Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please - total unfill but still feel restriction

Hi all, mine is quite a long story but I'll do my best to keep it short. I was banded at the end of July this year, and after a few initial problems I recovered quickly, and progressed from liquid to mushy to solid with very few problems. Then after 2 months my Mum and I left to fly overseas, and after the first 8 hour leg of flights I was nauseous & dizzy. This stayed with me for weeks until I was in Boston and had to visit an ER because the nauseousness was so bad, I also had diahorrea and retching/vomiting. The did a CAT scan and X-rays and couldn't find any problems with the band. They also removed the 3mls that were in my 10ml band and told me to go onto fluids for the following week or so. I did these things and recovered a little, although I was still nauseous most of the time and couldn't take in anything but Water during flights. Since we got home I've been stuck on liquids/mushy foods with no improvement. I've been to my GP and my surgeon, neither can find any problems with the band, and cannot explain why I am nauseous or why I'm feeling restriction with an empty band. I've been on liquids for almost 3 months now and am going crazy. I've lost a lot of weight in a short time - my total loss from surgery date is 70lbs in 4 months.

I have an appointment next week with a gastroenterologist, hoping he will do an endoscopy, but I'm worried he won't find anything else wrong either. I'm getting really desperate for food now, I'm in tears a lot of the time. I never have any energy, and I'm getting dizzy all the time too from the lack of food. It's worse than it was post-surgery, and there's no sign of it ending.

To be honest I don't want the band in me anymore, it feels like my body has been invaded by this thing that's keeping me sick & starving. :lol:

Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them? I'd appreciate any similar stories or a bit of hope. :laugh:

Hi all, mine is quite a long story but I'll do my best to keep it short. I was banded at the end of July this year, and after a few initial problems I recovered quickly, and progressed from liquid to mushy to solid with very few problems. Then after 2 months my Mum and I left to fly overseas, and after the first 8 hour leg of flights I was nauseous & dizzy. This stayed with me for weeks until I was in Boston and had to visit an ER because the nauseousness was so bad, I also had diahorrea and retching/vomiting. The did a CAT scan and X-rays and couldn't find any problems with the band. They also removed the 3mls that were in my 10ml band and told me to go onto fluids for the following week or so. I did these things and recovered a little, although I was still nauseous most of the time and couldn't take in anything but Water during flights. Since we got home I've been stuck on liquids/mushy foods with no improvement. I've been to my GP and my surgeon, neither can find any problems with the band, and cannot explain why I am nauseous or why I'm feeling restriction with an empty band. I've been on liquids for almost 3 months now and am going crazy. I've lost a lot of weight in a short time - my total loss from surgery date is 70lbs in 4 months.

I have an appointment next week with a gastroenterologist, hoping he will do an endoscopy, but I'm worried he won't find anything else wrong either. I'm getting really desperate for food now, I'm in tears a lot of the time. I never have any energy, and I'm getting dizzy all the time too from the lack of food. It's worse than it was post-surgery, and there's no sign of it ending.

To be honest I don't want the band in me anymore, it feels like my body has been invaded by this thing that's keeping me sick & starving. :tongue:

Has anyone else had anything similar happen to them? I'd appreciate any similar stories or a bit of hope. :tongue_smilie:

I am afraid i am not much help but i am very sorry you are going through this . during this time have you been throwing up ? Could you have lots of swelling and maybe in time the swelling will go down and you will be ok ?

I can understand you not wanting the band after having to go through this ?

Have they checked the placement of the band ect ?

Good luck

Mindy

Thanks for your reply Mindy. Yes, they've checked the band's positioning. I'm wondering too about stomach swelling, but surely after 2.5 months on bland liquids/mush, the swelling should've gone down? My surgeon said he couldn't see any major swelling in the stomach on the CAT scan or X-ray, but maybe if I have an endoscopy that will show something up.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply Mindy. Yes, they've checked the band's positioning. I'm wondering too about stomach swelling, but surely after 2.5 months on bland liquids/mush, the swelling should've gone down? My surgeon said he couldn't see any major swelling in the stomach on the CAT scan or X-ray, but maybe if I have an endoscopy that will show something up.

Thanks again!

Have you thrown up since you have had the unfill ?

Seems like something else is going on , I hope you figure out what it is soon

MIndy

That's really terrible and I hope they figure it out soon, I've had too slips and the first time I slipped I had difficulties keeping down liquid, even with an empty band. I'm also an ER nurse and it sounds to me like you need an esophogram and an endoscopy. I hope it all works out.

As for hope, I have to say that even after four surgeries I love my band and it has all been worth it. What your going through now is rough but don't give up on the band.

Nina

Thanks Nina. I saw a gastroenterologist last week & he's going to do an endoscopy for me - unfortunately the earliest I can get in is mid-February. He also thinks I may have reflux, and has given me a med to take. It does seem to be helping a little.

Thanks Nina. I saw a gastroenterologist last week & he's going to do an endoscopy for me - unfortunately the earliest I can get in is mid-February. He also thinks I may have reflux, and has given me a med to take. It does seem to be helping a little.

Reflux can really cause some people some problems.

I hope you figure things out. Also do you happen to have bad sinus drainage or allergies ? That , if not under control can keep people from eating when they have the band as well .

