Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I looked at the past five or six pages and haven't seen this topic yet...

My surgeon has ordered bowel prep the day before my surgery. Starting at 11:00 am, I'm scheduled to take four OsmoPrep tablets every 15 minutes with eight ounces of Water until all 16 tablets have been taken. The directions then go on to say "Do not eat any solids or liquid on the morning of your surgery."

But it doesn't state anywhere whether I'm supposed to stay on the Optifast pre-op diet the same day I'm doing the bowel prep.

Seems kinda counter-productive to eat (drink) during the day if I'm cleansing my bowel...

Isn't this a pleasant topic? :thumbup:

My doctor instructions for the bowel prep was this:

The day before surgery at 2:00 pm take the liquid bowel cleanse medicine (YUK!) and then drink plenty of Clear liquids and no eating. At midnight stop all liquids.< /p>

You should call your doctor for clarification. Good luck.

You really want to check with your doctor. I know that my doctor had me on nothing but Clear Liquids the day before surgery and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I would think that is what your doctor will want, but it is best to check with him/her to be sure. Good luck!

I agree, call your doctor. My instructions were to eat per his instructions for Breakfast and lunch, but then to begin bowel prep and only clear liquids until midnight, then NOTHING. I'm pretty sure he'll want you to discontinue the Optifast at some point because, like you said, why? it's just coming back out. But it's his call! :thumbup:

I'm too shy to call the doctor on Sunday, so instead I'm going to take the safest route (and the kindly advice from y'all) and drink one shake early in the morning with my Vitamins before I start the bowel prep.

Oh boy. I can't wait. :thumbup:

I think that's the safest route! And nothing at all after midnite, unless your doc specifically told you differently. IE if you have meds you must take (like a blood pressure pill) and you take them in the am, do that with just the barest amt. of Water. Good luck on Monday!

So how were your experiences with the osmoprep? I have to work Wednesday and also start taking it that morning for surgery on Thursday morning...

With a bowel prep its clear liquids so no, you wouldnt do Optifast that day. Stick to clears - Water, broth, apple juice.

Its not strictly necessary for band surgery because they dont actually do anything to your bowel but different surgeons like different things.

I just did mine... was supposed to be 2 oz of Milk of Magnesia, but it was thick and I have a sensitive gag reflex ... held it down for about 5 minutes then vomited it up (sorry, TMI I know) so then I had to run to the drugstore and get Magnesium Citrate which was akin to hte nastiest cherry soda I have ever had, but easier to drink, and supposedly stronger that MOM anyway...

For me, my diet ALL DAY was "clear liquids" which could also include apple, grape, or cranberry juice and Jello. I have had a LOT of Jello today, LOL but am so far fine... it's almost midnight, so i'm getting in my last few sips of Water...

My only problem today was I accidentally took one of my Gummy vites at 10 pm and didn't chew very well so I guess I technically ate something, but I don't think it will be a big deal, the Mag-Cit pretty much flushed me out... never quite experienced anything like that. I just hope I'm empty enough... I dont see how anything could be left...

Saturday all I had all day was a 2 slim fasts and 1/2 a chicken club sandwich, Sunday all I had was Slim Fast and today nothing but iced tea, juice and jello.

Best of luck to all!

I am starving. I have to do 2 days of clear liquids only diet and I am at the end of the first day only. I am starving. But I guess it is worth it. 1 day left till the surgery - I can do it.

The bowel prep represents a new stage, so no--no Optifast. It should be clear liquid, and some doctors specify certain of those to avoid (ones that are red in color, for example).