Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband in mexico, have some questions

after doing alot of research i think im going to mexico to get lap band. im in alberta a few hours from calgary. are fills covered by alberta health care? if so where can i go to get them? read that there are a few docs in calgary that do it. if it is not covered how much should i expect to pay? also i read on here that a part of cost of surgery i can get back from alberta health care, is that correct? if so how much should i get back do you think? if there are any complications will i have trouble getting treatment up here?

I would just caution you to get an ironclad arrangement for fills in place before you go to Mexico.

We often hear that people who are banded elsewhere have a great deal of difficulty finding aftercare.

This is not to discourage you at all from Mexico - as there are excellent surgeons and clinics there - but aftercare is essential. Sometimes if you factor in the cost of travel and expenses for fills, the cost of Mexico isn't viable.

If you haven't already done so, be sure you do a thorough research of not only where to have the band but the aftercare as well. Fills are not the only thing you should be aware of. For instance, some posts have shown ER doctors are not aware of the band and will tell you to go back to your surgeon. Or the port has flipped. The Canadain Medical does cover you for emergencies though. Talk to your GP and see what knowledge they have and how they would be able to help including doing fills. I have a list of questions that another bandster composed and would be willing to send it to you if you wish.

after doing alot of research i think im going to Mexico to get lap band. im in alberta a few hours from calgary. are fills covered by alberta health care? if so where can i go to get them? read that there are a few docs in calgary that do it. if it is not covered how much should i expect to pay? also i read on here that a part of cost of surgery i can get back from alberta health care, is that correct? if so how much should i get back do you think? if there are any complications will i have trouble getting treatment up here?

I was banded in Canada and had a fill doctor set up before having my surgery because I live quite a distance from the clinic and after surgery, he backed out. So I was left with no fill doc and had to make the trip back to Toronto 3 times before the clinic finally found 2 fill nurses within 2 hours of me.

The only medical emergency they will do with the band is band removal and nothing more. A flipped port, a disconnected port, a slip, none of them are considered emergencies and if you showed up at an ER with any problems at all, the only thing that they would offer to do was remove the band. Make sure you talk to your family doc and potential fill doc to see exactly what they will or won't do for you. You'd hate to end up thinking one thing and ending up with another. Good luck with your research.

Gosh! Darn! your first paragraph is an exact description of what I went through. And I thought I was the only one. I actually believed that no one else was having long distance problems. Thanks for posting if for no other reason, you made me feel like I am not alone.

I was banded in Canada and had a fill doctor set up before having my surgery because I live quite a distance from the clinic and after surgery, he backed out. So I was left with no fill doc and had to make the trip back to Toronto 3 times before the clinic finally found 2 fill nurses within 2 hours of me.

Doddie,

I"m not a TLBC patient and I was always told that until they had fill docs/nurses set up around the country that I might have to go back to Toronto so I was prepared. My family GP was all on board to do my fills and when I had the surgery, he changed his mind and said he'd only do a defill in an emergency so I had to return for the first few fills then I found a local surgeon that will do fills on me but now the clinic has arrangements with 2 fill nurses within 2 hours of me so it's much better. I don't even bother going to the local surgeon anymore because he was only doing it as a favour to me and I always felt a bit guilty that he'd not even charge me for his time. Now I gladly pay the fill nurses and feel zero guilt. Follow up for fills is by far one of the most important things we need to have in place and more of the clinics in Canada seem to be making arrangements for their long distance patients. My clinic has fill docs/nurses in all provinces now so I know that no matter where I happen to move to or go on vacation, I can easily get an adjustment.

Ditto for me too. I go to a lapband surgeon here and he charges me $80.00 for a visit. He no longer takes other surgeons' patients but I was lucky. Now my clinic has a fill doctor here but I am not interested in leaving my surgeon.

Now, I try to help others just starting out by reminding them that having the surgery is just the start. There is the more important aspect of aftercare.

Merry Christmas and a very good New Year

Doddie,

I"m not a TLBC patient and I was always told that until they had fill docs/nurses set up around the country that I might have to go back to Toronto so I was prepared. My family GP was all on board to do my fills and when I had the surgery, he changed his mind and said he'd only do a defill in an emergency so I had to return for the first few fills then I found a local surgeon that will do fills on me but now the clinic has arrangements with 2 fill nurses within 2 hours of me so it's much better. I don't even bother going to the local surgeon anymore because he was only doing it as a favour to me and I always felt a bit guilty that he'd not even charge me for his time. Now I gladly pay the fill nurses and feel zero guilt. Follow up for fills is by far one of the most important things we need to have in place and more of the clinics in Canada seem to be making arrangements for their long distance patients. My clinic has fill docs/nurses in all provinces now so I know that no matter where I happen to move to or go on vacation, I can easily get an adjustment.