Let us know what you find out . I would call the gastro every week and see if they have a cancellation , call in the am ! You might be able to get in sooner

HTH

Mindy

Well, I had my scope done - all seemed normal, and the gastro suggested band removal - something I've been seriously considering too. It's been 4 months now & I'm still on very small amounts of liquid foods. I saw my banding surgeon today and he told me that if I removed the band I'd regain all the weight I've lost in 12 months. I've lost a total of 41kg/90lbs, but I feel lousy. I have no energy, my blood pressure is very low so I'm dizzy all the time, and my folate & Iron levels are low. I'm supposed to be job-hunting but I haven't been well enough to work. :)

I don't want to regain weight, but I can't keep living like this. My surgeon is going to do a scope himself on Friday to see if he can spot any problems that may have been missed. His other theory is that my oesophagus (sp?) isn't moving food through properly. I think that's possible, but it's also possible that he doesn't want to admit that the band doesn't work for some people. :thumbup:

Well, I had my scope done - all seemed normal, and the gastro suggested band removal - something I've been seriously considering too. It's been 4 months now & I'm still on very small amounts of liquid foods. I saw my banding surgeon today and he told me that if I removed the band I'd regain all the weight I've lost in 12 months. I've lost a total of 41kg/90lbs, but I feel lousy. I have no energy, my blood pressure is very low so I'm dizzy all the time, and my folate & Iron levels are low. I'm supposed to be job-hunting but I haven't been well enough to work. :)

I don't want to regain weight, but I can't keep living like this. My surgeon is going to do a scope himself on Friday to see if he can spot any problems that may have been missed. His other theory is that my oesophagus (sp?) isn't moving food through properly. I think that's possible, but it's also possible that he doesn't want to admit that the band doesn't work for some people. :thumbup:

I am sorry you are having problems. And sorry abut the possiblity of removal. Have you spoken to the doc or considered having a revision done to a sleeve if you have to have it removed ? That could be a possibility ? GOod luck !

Mindy

First off I am sorry for your problems.. I have my own... Are you drinking protien drinks to keep your energy level up? If not do so ASAP>>.

I have been having problems swallowing since I got the band 9 months ago and the Dr kept telling me its normal..NOT!!! I had an upper GI and it said my esophagus has narrowed by the band.. Then had an endoscopy and it showed everything was fine but I had a little acid reflux.. They say sometimes you dont even know you have it.. which I did not.. BUT this Dr said he could NOT dialate my esophagus which is what I need done... A new Dr said it can be done and I will see him march30th to talk it all over with him...

I cant swallow but I dont throw up... I eat a lot of ice cream.. I have lost 56 lbs since june .. Some days I think if I have to live this way for the rest of my life can I?.. If I ever have teh band removed I WILL look into the gastric sleeve, But I wont go back to teh weight I was...

Hope the Dr can help.. Ask then if your esophagus has narrowed?..

Your friend,

Rose

Hi all. I'm currently taking a small dose of diazepam (valium) as a muscle relaxant to try & relax the oesophagus as my surgeon thinks perhaps my oesophagus is spasming? I've been taking them for 3 weeks now and am able to take in a little more volume of liquids, but still no more of mushies/solids.

After reading a few other similar sounding stories I believe that my body just isn't adjusting to the band. I've had these problems now for almost 5 months, and I've lost a total of 99lbs since banding, and am below my goal weight & still losing.

My surgeon told me that if I have the band removed I'll regain all 99lbs that I've lost. He has no sympathy and doesn't seem concerned at my unhealthy diet (sugary liquids/soups) or rate of weight loss. I'm going to ask my GP for a referral to the one other banding surgeon in the state, but I'm worried about how long it will take for me to get an appointment with him.

I feel like I've given this thing long enough to be fixed, and tried several different meds with no real success. I can't stay on a liquid diet forever, so I'm thinking that band removal has to happen.

wow, i am also no feeling so great. i have reflux now, my GP won't scope me wants to do 8 week treatment of Prilosec first. My band doc did i guess a barrium swallow(nasty bitter thin liquid then watch on screen??) He says my band is in perfect position and doesnt see a slip. But my major concerns are for the last 2 weeks i am nauseas on and off during the day. Last night i had body tremors for like 10 min. I also today seem to have pain in my left back shoulder and neck area. Im really miserable. I don't know if it has anything to do with the band but grrrrr right now it sucks. I am completely unfilled and am able to eat no problem LOL.. i hope you can get to feeling better. Heck i hope i feeel better here soon to. I just totally feel like crud. OHHH yea and my hands will get really cold for no apparent reason to. geesh im fallin apart.

Edited by armywife4life

Well, I'm having my band removed next Tuesday. It's been nearly 5 months on a liquid diet now, and I just can't cope with the weakness & illness anymore.

Thanks for all the support everyone. Armywife4life, I hope your symptoms sort themselves out soon - reflux really is horrible. My hands and feet have also been very cold most of the time, I'm not sure if this is because my circulation is bad from lack of nutrition or just because I no longer have that layer of fat keeping my body warm lol.

I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a miserable time. Has anyone checked your gall bladder? I have been suffering with nausea and vomiting every time I eat for about four months now. My gastroenterologist did an ultrasound of my gall bladder and said it looked fine, but my Bariatric Surgeon ordered a HIDA scan with ejection fraction, and low and behold my gall bladder is trying like crazy to eject bile, but having very little success. The net result is pressure, nausea, and vomiting. Just a thought as gall bladder problems are often linked to rapid weight loss. Good Luck.