Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why would I want RNY Bypass??

Hi Everyone,

I just had my initial consultation with the surgeon for the Lap-Band, and he and my husband are both strongly suggesting gastric bypass instead.

I cannot think of a good reason to do it this way, and I am looking for some good arguments.

What are your thoughts? If you had it to do all over again, would you choose RNY bypass? If so, why?

What are the differences in dietary restrictions as far as what kinds of foods are permissable? Anyone?

Thanks in advance for your input.

At the end of the day, you have to make the decision that works best for you. But here are some of the things I thought about:

Lap Band - reversible, no food was completely off limits (later learned that carbonation is bad), less invasive, less risky ( in terms of # of deaths per surgery) and adjustable.

Bypass - not reversible, not adjustable, higher risk of death during surgery, food issues (dumping with sugar).

Do what's right for you. Good luck.

Take them out of the equation and get the surgery YOU want. In the end, you'll be the one living with your decision. They both have good success and both can be "eaten around".

TMM,

I went into the informational seminar wanting an RNY and came out wanting a lapband so I think information is key. First of all, do what feels best to you. I had a very strong feeling that I need someone to squeeze my stomach to help me stop eating. I do not mean to speak poorly of anyone but maybe attend another informational seminar and get a second opinion?

1) RNY= quicker weight loss.

2) Statistically, the average weight loss over 5 years is greater with RNY.

3) Dumping Syndrome can be a GOOD reminder that you are eating crap and you'd better cut it out...

Those are some of the reasons you might want RNY. Remember you are coming to a Lap-Band board, so most of the answers you get are going to be very "pro-band." I myself am pro-band because I was highly successful with it. However, you asked why someone would want RNY and I want to tell you the honest truth, not just the reasons you wouldn't want it. That does not help you make an informed decision.

People talk about the band being reversible. You need to go into any surgery you have thinking of it as a one shot deal. Saying the band is reversible gives you an 'out' if you're not successful. You can choose to blame it on the band and go for a revision, instead of considering that you in some way may not be making it as successful as you could be.

Do all of your research and consider ALL sides. so many people don't and end up regretting or questioning their decision later.

The first doctor I spoke with does both LapBand and RNY surgeries. He refuses to do RNY on anyone over 50, his people also stated that most of his patients have done over 200 hours worth of research before deciding on the surgery. (For various reasons, I did not have this doctor do my surgery).

Ultimately, you need to do the research on all methods of weight loss surgery, perhaps talk with your primary care doctor or other medical personel and make the decision that is best for you.

I agree with everyone else . . . research, research, research and when you think you are done, research some more. No one knows your body and your habits better than you and your doctors so you are definitely the best person to make that decision.

I chose lapband because it was less invasive and less risky. At first I didn't like that I had to go in for fills and would have to pay for them . . . now I think that is the best part because I can choose along with my doctor the best restriction level that keeps my weight moving where I need it to be.

I didn't like that many people have a lot of problems with Vitamin deficiencies and other health problems post R&Y. I take Vitamins as a bandster . . . but I know I have almost all of my needs met through my diet and feel that the Vitamins just give me a boost rather than offsetting potentially severe deficiencies. Absorption of vitamins and healthy foods is better with banding.

One big difference between R&Y and banding is the dumping syndrome. If you tend to be a milkshake fan or consume a lot of sweets . . . dumping syndrome is an easy reminder not to do that. The band will not prevent you from making these kinds of bad choices . . . you have to prevent bad food choices yourself. Junk food goes down all too easy with the band even with restriction.

I feel that the band allows me to eat anything I want in limited quantities . . . and I make good food decisions because I want to be successful more so than the band forces me to be good.

I also wanted a baby and I felt that I would be better off with banding nutritionally in that I could have it unfilled and eat normally when required.

The band was the perfect choice for me . . . but had my circumstances been different, R&Y could have also been a viable choice as well. Good luck with your decision.

I compared both. I really wanted to lose the weight over night but I wasn't willing to take the risk of having pieces of me cut out and or rerouted without it being reversable.

I first of all wanted to have another baby. I wanted to be able to have something that was less invasive, reversable, and adjustable. That is everything the band is. I control it along with my doctors help. Another benefit like mentioned before is there isn't off limit foods. Some things are easier to eat but everything is edible. I was a volume eater. I would sit down to eat and it was how much and how fast can I shove this food in. With the band I just physically cannot do that. I sit down and eat about 1/2 cup MAX and do it very slowly. I think I eat a sweet maybe 2 x per year even before being banded so I didn't want to give up everything like that. I am very happy with the success I have had with my band.

While the bypass patients lose faster and they probably lose more, when they have complications they have complications. The kinds of complications that come up for them are life-threatening: stomach juices leaking into the abdominal cavity and possibly leading to sepsis, severe malnutrition necessitating lifelong IV infusions, seizure disorders (it's true!), and even starving to death. While many bypass patients do just fine, a high enough percentage of them have these severe complications to make me wary of the procedure, as long as I have a safer alternative - after all, how do you know won;t be one of them?

Complications with the band are only rarely life threatening - and the procedure is completely reversible if need be. If a port flips, they fix it. If the band slips, the either fix it or take it out. You might not lose as fast, and you might not lose as much, but if you work your band you can do very well without risking your life. The bypass has 10 times the death rate as the lap band, and that's just on the day of surgery - over time I can't imagine it gets better when you see those complications that can happen down the road for them.

What I'm doing is I had the lap band. I plan on working with the band by following a diet until I get to the point of restriction, and even then I might continue to follow a diet. If I fail at this, the bypass will still be there in 5 or 10 years, but I will have tried the safer method first.

You Tube is actually a good place to get first-hand accounts of people who have suffered severe complications. Good luck.

People on both sides of the issue tend to be vocal about their side. I started on one side and went over to the other. I went to the surgeon wanting lap band but am going to have RNY gastric bypass instead. I have lots of weight to lose and have several co-morbidities, plus I'm over 50. The malabsorption aspect actually helps if you're diabetic. Many RNY patients lose their need for diabetes medicine very soon after leaving the hospital.

The risk of dying is only slightly higher with RNY. It helps if you have an experienced doctor and go to a Center of Excellence, which my insurance requires. The RNY is reversible, according to my doctor. You're much more likely to die without surgery than with it.

Personally, I like the idea that after my surgery, I'm done with procedures and I don't have to get band fills.

That's just my personal feelings. You need to choose what you're most comfortable with.

Good luck! I wish you much success. :thumbup:

People on both sides of the issue tend to be vocal about their side. I started on one side and went over to the other. I went to the surgeon wanting lap band but am going to have RNY gastric bypass instead. I have lots of weight to lose and have several co-morbidities, plus I'm over 50. The malabsorption aspect actually helps if you're diabetic. Many RNY patients lose their need for diabetes medicine very soon after leaving the hospital.

The risk of dying is only slightly higher with RNY. It helps if you have an experienced doctor and go to a Center of Excellence, which my insurance requires. The RNY is reversible, according to my doctor. You're much more likely to die without surgery than with it.

Personally, I like the idea that after my surgery, I'm done with procedures and I don't have to get band fills.

That's just my personal feelings. You need to choose what you're most comfortable with.

Good luck! I wish you much success. :thumbup:

RNY is theoretically reversible but it is a verrrry difficult procedure to reverse. You have to go into it assuming it cannot be reversed.

I fully understand your thinking and see where you are coming from.