Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss and its Relation to PS

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new here, and I think its simply amazing. I appreciate so much the information that everyone is sharing!

I am 5'2 currently, 240-245 depending..... you know how it is.....non-banded, just starting my research, though I have an appt at Tufts-NEMC in Boston in Dec.

So here is what I am wondering....in a perfect world, I'd lose about 100 lbs. In reality, Id be really happy with 70-80. I am wondering if I would need to have any PS.

I ask because I have heard with the band that there is less need for PS because you lose the weight slower and your body can reabsorb some of the skin.

To tell you a little about my body type.....I carry a lot of my weight in the front, and I am praying I lose my belly. Well, at least most of it.

Also, with regards to boobies.....I am currently a 42G and even when I was thin, I was big in the chest....can anyone give me some insight into how much I might lose in that area? I am already saving for the breast reduction/ reconstruction that I might need after I lose the weight. Regardless of how I do it I will lose it.

Thanks for your help and input!!!!

SW

Realistically, there will be signs on your body that you have lost weight. I've lost 100 lb though and I wouldnt say I need plastic surgery.

Parts of me do look a bit like Jack says - a balloon that has been blown up and let down. Part of that is weight loss, part of it is age and part of it is my shape. No hanging pannus, batwings or thighs that blow in the breeze, but I do have cellulite, a saggy bum and very deflated boobs.

I *could* have PS. But personally, when i look around me, I look the same as everyone else, no in fact I look better! Most women in my daily life are out of shape, unfit, and looking a bit the worse for wear by age 40 so why should I even care about a little flab? I really dont. I dont see what's wrong with being a 41 year old mother of 3 who's lost 100lb and looking like it!

I know we're all *worth it* and all that but sometimes I think people are trying to absolutely obliterate their former selves, not simply upgrade and refine it! Depends where you fit on that scale as to whether you will *need* PS - it most likely wont be in quite the same way as someone who loses 200lb.

I'm not anti PS either by the way, I'm actually considering a breat lift. But I think need v want are two different things.

I'd say think about one thing at a time.

Get banded and do what you need to do to be as successful as possible with that. As you get closer to goal assess the situation. If you think you need PS at that point, pursue it.

Good luck.

My doc says to absolutely wait a year AFTER reaching goal to make any decisions on PS. I reached goal in Oct and can tell things are better two months later. I am 53 and did worry about the tummy since I carried everything thru my torso. I happened to luck out. I have no bat wings on the arms and the tummy does not hang. In fact, I can wear french cut panties and nothing is hanging out. At times I think my upper thighs look like melted butter but something most 53 yr old women have. And, I can cover that area. My DH is the only one that sees them. I would never worry myself b/4 the LB surgery. You are young. Just wait and see what Mother Nature gives you in the end.

At times I think my upper thighs look like melted butter but something most 53 yr old women have.

sorry apples but that comparison did make me laugh..

i will be 40 in june, and i carry/carried the bulk of my weight in the hips/thighs & butt. the 36DD's went to 32D's - my waist got smaller than it was & the problem south of the border looks a LOT better. i haven't a need for PS due to weight loss.

i'm short & curvy and would like to keep it that way - sure if i turnaround in the mirror ; i see cellulite on my a$$ and thighs - but like the wrinkles around the eyes, i'm trying to embrace. if not - i won't look in the mirror backwards, :thumbup:

Lulac...I have a couple of friends that have model type figures. Stand about 5'9" and at the age of 50 have no detectable cellulite. They are always complaining about their cottage cheese looking ass and thighs. They look HOT in shorts and bathing suit. I decided that whatever I ended up with after my weight loss, I would embrace and go with it WITHOUT complaining. God gifted those friends with what I see as amazing bodies. SHUT UP has come across my mind a few times....but need to practice some kindness. DH says women are never happy with themselves. I beg to differ. When a person has been where we have with the extra weight....we tend to accept the few imperfections we end up with.

Lulac....reread my post....the part about people not accepting themselves was not directed at you. You seem to have a great attitude about your new body.

oh to be 5'9.....:thumbup:

i agree apples - i'm happy w/the weight gone and if cellulite was part of the package - oh well. that's not to say that i'm not taking care of the eyes this January :mellow:.

ETA - saw your second post; i read it as it was posted to "all" :)

Wow,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's posted. It gives me a lot to think about, for now and for after surgery.

I will wait til after I hit goal (not sure what that is....somewhere between 140 and 160, not perfect ideal weight but I think good for me), and sustain it for a while before I make any PS decisions. I think that is the best idea. After all, who wants to have more surgery only to have more body changes and need more surgery?

I am hoping that where I carry all my weight around the middle that IF I need it, I will only need my tummy and boobies done.

My legs I think are nice now, and will only get better as I get thinner. I cant see my rear, so as far as I am concerned J Lo has NOTHING on me :wink_smile: My arms have a little bit of a wing to them, but I know from working out in the past that that will get better, as long as I lift a couple times a week.

Its really only my tummy that I strongly dislike. I am praying that my boobies will shrink (just a bit). But if I need to have a breast reduction, why not make it so the nips point out instead of down to my toes? :thumbup:

Again, thank you all!!!!