Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety about Banding Tomorrow!

Hey guys

I'm getting banding tomorrow morning!! Exciting, but I'm starting to have major doubts... but I think its just anxiety about having surgery.. I've never had any surgery or anasthesia before.

Anyways, I'm really freaking out over eating habits. I'm worried that after this surgery I'm going to eat less, but still eat CRAP all the time. I'm a college student and I really don't know how to cook, but I am very aware of what is healthy and what is not. How do you guys get over cravings?? How do you cook at first? What do you puree thats healthy and won't sabatoge you in the mushy phase?

How do you restrict your carbs?! I'm a complete carb addict and I'm worried that even if I cook my own foods, if I have carbs all the time I will yet again be a failure at weight loss.

Any tips, references, or books to get my mind prepared to not sabatoge myself?

Congrats on your surgery in the morning! Don't fret, you will go through a learning curve and figure out what works for you. It is especially important to follow your dr orders and stick to the plan that they prescribe for you. If they say Clear liquids for 3 days, that is what it is.

I have found that following the rules has been the best way to keep me on track. There are tons of great recipes and ideas for food in the nutrition and exercise forum. I found a ton of great ideas on what to eat and how to keep it simple and on track.

I too am a carb addict. That has been the hardest part about this whole process. I quit eating as many carbs pre-banding as I could, but it has been hard fighting back the urge to have a carb meltdown! I try to go low carb and get the urge out of my system, I thought I would die without bread, but I have found that I really don't need it. If you work to break the cycle, it will eventually become easier, but definitely something you will always have to watch for.

Make sure you plan out your meals and what you will need to prepare them. It is so important. I always know that I have food on a designated shelf in the fridge and cupboard and no one else is allowed to get into it. That way I can come home when I am tired and don't want to "cook" and I always have something that I can grab to eat. I also had to break the fast food habit, because it was so easy to just drive through!

I hope that this helps, good luck with the surgery!

Thanks for your advice! I too have my own shelf (for the pre-op liquid diet I got tons of 0 cal 0 carb drinks). I think you are also right about planning... maybe once I get to the mushy phase and real food phase I will just cook my food ahead of time and have it in the fridge for a few days...

My doctors are telling me I will be eating 80-100grams of Protein everyday for the rest of my life... so basically Protein at every meal. They said to have one 4 oz serving of protein and one 4 oz serving of veggies. OR one 4 oz serving of protein, and one 2 oz serving of veggies and 2 oz of starch (and they consider fruit a starch). for everyyyyy meal.

It seems easy and straightforward, but when it comes to applying it and cooking I become overwhelmed... and I'm just thinking about it! I will have to take it one day at a time I guess and get a recipe book :blush: I'm worried I will get bored with the structure of my meals... hardliy any carbs, ever. But I guess thats life! You gotta suck it up and do it to be successful, right?

Hope all goes well for ya this morning! Just had mine done yesterday morning. Prepare to hurt like you've never hurt before. .. until you get some pain meds in ya :P Then it's smooth sailing. I know what it's like to get bored with diets and want my carbs and unhealthy foods. . but you have to think of it like this. We were given the oppurutnity to get a tool to change our live around, and we can't give up on ourselves after going through such a dramatic change in our body. So I am just telling myself that, and telling myself i will use this TOOL and be a better ME...and once I lose all the weight, it will all be worth it!

Once again, hope all goes well! Keep us posted!!! :)

Just relax as best you can...you'll be fine.

One thing I found is that when I ate carbs, I starved. Stick to the low carb Protein drinks and if you do eat carbs, make sure they're complex. Brown rice, double Protein bread, etc. You'll notice your hunger isn't AS bad (still bad, though...at least for me).

I was banded on October 1st and here's what I do...I stick like glue to my low carb, high protein healthy diet. Then, on Sunday's (or a holiday like T-giving this week) I allow myself a big treat. For example, Applebee's has this triple chocolate meltdown that I share with a friend...I skipped this past Sunday for T-giving and fully intend to have 2-3 small pieces of different pie after eating only the turkey. It's obviously working because I've lost almost 25 pounds in 6 weeks. The reason is I don't feel like I'm missing out. If I crave pizza, then I wait until Sunday and have a piece or two. Ice cream? Same thing.

Stay as busy as you can...I rarely even think about food anymore until my stomach growls. I'm on the go so much I forget to eat at times.

Good luck and remember, you weren't perfect before and you won't be after. Just stay here with us and we'll get each other through it.

Much love and luck! :)

The cravings take care of themselves. You will find that your taste will change after surgery. Your restriction of amounts that you can east will not happen until 4 or more fills. Don't worry to much about the mushy part just follow what the doctors say to eat at that time. You may or may not lose at this point. After that if you stick to the rules and eat protien first you will not have room for anything else. It is a mind set to avoid the Snacks in between meals and if you fell the need to do so stick with healthy choices. I like string cheese and cashew nuts which have Protein, Peanut Butter has protien also.l

I was banded Jan. 2007 and have lost 167 pounds so it does work if you stick to the rules and try to walk a lot.

Bonnie

Allie - you won't have to totally give up carbs - you will just not be eating as much as you were. Try to have an occasional WW meal or a Lean Cuisine that has some Protein, veggie and Pasta all in one. It's portion controlled. You also might find that some carbs won't sit well with you and others will. Keep lookiing at it as just cutting back on amount- not cutting it out. Of course, I am not even on mushies yet but this has been the way I look at it .

Congrats on your upcoming surgery - you will do great! I am 2-1/2 weeks post op and feeling great! My advice to you is to give yourself 2 full weeks to recover. I really took it easy and eased into any type of activities - and when I hit the 2-week mark - it felt great. I've met other people who went back to full activities after one week and paid the price - tired, achey, just not healing well. Listen to your own body - you're young - you'll probaby heal faster than this 49 year old body!! I just received a great book from Amazon - Eating after weight loss surgery - I think it will be helpful to you too. Good Luck!

I was banded 10-24. The 1st few days were not painfree but bearable. Each day has been easier. I have lost 22 lbs. I also am a carb adict, but do not even want any. I ahve had a bite or 2 of baked potato ata at restaraunt, but I eat my prrotein 1st and I have no room left for carbs. I can however it is time for my 1st fill. I go Friday.

When you get to hospital everthing happens so fast. The worse part is dreading. Before you know you wake up and you are new banded life begins. You wil be fine. Kathy in KY:wink2:

I had major doubts also! However, went through with the surgery (which was a breeze) and am 2 weeks post and I am very thankful I had it done. I was a major carb addict also but amazingly enough have not even craved since surgery...Good Luck!