Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I just being impatient?

Since my surgery on 22 OCtober, I have lost about 25 pounds. BUT since my first adjustment, which was on 17 November, I have only lost MAYBE 3 pounds. It's almost four weeks now.

I don't feel "full" after eating, and matter of fact, I can eat the same amount that I did prior to the surgery. I am scheduled for another adjustment in 10 days.

My doctor did say that until the band was properly inflated properly and that since sometimes trial and error was best before the optimum fill level had been reached, that I would see less weight gain.

Has ANYONE else had this issue or should I just be patient?

Mike - I'm where you are. I had my first fill on Dec 1 and called this week for a second fill. I'll be interested to watch this thread to see what others might offer.

Thanks for the post!

I scheduled a second fill two weeks after my first fill, and then a third fill two weeks later. The doctor had me do a barium swallow under x-ray prior to my third fill, and I was still pretty wide open, and he said that I definitely could use more fill for good restriction. For almost two weeks, I was never hungry between meals, and I could only hold 1/2 cup of food maximum. Now, almost four weeks later, I might feel a twinge of hunger after about four hours, but not too much.

It's all about getting to the optimal restriction for yourself. I'm still able to eat bread, meat, etc without getting stuck. I don't think I'll want to be much more restricted. I see it as sort of a dance between feeling satisfied and getting to the point that I have to be very careful of what I eat.

I could still eat more than a half of cup of food, but not much more. Prior to this last fill, I could have eaten a lot more, but I chose not too. I measure almost every meal and stop when the food is gone. I'm almost always satisfied. I think if I had more restriction, the band would give me a definite stop, but for now, this is working well for me.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I got some valuable insight from almost every response.

For me, this has just been a minor bump in the road on my ultimate journey.

Thanks again, everyone!:rolleyes2:

Hi Mike, hang in there and don't get discouraged...I had the same problem. As you can see by my stats, they were pretty aggressive with my first fill but I was still getting hungry between meals and still able to eat as much as before as long as I chewed well. My doc waits a month in between but it was actually 5 weeks before I could get another appointment. I did lose about 10 pounds in between but with what I have to lose it's a miniscule amount. I definately feel a difference in restriction since my fill on Thursday so hang in there. You didn't put it on overnight, that's what I keep telling myself anyway...

Hi Mike, I am feeling the same way you are. I had my surgery on 10/29/08. At the time of surgerymy doctor filled my band with 1.5 cc's. About 1 week after surgery my band became so tight with the swelling and I became very very nauseated. I had to have the Fluid removed. I had my first fill on 12/5/08 and they replaced the 1.5 cc's they took out. I do not feel any restriction from the fill and my weight loss is at a standstill. I can eat anything but try not to. I get my 2nd fill on 1/2/09. I hope I feel some restriction after that fill. I too am a little impatient and want to start seeing some results. :)

Since my surgery on 22 OCtober, I have lost about 25 pounds. BUT since my first adjustment, which was on 17 November, I have only lost MAYBE 3 pounds. It's almost four weeks now.

I don't feel "full" after eating, and matter of fact, I can eat the same amount that I did prior to the surgery. I am scheduled for another adjustment in 10 days.

My doctor did say that until the band was properly inflated properly and that since sometimes trial and error was best before the optimum fill level had been reached, that I would see less weight gain.

Has ANYONE else had this issue or should I just be patient?

You must not be eating the same as you used to or you would not have lost 3 pounds. And, a pound a week is a reasonable and good loss!

re: "I don't feel "full" after eating"

What we are looking for, is becoming aware of being "not hungry"....

Eating until "full" is what got us all into being members of the Morbidly Obese Club.

I was surprised to find my own notions of what was 'full' actually was ongoing prime example of 'OVEReating'....and I'd done it for decades despite thousands of diets and various therapies.

The little voice saying 'not hungry now' needs to be recognized and heeded. "Hunger" that isn't satisfied by eating is not a physical issue anyway.

This is what I'm trying to recognize!! Seems like "full" creeps up on me before "not hungry" shows up!!! I really have to work on that part! I'm always afraid if I stop too soon I'll be hungry again in a half hour! I suppose I'll get it after awhile.

What does pysch counseling have to do with Mike's question?

I think psych counseling has a lot to do with the band. If you don't fix your head about food, I think you will have a much harder time having long term success. My doctors have put me through the ringer because I have a food addiction. How else did I get to 332 pounds? I can tell myself all day long that I got here because I like the taste of food but that's not true. I love food because it comforts me, it makes me happy when I'm mad, it calms me when I'm having a stressful day, food does a lot for me. I was wondering if Mike had counseling because even before my band I no longer looked at food the same and I couldn't hold as much. He has done a good job and should be proud of what he has been through and accomplished. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking his success. I'm just wondering if he had thought about counseling. Different things help different people and I'm not ashamed to say my counselor had helped me more than anyone in my life deal with my food issues.

Edited by ~Mauriah~