Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS & the Lap Band?

I have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and was wondering if anyone out there has it and how it affected your weight loss with the band. Do you take Metformin to control it? If you do, how does it affect you? Can you still lose weight with the band if you have PCOS?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

karen

I also have PCOS and am down 54 lbs since July. I have had no problem, but I do make sure I get my exercise in. I was on Metmorphin but when I go back to the doctor since all my labs have now been normal they make take me off or reduce the dose. I used to have maybe 3 periods a year, now i'm am so regular like clockwork! Good Luck!

I have PCOS and I lost 105 lbs in the 7 months after surgery before getting pregnant in September. I didn't continue Metformin because my OB/GYN worried that it might cause blood sugar fluctuations with the smaller portions of food I could eat. I went from having horrible, constant bleeding due to the hormone imbalance of severe PCOS to having regular periods by summer time and even falling pregnant without Metformin (my other two children were conceived while on Metformin because I usually didn't ovulate without it). I worried that my PCOS might cause my weight loss to be slow, but surprisingly, it was quite the opposite.

Hi - just wanted to let you know a few things -

First, there is a PCOS group here on the website if you are interested...

Second, if you search the forums for "pcos" you find a TON of various posts all about pcos (a lot to search through, but another resource if you really want it)

Third, I have PCOS and was pretty bad before the lapband. I had no periods at all for almost 7 years and I was on both Metformin (max dose) and Avandia (and then Actos, which is similar) I stopped taking both the metformin and the actos before the surgery (per the surgeon) and I haven't gone back on them since. I have begun to occasionally have spotting (again - a huge deal when you haven't had this in 7 years!!) and obviously I haven't had an issue with losing weight! (I'm down 53 lbs now, as you can see in the signature!!) I feel better than I have in YEARS!!

Finally, I wanted to relate some information that my doctor gave me when I basically asked the same question of him (an endo). He said that the band is just a tool and I have to eat right, follow the rules and exercise. BUT he also said that they don't know all the reasons of why certain people have metabolic disorders (which PCOS is) and how hormones play into it all, etc. He said that they (doctors) expected the band to help with PCOS symptoms because it helps the patient lose weight, which is a big part of breaking the PCOS cycle (as someone else mentioned here with insulin resistance, etc). BUT in studies, they found that people with PCOS and the band respond better than the control group that lost the same amount of weight in the same amount of time using just diet and exercise. So obviously there is something else going on there, but they don't know what or why. The women in the study ended up at the point that had they gone to the doctor now, they would no longer be diagnosed with PCOS because they has so few of the symptoms. Here is a link to that actual study:

The Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Associated with Morbid Obesity May Resolve after Weight Loss Induced by Bariatric Surgery -- Escobar-Morreale et al. 90 (12): 6364 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

I know that is a ton of information, but given that I have the same problem and issues and have so much success, I thought I'd pass it all along. Getting the band was the best decision I have made for myself - LOVE IT! :smile2:

Wow Jaime! Congrats on the pregnancy and weight loss! My daughter was conceived by fertility medications and intrauterine insemination, we were luck that it worked the first time around, but like you it was never ending bleeding that would happen a few times a year. I'm hoping to have one more baby and with my cycles being so regular now I sure hope it will mean I dont have to go through those treatments again!

Wow Jaime! Congrats on the pregnancy and weight loss! My daughter was conceived by fertility medications and intrauterine insemination, we were luck that it worked the first time around, but like you it was never ending bleeding that would happen a few times a year. I'm hoping to have one more baby and with my cycles being so regular now I sure hope it will mean I dont have to go through those treatments again!

With my first, we tried for two years, used Clomid and inseminations and conceived once but it was a chemical pregnancy. I was on Clomid alone for 3 months without even ovulating, then added Metformin and Clomid and finally started ovulating. We took a break for a few months, with me just taking Metformin, and got pregnant. When my first was a year old, I started Metformin again because it had always helped with my weight. Within a month, I was pregnant again. My older two are 5 and 7 and we thought we were done. I never imagined I'd get pregnant without at least being on Metformin.

Thank you to everyone! I am so thankful for the help and I would love to join the PCOS support group. Can anyone tell me where to find it?

Thanks,

Karen

HI - Sorry it took so long to get this to you!! If you go to the home page, look on the left side and scroll down until you see "Lap Band Support Groups". If you click on that, it will open a new page. Then scroll down until you see "Lap Band Support Groups" Then keep scrolling until you see the sub-heading "Special Interest Lap Band Support Groups" and the second entry under that is the PCOS group.

Here is the link (but I also wanted to let you know how to get there normally so you don't have to come back to this entry or in case the link doesn't work!):

PCOS Bandsters - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

Good Luck!!

Hi ladies! I am a lurker on this site, this is my first post. I, too, have PCOS and TTC for 3 years before ending up doing IVF which resulted in twin girls! My weight goes up and down dramatically...when I was pregnant with my girls, I lost 65 lbs!!!! And I was TRYING to gain....then after they were born, I did EVERYTHING in my power to keep the weight off, but gained every pound back in less than a year. I have my surgery on the 26th, and frankly am getting more scared everyday. I am worried about so many things, right now I am battling the "carnation" diet....I have to eat a meal a day at least to keep my blood sugar normal. I just finished a bowl of clear Soup, so I am not really cheating too badly. I am excited at the thought of finally being able to be a normal woman and have periods and maybe, just maybe have another baby in the future. Thanks for sharing your stories!!!

i was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. The Metformin made me so freakin sick that I stopped taking it like 3 months after they gave it to me. It didnt seem to help anyways. Im hoping that the weight loss in general from the lapband will help me alot . I get it in a few weeks. i cant wait :(