Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with ground beef?

I can't not eat ground beef or even a hamburger patty. I've tried several times and it always comes back up. Last time I tried I chewed really good because I really wanted it to go down, but no. The sad part is my father is a cattle farmer and I get all the free beef that I want. I haven't even tried steak yet. I need to make a roast and try that, but just haven't.

Anyone else that can't eat ground beef? and if so why can't we?

The only beef I can eat is slow cooked pot roast. For me, beef is hard to break down to soft enough to go through the band. I occasionally eat a bite or two of steak if it's very tender and med-rare.

Wow, free beef, what a terrible position that puts you in. I practically live on chicken. Maybe your dad would like to try his hand with chickens? :-)

Wow, free beef, what a terrible position that puts you in. I practically live on chicken. Maybe your dad would like to try his hand with chickens? :-)

My dad is so anti chicken, he rarely even eats it. Anytime we are out at a restaurant together and we order chicken, he makes some comment about we should order beef. So I highly doubt that is a possibility.

I can not eat a hamburger either, whether from a restaurant or homemade. I've had ground beef in spaghetti sauce without a problem; I've not tried meat loaf. I can eat steak and roast beef without a problem as well a cold cuts if I chew well.

I can't have ground beef unless I chew and (gross) spit out the unchewable stuff. I can eat steak, chicken and pork if it's not tough though. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to eat sausage either, but haven't tried it. It's the grisly parts that gets stuck.

I have had no real problems with ground beef or any beef at all for that matter. I eat meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, hamburger patties, stuffed eggplant, etc. without a problem. I love steak and eat it about once a week. It actually goes down easier than the hamburger. My problem meats tend to be white meat chicken and dry fish. It's more a problem with the dryness. I have to eat it VERY slow. On the times I've PBd, it's usually had something to do with chicken. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does on ocassion. Especially if I'm really hungry and eat to fast.

I don't do ground beef either. Ground turkey is fine. I think the problem is the fat mixed in with the ground beef doesn't go down well (I believe this why I can't do sausage either). I've had roast and steaks (tender lean and juicy) go down perfect. So maybe you can get down that free beef tenderloin (yum).

Are the cattle raised on a 100% grass-fed diet? If not, the meat will be more fatty. If you're dying for a hamburger and the meat isn't grass-fed, I would try to find a Whole Foods or something that sells it. Otherwise, I would think roast or maybe even a filet/tenderloin (much less fat) might be better.

Same here,I cant do ground beef or sausages either. I am ok with nice a tender beef joint though,only small amounts. No matter how much I chew chew chew ground beef doesnt go down well.I have given up trying and just avioid it.!

I can do ground beef just fine. It takes smaller bites, a little more chewing and I have to eat slower but it does go down.

Hamburgers are a thing of the past for me...sadly because I love McDonalds hamburgers.

But when I crave one, I split it in half and start from the inside out. After a few bites, I'm satisfied.

But as far as big burgers like whoppers/big macs/homemade - I tried it once and will not EVER do it again.

But tacos are okay, so I don't have to give up beef altogether.

Steaks- gave them up as well.

Same as most of the others. I can eat steak - about 2 oz and I love it rare - yummo!

Ground beef is a tough one for me. DH came equipped as a great cook - here is how I can get some GB in:

He has this thing called loose meat sandwiches. He browns the ground beef then simmers it in chicken broth. We eat it on a romaine leaf. Cooked as "loose meat" I can eat the ground beef. It had great flavor, too.

We also don't buy anything less tha 85% lean - too lean and for me it is too dry.

I can't eat hamburger patties.. Once in a while I can get some sloppy joe mix down. I think its only because of the sauce makes it slide easier. If I just try to eat seasoned beef no way. I can eat steak though :thumbup: