard work, it will all pay off in the end.

Thanks, Ann. I have to admit I breathed a sigh of relief now that the major holiday celebrations are gone for another year, just in time for me to start the one-week diet the doc wants.

I keep chanting to myself, "One week. One week."

Lena

I did pretty well at Christmas dinner as far as my food choices and proportions. I ate twice as much as normal, but still about 1/5 of what I ate in years past. My husband really saved my butt when my sister tried making me a to-go box. He refused to let her for my own good and I really thank him for that now. I sure would love another sliver of pumpkin or pecan pie right now, but I'm glad it's not there. I will wash dishes instead :thumbup:

You go, Camel!

A friend of the family brought over homemade Cookies along with her holiday gift of coffee. I thanked her and waited until she left before handing the entire bag to my husband and brother. "Gorge yourselves and hide the rest." I suffered while they stuffed themselves silly, but the bag is nowhere in sight today. The coffee is delicious. I know our friend meant well.

I've come to realize how much of our society is geared to make friends and family diet saboteurs. A hostess gift is often food or wine, any celebration involves rich foods, and of course to show love involves high carbs. There's something wrong with this picture. We are not our ancestors, where food shortages were common. Maybe I need to rethink our traditions. I'm a writer. Hmm. I sense a story coming on. LOL!

Edited by voiceomt2002
Addition

Well, most of our daily or frequent foods were made to be enjoyed on special occasions. Because we can, we eat them more often, but it's busting our waistlines.

My husband's family is middle-eastern, and while their food is mainly very healthy, they drown everything in EVOO... It's very healthy, but only a couple of teaspoons per day.