Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that is in this position. I just knew that when I got this surgery that I would be a "Results not Typical" person! Little did I know! I had surgery on Dec 26, 2007 and to date, I've lost 54 pounds. Very disappointing to say the least. I've had more trouble with the fills and have had to have ALL the saline removed and start back over on more than one occasion. The week of Thanksgiving I suddenly could not keep food or drink (not even water!) down at all and was throwing up anything I tried to drink. I went to my surgery center and found out that my band had slipped.

I admit that I have eaten some things over the past year that I shouldn't have, but for the most part, I have eating habits DRASTICALLY different than I used to which is why I'm disappointed that I haven't lost more weight. I decided to join you guys in hopes that we can support and encourage each other because we didn't pay all this money to not be successful.

I am going to start making small goals for myself and take the advice of measuring out my food and start exercising more so hopefully I can get on track!

Welcome to the group, BAYOUGIRL!!! We are definitely glad to have you!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about the slipped band. it is so important to all strugglers to hear your story to understand what could happen if we dont start using the band as a tool. I TRULY TRULY hope that the unfill will help the band reposition and you will not have to undergo further surgery. Please keep us in the loop and we will all keep our fingers crossed for you.

You mentioned that you will start making small goals for yourself. This is GREAT!!! Would you mind sharing your specific goals? this way, we can all help keep you accountable. :lol:

Thanks for the welcome message Kathy! My main goals at this point is to start exercising at least 3 times a week. I would like to lose 10 pounds a month but am going to start slow and set it for 7 pounds per month. With the holidays fast approaching and having to go out of town it's going to be hard to focus but I'm determined to do it! Sad thing is that my treadmill is just inside my garage so it's geting pulled out and getting a work out! I'm gonna do it and feel like I can now that I have a group of friends to get feedback and encouragement from! Thanks!

Well, I have spoken with a nurse at my surgeon's office. She believes that the doctor on Monday, that gave me the large fill, has "blown" my band. I have chosen to go back and see one of my surgeon's partners on Wednesday, Dec. 17th. Nurse says he will evaluate me and determine what testing needs to be done, and if, in fact, the band has been "blown", it'll need to be replaced. I am soooo pissed at myself and at that doctor - for pretending to know what he was doing. He has never done a lap band surgery, but gives fills -- that should have been a red flag. Moral of the story - go the extra mile to get experienced treatment. Because now, I could be facing another surgery. Arghhhh!

Oh, I hope not! There is also the possibility that he missed your port entirely and didn't get the saline in the port at all. Even the trained nurses that do fills all day long under fluoroscope have problems getting the needle all the way in and in the right spot.

I'm hoping for the best possible news. Please keep us posted.

Oh, I hope not! There is also the possibility that he missed your port entirely and didn't get the saline in the port at all. Even the trained nurses that do fills all day long under fluoroscope have problems getting the needle all the way in and in the right spot.

I'm hoping for the best possible news. Please keep us posted.

Exactly Webkat - I have also heard of bands taking MORE than the CC they were designed to take, so all these things leave me a little hopeful that the band isn't blown!!!

PEOPLE - I just ate my lunch - Frozen dinner, and I felt so hungry, I have to embarassingly admit, that I licked the plate clean - YES - LICKED IT - Is it time for a fill????? LOOOOOOOOOL

If this isn't greed, then I dont know what is!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome message Kathy! My main goals at this point is to start exercising at least 3 times a week. I would like to lose 10 pounds a month but am going to start slow and set it for 7 pounds per month. With the holidays fast approaching and having to go out of town it's going to be hard to focus but I'm determined to do it! Sad thing is that my treadmill is just inside my garage so it's geting pulled out and getting a work out! I'm gonna do it and feel like I can now that I have a group of friends to get feedback and encouragement from! Thanks!

This is GREAT!!!!!!!!!! Excercise is such an important part of our success. I started this week and I am feeling so proud. You should add an excercise ticker so we can see how you are progressing daily!!! :) So when will you do your first workout? What day?? As you can see, I am not letting it go......... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :wink:

... I was on vacation in NYC during this time!

I've not understood a lot of what has happened. I got a fill and then 3 1/2 week later was when I couldn't eat or drink the week of Thanksgiving. I hadn't done or eaten anything different from my normal routine and they can't tell me what would cause me to start getting sick and not being able to keep anything down.

Hmmm... You were on vacation. Did you fly? Or were you at a higher elevation in NYC than where you live? Most people get a small unfill before going on vacation because changes in cabin pressure or elevation can cause more pressure on the band.

If the stoma is irritated due to extra restriction or sudden changes in restriction it can swell. When you PB it causes even more swelling and it creates a vicious cycle. The only thing they can do is unfill, let you heal and start again.

For me I was too full and PBed on a piece of chicken I didn't chew well enough. It started the swelling cycle and I had to get an unfill. It sounds like yours may have been due to holiday travel or maybe holiday stress/excitement?

Kathy

Hi WebKat,

How are you doing on your daily excercise goal???? :wink:

I'm so glad you asked!!! :)

I went straight to the treadmill last night after my post. I already did the treadmill this morning, even went an extra minute. I have to admit that my muscles ache a little more than usual but I feel good inside and it gets easier each time. I'm going to have a good exercise habit in place by the end of this month! Yippee for me :ohmy:

I have also been using the exercise ball a little while I watch TV at night. Though I have to be careful not to over do it. I have done that in the past-- it kinda sneaks up on you.

I'm only journaling my foods this month but am not specifically menu planning and calorie counting. Though the journaling helps a lot and makes me mindful of my choices. Even with my eggnog latte snafoo on Tuesday I was under 2000 cal for the day. Yesterday was 1610 cal. Today I'm at 321 so far. Not too bad.

