Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just now seriously considering the lap-band surgery. I am, in fact, attending the first introductory session on Saturday.

I already know that I will not be covered by insurance b/c my BMI is too low. I am about 5'9.5" and 195lbs. I know that I am not the common lap-band candidate, but the site BMI calculator still said that I qualify. I am interested in the procedure b/c I want to change my lifestyle of food. I have read many postings, and I admire how the procedure requires commitment and a change in the way you view eating, food, and nutrition. I have dieted all my life, and I am really interested in this approach.

I guess my question is, do you post-surgery folks think that the lap-band is right for me? I am ready for a change!

I would say in the states you do not qualify, but you would possibly qualify other countries as a LOW BMI bandster... (do a search for Low BMI bandsters and you will get feedback)

I'm closing in on my 2 year bandversary and I would be REBANDED in a heartbeat if needed.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think that even though the website (in Dallas) says that I qualify they would deny me when I atttend the seminar? I have to drive in for it and I don't want to be rejected :wink:

How strict are they on these things if I am not trying to get insurance to pay?

I think it depends on the surgeon. I would Call them first before driving..... but good luck!!!! There used to be a pretty active thread on here for Low BMI bansters.

I am a low bmi bandster and had to self pay. My BMI was only 35 at the time of surgery and I did not have any co-morbidities either so I didn't even try to get my insurance to pay. But I KNEW I had to get this done because I was a mere 30lbs away from a BMI of 40 and everything that goes with it.

I called the doc's office first and tt them about it--they still had me go to the seminar and then I went thru all the rest. Bottomline-- it will be your surgeon's decision if he thinks you're a good candidate. It's not just about BMI.

Also-- my doc made it clear that I would not lose as fast as someone with a higher BMI and more to lose and I would have to really learn to eat right and exercise. He also said that there is a lot of research out there that the band is a great tool for low BMI patients as to prevent further weight gain and problems while losing weight too.....

Good luck!

In fact, there's quite a deal of evidence that the lapband works even better for people of lower BMI's.

I'm another low BMIer, 36 at the time of surgery. It worked absolutely brilliantly for me, and I was really thankful that my obesity had not progressed to the point where I was totally unfit, sedentary and my eating habits were worse than they already were. I found the adjustment pretty easy - for me it amounted to an old fashioned method of sticking to 3 healthy meals and cutting out junk - and I was able to start effective hard exercise (running) pretty much right away.

I lost about 100lb in 2 years, so it was slower than a lot, but I havent got much loose skin, I can wear a bikini in public at 41, which is pretty darn good I think. No jowels, batwing arms, hanging stomach. I think banding BEFORE you become morbidly obese is the way to go.

And in Australia, you'd be approved.

Thanks for the info. It is so helpful to hear from those who have been through it! This site is great. I am kinda flying solo on this b/c my family, though supportive, still thinks I am a bit crazy b/c I am not 100lbs overweight. Your testimonies are great. They show that lap-band is not a magic cure, but a great tool to help you achieve healthy goals. Thanks!

I got accepted! It was close, but with my clothes & such, I reached a 30 BMI and from that acceptance by my surgeon was easy. Yeah! I look forward to update postings after December 31!

I go in next week, and am going through www.trueresults.com

My BMI is 31-32. My insurance won't cover it, but I could wait a few more years so I have the health problems to go with it. They will do it for prevention, but you do have to be classified as obese. I don't know what your BMI is, so I don't know if you would be qualified.

I go in next week, and am going through www.trueresults.com

My BMI is 31-32. My insurance won't cover it, but I could wait a few more years so I have the health problems to go with it. They will do it for prevention, but you do have to be classified as obese. I don't know what your BMI is, so I don't know if you would be qualified.

I went through True Results & qualified very easily with just a 30 BMI. No, my insurance won't cover, I'm paying cash, but like you, I think it is worth it b/c I don't want to wait the few years to get to 35 & have the heath problems that go with it.

My surgery is December 31st!

Good luck - and to be banded on New Year's Eve is really something. You can have fun with your resolutions this year.