Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and looking for a surgeon

I am new to the board. I live in Madison.

I started the process to have the regular gastric bypass surgery done several years ago, but chickened out. The process just seemed too overwhelming and the surgery scared me. I didn't really care for the surgeon.......Dr. Facundus (spelling?). Who have some of you used? How did the surgery go? Who would you recommend?

I have BCBS of AL and their requirements just blow me away! I can't believe you have to go through so much BS to get approved. :laugh:

I have been obese for over five or six years now. I am diabetic. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have lower back pain......all of this due to being overweight. Not to mention the depression about letting myself get like this.

I have been on and off diets. I am working out at the gym..........doesn't really help. I am on diet pills now.....this is a first. I guess I have no patience.....I want to all come off overnight and I know that can't happen.

Any advice would be appreciated. :laugh:

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I certainly understand your frustration. I love my lapband. My weightloss is going slower than I would like but my surgeon is very pleased. It has been 3 months since my surgery and I have almost lost 30 pounds.

I am not sure about surgeons in your area because I near Montgomery. I used a surgeon in Pelham south of Birmingham, Dr. Sherer. His office and his staff have been great. I didn't have to do a bunch of seminars and medical tests (sleep apnea and stuff). I did have a slight problem getting my fill but we worked it out pretty quickly.

Don't expect quick results (insurance decisions or weight loss) but it is worth the wait because it is permanent! I wish you the BEST in everything!

Rachelle

Congrats on your decision to have the Lap Band surgery. I live about 15 miles west of Birmingham and I used Dr. Cottingham at Brookwood Medical Center. I would definitely recommend him. He and his staff were the best! I noticed you live in Madison and Dr. Cottingham is moving to Cullman Regional Medical Center at the first of the year which would be closer that Birmingham for you. Best wishes to you and keep us posted on your progress.:cursing:

I am using Dr DeWitt in Birmingham. He is located off of I20 in Birmingham just 1 exit east of I65. His website is at Bariatric Surgery in Birmingham, Alabama ? Andrew Dewitt, M.D.. I have been very please with him. He does the RNY and the Realize Lap Band.

BCBS of AL requires 6 months of supervised weight loss with the 1st visit not counting, so it really is 7 months to fill that requirement. I hope you the best. There are several good doctors in Birmingham.

I am new to the board. I live in Madison.

I started the process to have the regular gastric bypass surgery done several years ago, but chickened out. The process just seemed too overwhelming and the surgery scared me. I didn't really care for the surgeon.......Dr. Facundus (spelling?). Who have some of you used? How did the surgery go? Who would you recommend?

I have BCBS of AL and their requirements just blow me away! I can't believe you have to go through so much BS to get approved. :scared2:

I have been obese for over five or six years now. I am diabetic. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have lower back pain......all of this due to being overweight. Not to mention the depression about letting myself get like this.

I have been on and off diets. I am working out at the gym..........doesn't really help. I am on diet pills now.....this is a first. I guess I have no patience.....I want to all come off overnight and I know that can't happen.

Any advice would be appreciated. :cursing:

Debbie

Hey Debbie! Welcome to Madison County. I actually live in Fayetteville but work in Huntsville. I chose Dr. Les Miles in Birmingham. I went to one seminar in Huntsville but the physician wasn't really wanting to do the band at the time. If you're not wanting to drive too far, I've heard great things about Drs. Britt and Groves from Albertville. From my understanding, they come to Huntsville to do the surgery and once a month for fills.

Have you already went through the 6 month diet required by BCBS? Do you go to any of the support meetings at Huntsville Hospital? They are having a big one tomorrow night if you're intrested.

I wish you the best! Any questions you have, ask away.. we'll be glad to try and help!

dr. ronald clements, Uab and kirkland clinic in birmingham alabama----research him, he is so good not only does he performs the surgery, he has so many doctors under him and he teaches it

Dr.s Britt and Groves are no longer comming to Madison. You have to go to their Guntersville office or their Albertville office. I recieved a call last week from them about it.

Dr.s Britt and Groves are no longer comming to Madison. You have to go to their Guntersville office or their Albertville office. I recieved a call last week from them about it.

Well thats a bummer. I guess it's no farther to drive than me driving to Bham but I hate that for all of you who had the convenience of seeing them in Huntsville or Madison.

How are you G4E? Hate you didnt' make it to the meeting tonight.

Hey Wendy & All,

I was just banded Tuesday, the 6th and my surgeons were Dr. Britt & Dr. Groves. :confused: Though it's a bummer they no longer come to Madison, they are more than worth the trip to Guntersville! By the way, I live in Taft, TN which is an hour and a half drive.

I highly recommend them. Dr. Groves is an inspiritation as he is banded himself and has lost over 120 lbs! That was my main reason for choosing them, because I figured there really must be something to this Lap Band thing, if the surgeon himself is banded!

My insurance (Fed. BCBS) required me to have the surgery in a hospital and they use Marshall Medical Center North in Guntersville. And, it is a fantastic little hospital! I stayed overnight because of my nausea reaction to the

anesthesia and I couldn't have asked for a better or more caring nursing staff!

My follow up visit is next Thursday, the 15th. Checkout their website: http://www.samc.stirsite.com/home.html

Good luck and blessings to you in starting your journey.

New support meetings for Lap-band patients!

Dr. Britt and Dr. Groves will be providing monthly support meetings this month. The meetings will alternate between Marshall Medical North in Guntersville and Marshall Medical South in Albertville. See the following link to view their calendar for dates and time.

http://www.samc.stirsite.com/page/page/2453219.htm

Just a note for all those wishing to use Dr. Britt or Dr. Groves. They no longer have a Madison Office and will not be holding any more seminars in Huntsville/Madison. Their last 2 seminars only produced 3 attendees each. Seminars will now be held in Guntersville or Albertville.

With the high level of care and compassion these great doctors have for their patients, it is worth the drive to Guntersville or Albertville. Their aftercare and wonderful staff makes them the best choice in Alabama in my opinion. They are doing Lap-Band surgery 2-3 days a week now. They believe in the surgery and the need to provide great after care with follow up visits and fills (adjustments).