Bartman22,

I don't know what clinic you are thinking of going to, so I can only speak from my experience at the clinic I went to in Mexico. I was banded recently at the OCC by Dr. Ortiz and had a fantastic experience. I have worked in several hospitals in Canada, and no place has impressed me as much as Dr. Ortiz's clinic. I would also recommend that you have some plan for where you will be going for your fills after your surgery. If you google Northwest Fills Management, you will find a list of fill doctors, and there are a few of them in your area. You can also ask the patient care coordinator to send you a list of fill doctors. I plan to go back to Dr. Ortiz for my first fill, as they do it under fluroscopy and since they did my surgery, they will have their file on me. I may likely get my subsequent fills from a local dr.

As to aftercare and who to talk to when concerns about the band arise, Dr. Ortiz's clinic is within reach by telephone at any hour, day or night. When you are discharged, you are given the cell phones of all the doctors there as well as the direct lines to the clinic. I am three weeks post-surgery and have not yet had to call them for anything. They also have their own forum called lapbandforum.com, which I have found very helpful in being able to share my daily paranoid reactions to various things that happen post-band. Most of the posters have been banded by Dr. Ortiz, although several have been banded elsewhere, and I've found it very helpful to be able to talk to people who have been banded at the same place and have followed the same pre-op and post op diets, etc.

This isn't an advertisement for the clinic I was banded in, but I wanted to share what my experience has been. Educate yourself and continue to get more opinions from others who have had their bands done in Mexico, as this will give you more information on how the aftercare experience actually is for these particular patients.

after doing alot of research i think im going to Mexico to get lap band. im in alberta a few hours from calgary. are fills covered by alberta health care? if so where can i go to get them? read that there are a few docs in calgary that do it. if it is not covered how much should i expect to pay? also i read on here that a part of cost of surgery i can get back from alberta health care, is that correct? if so how much should i get back do you think? if there are any complications will i have trouble getting treatment up here?

AHC covers about $1,600

complications - they do banding at the Peter Lougheed so there is someone available for emergencies, but expect them to just remove(whether its a MX band or Toronto) Alternatively, be prepared to jump on the next plane south and have your original surgeon make the repairs.

Fills - You will have trouble finding a Cdn Dr to fill a Mx band, they have been told there is a lot of extra liability attached so they are currently reluctant. Someone is arranging for a fill nurse to travel to do fills in Alberta. Thats been posted on here somewhere. Worse case, it will cost about a grand per fill to travel down to Mx, stay over, have a fill and return. As it was probably 8,000 cheaper in MX than toronto, you have lots of funds left over to get fills.

Good luck

yeah its too bad the economy and the dollar suck right now. just in september the dollar was par, now i gotta fork out another 1500 because of the dollar. at least it shouldn't be a problem with fills in calgary though

I am getting mine done at the OCC in Mexico on Dec 22 by Dr. Martinez. I am able to get fills free at the Grande Prairie hospital with an order from my family doctor :shades_smile:

I am sooooo excited ( and nervous of course! )

OH! Also - Alberta Health care said they would re-emburse me roughly $1700 - and my private health insurance will pay for the rest - I never thought they would but called to ask. They said as long as my doctor would give them a letter stating why - which is to hopefully assist in lowering myblood pressure after the weight is gone. She had no problem doing this and now will be getting the money back - yup, even from mexico. So you never know! The worst they can say is no! I would get it in Canada - but our health insurance is such that we have $2500 per family member and for the year we only have $5600 left so that is all I can get back. Plus, since its the end of the year I dont mind using it...if it were in January I wouldnt use it in case we needed it for kids dental or anything else!

:confused:

Edited by mansaw

Bartman22,

I don't know what clinic you are thinking of going to, so I can only speak from my experience at the clinic I went to in Mexico. I was banded recently at the OCC by Dr. Ortiz and had a fantastic experience. I have worked in several hospitals in Canada, and no place has impressed me as much as Dr. Ortiz's clinic. I would also recommend that you have some plan for where you will be going for your fills after your surgery. ...

As to aftercare and who to talk to when concerns about the band arise..

Hi VanGirl,

I'm now seriously considering changing from going to Dr.Leung in Surrey to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. Please tell me about your aftercare arrangements - what would you do in case of complications - is there someone locally who will deal with it? Please give more details on why you were impressed by the clinic. I look forward to hearing more about how things went!

Cheers,

K:thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I was just banded in Mexico at Hospital Angeles (Dr. Lopez Corvala) on Dec 13 and so far, so good. Before I left I investigated fills in Washington State, since BC doctors that do fills seem few and far between. There is a clinic called Fills Northwest near Everett that does fills and takes Canadian patients ($150 per fill).

I am also interested in getting in touch with BC lap-band recipients. Anyone out there?

welcome to bandster land. I am from N.Van. Who did youwish to get in touch with?

Hi everyone,

I was just banded in Mexico at Hospital Angeles (Dr. Lopez Corvala) on Dec 13 and so far, so good. Before I left I investigated fills in Washington State, since BC doctors that do fills seem few and far between. There is a clinic called Fills Northwest near Everett that does fills and takes Canadian patients ($150 per fill).

I am also interested in getting in touch with BC lap-band recipients. Anyone out there?