Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very excited -- yet scared

Hi everyone!! My name is Gaby and I'm 27 years-old, I have a 3 year old daughter who is EVERYTHING to me. I am 5'6, 298 lbs. I started putting on weight in 1997 when I was super happy at 169 lbs... and since then I just haven't stopped gaining weight.

My family doctor and I both agreed that LapBand was a good choice for me and so I was referred to a LapBand surgeon who I met once 3 weeks ago, and he seems great. I have to meet with a dietician tomorrow. I also have to meet with a cardiologist, pulmonary doctor and a psychiatrist before my next meeting with my surgeon on December 17.

I can't wait to get going with this. My insurance, so far, has approved to pay for all of it. I keep doing research about it, even though I'm decided to do this, and every now and then I end up at some anti-LapBand site and it freaks me out.

So I guess I'm here for support, advice, friends and whatever you all will provide. :)

Thanks for reading. :unsure:

p.s. Any idea what to expect from the meeting with a dietician tomorrow?

Welcome to the Board. I've been reading the messages here a lot and everyone seems to be very nice and helpful. You will find that there are many people who have the same questions, concerns and fears.

My dietician apt was pretty uneventful. She was very nice and we discussed eating habits and what to expect after you are banded. The nicest thing, for me, was the fact she was not judgemental. I went to a doctor once concerned about my weight and he told me I just needed to push away from the table. I shruged off his comment as being a not very nice person but his comment has stayed with me for over 18 years.

My advice is read, write down your feelings and questions (nothing is too silly or small), If you are into it take a look at orlive.com and see some actual Lap Band surgeries (they were very cool)

I go to my first support group meeting tonight and my head is filled with questions.

I'm hoping to get my band date in January 09, but I will find out 1/24 when I see the surgon.

My best guess is January 15thish.

Hi Gaby

Just picked up your email, I had my operation last Thursday morning. I felt all the apprehensions you are having. When you see your dietician they will probably ask you to keep a food diary for a month. Be absolutely honest in it. I have always taken the easy way and cheated about my food intake etc and in the end you con yourself and all you get is unhappier. Be frank woth them and remember of you have a lapse, then record it.YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. I wish I had known about lap bands years ago as I have suffered for too long.. This is your great opportunity to change your stars and good luck!

Thank you Morgan... I wish I had a good idea when I was having the procedure done, I'm so excited.

So how are you feeling, how's it been so far?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches