Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gotta see if anyone else is having this weird feeling.

Okay I know this is a weird question, but I will ask anyways...LOL I was banded Nov 13th...so that makes me almost 4 weeks post op.

On to the feeling I am having. Every morning when I get up (once the alarm goes off) while I am tossing and hitting the snooze button, I am getting this weird "squeezing" sensation. It is very hard to explain but IF you had it you would know it. It is not something that is painful or bothersome, just weird and I can't figure out for the life of me what it is. It is only happening in the morning after I have laid down through the night. Maybe it is a spasm?????

I emailed the Bariatric Coordinator since she has also had the LapBand and she hasn't had this sensation. So, I thought for my first question on the site that I would see if anyone else could fill me in.......PLEASE tell me I am not the only one....:angry_smile:

Edited by leapfrog0506

Where in your body do you feel the squeezing sensation?

Well I am thinking it is where I am banded....either the bottom of the esophagus or stomach. It is hard to explain exactly where it is. Nothing to do with heart....LOL It is just a really strange feeling....it doesn't hurt and it doesn't stick around.....it is just weird. I have an appt for my fill on Wednesday and I am going to ask the doc about it but just thought I would see if anyone else has had it.

Thanks.

Perhaps your pain is because of this : your esophagus muscle tightens when not used overnight. It must work to push food down thru the band and needs some " warm up " in the morning. This may also result from going to bed with a full stomach.

My surgeon told me this as wel as the pamphlet I received the day of my pre-op teaching.

I have felt what you are talking about. I only get it when I have slept on my stomach overnight. I wonder if we are just super sensitive to the feeling of the band sitting around the stoma. I don't know. It does just go away once I am up. I just assumed it was just me. Good to know I am not alone. I never asked the doctor's office about it since it didn't hurt and didn't cause me to not be able to eat or drink.

I think you are feeling your Esophogus and th upper portion of your new tummy. I remember feeling this tightening feeling when I first got up in the morning, ThenI discovered it was from being tight. I was getting on the treadmill at 430 am and could hardly swallow cool Water, so I switched to a little warm water or Decaf just before starting my walking. Only small sips, As the day goes on the feeling went away. Again, this was in the first few months post op. So I still had a internal fat tummy wall. As my weight loss grew this was no longer an issue. Sometimes I feel this now, very seldom. It tells me my band is working!! Reminds me to drink more water or fluids as well. Cannot eat during this feeling either, which is ok, I can get the extra fluids down. Good luck on becoming a bandster. I love my band 11 months oiut and down 62 lbs, 10 lbs from goal.

Every morning when I get up, my band feels really tight. No pain involved, but I feel pressure and tightness. I do not eat first thing in the morning, because of it. I drink warm tea or coffee and head off to work. I then eat Breakfast at work...by then I am not as tight.

I am a year post op and I still cannot sleep on my right side because I also get a weird, slightly painful "squeezing" sensation. I figured I am pushing/smashing something into my band. So, if you are feeling the same kind of thing, mine never went away.

I have heard that you can be tighter in the morning when you get up. Try drinking some warm tea or coffee. Ask the dr what it could be. good luck. :angry_smile:

Thank you Thank you Thank you...I am glad I am not crazy. I keep telling my husband about this feeling and he just looks at me like "Oooookay". LOL I don't think my band is too tight as I don't have much restriction right now. I do go get my first fill tomorrow. It may be the way I sleep. I sleep half on my right side and half on my stomach. I haven't gotten the courage to sleep on my left side yet (as my kids say that is Port side...not Starburt *sp* side..LOL).

I don't go to bed on a full stomach (eat too early for that) so I don't think that is it...I make sure I eat early enough I can drink a cup of milk before going to bed each night(nighttime routine). I could be just sensitive or it could be the way I sleep at night. And I am just Thankful it does go away and does not stick around. No problems eating or drinking. Don't eat Breakfast anymore I just down a Protein Shake to make sure I get all my Protein for the day but the sensation is not the reason for doing the protein shake at breakfast. I just find that I am not hungry enough to eat in the morning....never have been a breakfast person anyways. Although I love breakfast for supper.

Thanks for the replies so far....keep 'em coming.