Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 day post op stomach ache

Greetings all -- today is my first day back home (I was banded yesterday morning: Wed. Nov. 19)

Surgery day I felt ok -- very out of it b/c of the anesthesia.

This morning I kind of felt ok too.

But this afternoon the pain has progresed. I have the standard gas pains in my back and sides etc. And of course the stitches are a little sore.

But what has me concerened is that my stomach feels like a big knot. Kind of like when you take an antibiotic and it just eats up your stomach. I can't figure out if this is normal (just had a surgeon rooting around in my guts paing). Or if this is a misreading of a gas pain? Sometimes it even feels like the kind of pains ones get when you are very very hungry.

I've been eating a little: broth, ice pops, diluted juice etc. Everything stays down. I think if it doesn't get any better by tomorrow I'll give my surgeon a call.

Has anyone else expereienced this?

I too was banded yesterday. And like you I felt okay yesterday but I guess I still had alot of drugs in my system because right now I hurt like he--! I can not get comfortable I feel like I am bloated like my stomach is in my throat area. They sent me home with lortab but it really doesn't help. I can't sleep because I can't get comfortable. Any suggestions????? I am unable to get in the chat room arggggg.........

I had mine done yesterday, and my stomach also feels like it's in a knot. I just assumed that it's either gas or it's the trauma to the tummy. It doesn't really bother me much, the only pain I have is what I assume is where the port is. I got a mixture of demerol and phenergan. I thought I would get something liquid.

Mostly I have got cotton mouth so freaking bad I can't stand it. It's pretty bad, I just keep sipping Water. Aside from all that, I feel amazing.

I was also banded on the 19th. Today is the first day that I'm able to get up a little more but I'm still in alot of pain. Are you taking Gas X? I would take those for the gas pains and try to get up and walk around your house a few minutes here & there. I'm only taking the prescribed meds at night because of the nausea - Tylenol during the day. I would just keep resting for another day or 2.

MellyB - start sucking on popsicles - it will help with the cotton mouth

I kept a blended frozen Protein Shake (pitcher made and pured into plastic cups)in the fridge all day and drank some once an hour, Since I could not lift anything over 5 lbs, my husband did the pouring and I mixed enough to last me through the day,at meal times I did the warm broths. This is constantly for the first ten days post op. Walk around the house, don't sit still the pain?gas will only go away if you are moving. it rises upwards in your body, mostly to your shoulders. I think between the fozen shakes and the warm broth really helped wiht the internal swelling.

So my advise, walk , drink and repeat, every 45 minutes or sooner. Good luck! I was banded in Jan 08, down 62 lbs. luv my band. This is your healing time. Give the band time to set. Increase your walking everyday by 5 minutes. You will get stronger and feel better faster than you can imagine, but you need the Protein to get the healing done.:drool:

Well just wanted to let everyone to know that the stomach ache I started the post with has passed. I'm still in some minor bits of pain, but that feeling of someone tying my guts into a not are over. Maybe it was gas since I have seemed to gotten rid of a lot of it.

I'm 3rd day post op and the stomach ache will pass and just leave you with the incision pain. Ty Ex Strength will take care of that. The cotton mouth is a sign you are dehydrated so sip as much liquid as you can. I feel better each and every day. Those gas x cinnamon strips that dissolve in your mouth worked great for me and the stomach pain not related to the incision sites.

I got banded on Nov 19th too... seems like so many people all on the same day, cool. I too am having stomach aches, but mostly from where the port got put in. Feel like a rock inside there. Best thing for me has been the pain meds they sent home with me. I know there's tons of gas in there, air trapped under the skin. Passing gas has certainly helped me too.

Guys I was banded last Friday-- the 14th and I REALLY think that my PAIN after day 3 -4 has been HUNGER... I swearI could gnaw my arm off @#$$ Of course I am sore from the incisions but I have had a hard time with the no food -- less food is fine but no food has been hard....

I to was banded the 19th and have the pains as well. Finally got some sleep last night. I used a heating bad under my left shoulder which helped with the gas pain and I was able to sleep. Not really hungry yet. Just wish the gas pain in my chest and shoulder would go away. I have been moving a lot and walking that seems to help a little. Sounds like there is quite a few 19th bandsters. Nice to have others to talk to about it all.

Another November 19th bandster! Everything's going fine - some shoulder and incision pain. But I'm feeling so wiped out on clear liquids only. And starving! Sent my son out to find Special K Protein Water - anyone tried that?

The Special K Protein Water doesn't have that much protein in it for the amount you have to drink. The few ounces every hour doesn't help you get it in. If you can stomach them, the New Whey bullets are great. 3 oz give you 42g of protein and it is considered a clear liquid. I think they taste fine, but some complain of an aftertaste. It only takes a few sips and you can get your protein in for the day. Just make sure you buy the 42 g ones and not the 20g ones. They taste tart, DH says like a Sweet Tart. I like the tropical punch ones.

Took me 7 days for my gas to go and then i burped it was like heaven. The equilibrium was restored and now all i feel is hunger but Protein and slimming shakes keep me full long enough for now. 8 days after the OP i still go to get up wrong or strain the port area while sleeping which wakes me up in pain. I must be careful with these damn stitches :smile2: