Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight when switched to solids?

I lost quite a bit pre and post op. But now that I'm on solids and have no fill, I've gained a few pounds back:frown:

I'm trying hard to follow the rules about how much to eat. I'm learning to take small bites and eat Protein first, etc. But darn it, I'm starving by the end of the day. I still have 3 weeks until a fill and am worried I'll gain the weight back. The doctor says don't worry about it, this isn't the time for losing, this is the time for healing and re-learning how to eat. But it bothers me. Should I just suck it up and go back to starving until my fill or not worry about it? Is this just me?

This is frequently referred to as bandster hell. Most everybody experiences it, although there are a few lucky souls who've avoided it. It takes a lot of will power to lose weight during the period. Be patient and stay focused. It's a daily battle. And remember, even after you start getting fills, it takes many people 2, 3, 4 or even more before they achieve significant restriction. That's why I scoff at people who say the band is cheating. They have no idea how much work it takes to be successful - especially in the beginning. Keep fighting - keep moving.

Brad

What are they waiting so long to give you a fill? I think I am getting a fill on Monday and I had my surgery on 12/2. Stay hydrated too...go back to mushies. I find that if I eat often (especially proteins) I lose weight more then when I dont' eat as often or as much. Are you staying active....that helps alos.....good luck

Most surgeons feel it is unsafe to give a fill prior to the 4-6 week postop mark because you are still healing. It is pretty unusual to have a fill as soon after surgery as you are, Sooverit.

Yeah BgB9 you're right smack in the middle of bandster hell, i went throught that around Thanksgiving and decided that i was going to enjoy it and worry about if i gained when i got my 1st fill. and come to find out i lost 2lbs, so don't worry about it or beat yourself up about it. It just feel a little scary not having that restriction, especially if you don't have a good hold on the mental part. for me the 1st fill was just a warm up and i think i'm ready for my 2nd fill. so i would'nt say starve yourself, but eat(healthy choices) and not worry about gaining right now. hang in there it will get better!

Sooverit- if i'm not mistaken you're probably going in for a check-up on your incisions and to see how you are healing. like gentlywind stated they usually wait 4-6 weeks before they do a fill, it really would be unsafe at this point to have one.

Thank you Tyme and Gently I really didn't know the fill is after 4-6 weeks. I think I misunderstood or read incorrectly, I am so relieved I really wasn't ready for a fill yet. I can tell I am losing restriction especially at night but I still feel in control for the first time in decades! thanks again.

Thanks for the responses and support. I don't have anyone around here that has had a band. Sooverit, I wasn't prepared for the loss of restriction as the post-op swelling went down. I went from getting full quickly to back to normal appetite. 6 weeks is average before the first fill to allow time to heal. Not entirely sure why my doc waits an extra two weeks, but can't argue with his success rate.

I know how you feel. I felt like I was starving on liquids and when he cleared me to start solids, it was like I had never ate before. I can only eat so much though, I get full and stay that way for several hours. I haven't gained any weight since eating solids....just stayed the same. I get a fill with x-ray on the 21st. My surgeon said after that things will be diffrent.

As much as I hate the thought of gaining even an ounce back either, now is the time we need to heal and get ready for really being banded. I have started telling people that my band has just been placed. I now must heal and it won't start working for me until I've had a couple fills. Secretly, I'm hoping it might be doing something to help me keep making good choices and lose a couple more pounds!!

I can relate, sort of. While I have not gained any weight back - I have come to a complete stop.

In an attempt to get ready for my fill and not gain any back, I am sticking to the 3 meals, 3 small Snacks a day suggested by my dietician. And journaling every calorie on FitDay.com and working hard to stay under 1000 calories.

I have found on the days where I'm being honest, writing everything down and staying high on the Protein I'm actually not hungry. And the one or two times I've felt like I could get out of control I go back to liquids. In my mind I'm taking it like I really can't eat. I'm doing all the small plate, 1/2 cup of food at a time stuff.

My friend who was banded in April and has lost 65lbs -- says that this is the time to really kick up the exercise as that can really help.

I am told once we are filled things will be different. Good Luck.

So glad to hear I am not the only one living in the bandster hell. I was begining to think this was a big mistake. I go in for my first fill on 12/22. I have no restriction and have started to gain weight back. UGH!!! I hope with a fill I can get some restriction especially with Christmas coming. :tongue2:

WannaBSkinnyB - yeah it kind of makes you question if you have the band, besides the scars to prove it that feeling is gone. after your 1st fill most Doctors put you back on liquids for 48hr and then back to solids. that's when i felt restriction better than i ever have before. i think i'm turning until a "Fill Junkie"..lol

When I transitioned into more solid foods, I jumped up nine pounds. I have since dropped down six of those again, so I am up just three pounds. I get filled on the 22nd as well and look forward to it. I am using special rubbermaid type cups to eat out of so that I don't go over the amount i am supposed to eat at one sitting. Often I find I want to keep eating even though I am honestly not hungry anymore....just not stuffed. The little cups help me know when its time to stop..and usually within 10 minutes the craving for more food stops as well, especially if I brush my teeth right away.

I am just two weeks after band placement and starting to feel hungry. Doc said this is mormal as the swelling of surgery is starting to go down, so yes healing. I am not eating as much as pre op and if I keep portions down to this size I will be at goal weight in not time. I have 1st fill booked 13th Jan, lets hope the 5kg I lost stays off until then.

When I transitioned into more solid foods, I jumped up nine pounds. I have since dropped down six of those again, so I am up just three pounds. I get filled on the 22nd as well and look forward to it. I am using special rubbermaid type cups to eat out of so that I don't go over the amount i am supposed to eat at one sitting. Often I find I want to keep eating even though I am honestly not hungry anymore....just not stuffed. The little cups help me know when its time to stop..and usually within 10 minutes the craving for more food stops as well, especially if I brush my teeth right away.

So the teeth brushing thing after each meal actually does something? I'm going to follow your idea of the little cups measuring. :)