I considered the fact that he could've just missed the port, and not actually given me a fill at all; however, I have lost even the restriction I had BEFORE I went to him. I already had moderate restriction with 2.5 cc in a 4 cc band when I went for a fill. And, now I have NO restriction - not only do I not have more restriction with the fill, I don't have ANY restriction. Puzzling, huh? That's what makes me think he did something that caused me to lose all the Fluid I had in there. Trying to keep high hopes!

Hmmm... You were on vacation. Did you fly? Or were you at a higher elevation in NYC than where you live? Most people get a small unfill before going on vacation because changes in cabin pressure or elevation can cause more pressure on the band.

All my saline was removed before I went on vacation. I had all my trouble during the week of Thanksgiving. I was just miserable in NYC b/c I couldn't eat anything since they had me on a liquid diet for a week after removing it. Thanks for the info on possibilities of what's happening when I do have trouble though! That's the things that I expect the people where I get my fills to tell me, but they don't.

Tabithan - I will be starting my exercise routine this weekend for sure and yes.........don't let it go! That's what I need!:wink:

I was banded in April of 2006. I started at 326 lbs. and I am at 243 lbs. I have been this weight for just about a year now. I have re-started a million times but just cannot seem to get it going again. My doctor is really no help and I have done the support groups and the diets (weight watchers and Akins). I just feel like I did before the band so I am ready to give up. Sorry if I brought anyone down, I really wish all of you sucess!!! Happy Holidays!

I was banded in April of 2006. I started at 326 lbs. and I am at 243 lbs. I have been this weight for just about a year now. I have re-started a million times but just cannot seem to get it going again. My doctor is really no help and I have done the support groups and the diets (weight watchers and Akins). I just feel like I did before the band so I am ready to give up. Sorry if I brought anyone down, I really wish all of you sucess!!! Happy Holidays!

It sounds like you were really successful with your band at the beginning. You have done a great job. Your weight loss is really good, especially since you are keeping it off. I don't know about you, but I could never keep the weight I lost off. It always came back and normally brought a few friends too.

I was told to only expect to lose around 60% of my excess weight. If I lost more, it would be a lot of extra effort on my part with exercise and being really diligent with my food and getting my fills. Right now, I am losing around 2 lbs per week. When that slows to 1 lb, I guess I will haul my butt to the gym.

Falloutgal don't give up! You, just like I did, joined this chat forum for a reason. I really think that having people like ourselves to talk to will help! I just joined yesterday and am already having a more positive outlook on my journey! I fully intend to use this as my sounding board for the good and bad stops along the way. Don't give up though because you deserve to have successful results!

Tabithan, I moved the treadmill inside from my garage so this weekend the exercising begins! I'll go online to get one of those trackers like you guys have posted.

By the way, how are you guys copying the quotes into your messages to show what message you are responding to? I don't have the patience to figure these things out on the computer! :wink2:

A lurker of the board here... I have had my band since 2003 (old timer) starting weight was 364 now at 258, very frustrated! I know the rules, know what to do, just fall of the bandwagon somewhere midweek.

Hello! I have had this band since 2003 and should be a lot smaller by now! I had lost 140 pounds total and have gained back 30 pounds of it and am totally agravated with myself and feel like such a failure. I have an 11 cc band with 9 cc of Fluid in it last fill in April this year, but don't feel I need an adjustment, as don't take much to get me full at each meal... I eat Proteins first veggies and lower carbs at meals...then the food demons attack at night after supper and I tend to snack on junk food!

What is wrong with me and my brain?! I am a food addict and sneak candy bars and icecream just like in the old days before the band, Why do I keep sabatoging myself when I still have so much to lose?

I want to get down to at least 180 pounds but at this point would be thrilled to get to 200. I am so bummed out and hate to admit to anyone that I have gained but saw some pics of myself this week and about threw up! I hate pics of myself.

I am a member of the Curves for women gym and have not been going faithful since before thansgiving and have just been horrible at my eating/sneaking at night. I do good all day long (hubby present and sees what I eat) he works at night and that is when I watch TV and go back to old bad habits.

My goals are to : Exercise 3-4 x per week - drink more Water - keep a daily food diary - lose at least 30 pounds by may 6 year anniversary band surgery date in February. Am I hopeless or what?

Tabithan

What is this "port readjustment" that you speak of?

I am ready to commit to my band, to use it as a tool. ... I really have never followed the lap band rules since surgery - I've always made my own rules - and thus have not had any successess. I am really down on myself right now -

Could you tell me what the 5 day pouch test is?

Hi SKHOPP,

Dont be too down on yourself - You have taken the right step talking about it - and I think you can get the results you want. You are right - it took too much for us to get banded, not to see the results we want. WE TOO SHALL BE SUCCESSFUL.

My port had flipped so they had to take it out and put a new one in, plus change its location to a more stable part of my body - it was on my belly before, and now it is on my ribcage (or right above it.) hehe

I read about the 5 day pouch test - it appears to be a way to try and get back your pouch to normal eating. Click on the link from Webkat on this issue, a couple of threads after your initial response. I would try following their recommendation and see what happens - It appears that they are taking the person back to the eating "rules" we had right when we were banded - liquids, then mushies, then soft solids, then solids - they claim it can help take the pouch back to its original size. Interestingly enough, I had to do this based on my dr's instruction (he didnt call it the 5 day pouch test but pretty much had me on the same rules) and at the completion of it, I finally had restriction - so maybe there is some value to this test!!! Try it.

How are you doing today, SKHOPP???