Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having trouble keeping items down

Hi,

Does anyone have the trouble where they cannot keep anything down some days...even liquids? If so...is there a way to stop it.

If you cant keep liquids down and you have a fill in your band your too tight you need to get a slight unfill.

your risking slipping your band and your putting your band at risk.

Even if its off and on ,your too tight. Not being able to keep liquids down is NEVER GOOD !

You should call your doc asap !

Mindy

I just had this happen, I got a small adjustment last Thursday and it was fine until Sunday afternoon. When my food came up I gave it a couple hours rest and tried Water which came up. Rested again and tried a Protein Shake which came up. Rested again and tried broth which came up. I gave up and went to bed thinking it would resolve overnight but the next morning the couple ounces of water I drank came right up. I called my doctor and they took a tiny bit of fill out and I've been fine since. They said likely something I ate irritated my stoma and it was swollen too much for anything to pass. After another week if I'm still doing well and feel like I need it they said I can get that little bit of fill put back in but so far I seem to be at the right restriction without it.

It happened to me once before but it resolved itself after about 5 hours and a day on liquids seemed to be enough to heal it without any adjustment. Don't wait too long to call your doctor, you can get dehydrated very fast and risk your band slipping or your pouch stretching if you continue with it too tight.

Edited by ShrinkyDink

I just had this happen, I got a small adjustment last Thursday and it was fine until Sunday afternoon. When my food came up I gave it a couple hours rest and tried Water which came up. Rested again and tried a Protein shake which came up. Tested again and tried broth which came up. I gave up and went to bed thinking it would resolve overnight but the next morning the couple ounces of Water I drank came right up. I called my doctor and they took a tiny bit of fill out and I've been fine since. They said likely something I ate irritated my stoma and it was swollen too much for anything to pass. After another week if I'm still doing well and feel like I need it they said I can get that little bit of fill put back in but so far I seem to be at the right restriction without it.

It happened to me once before but it resolved itself after about 5 hours and a day on liquids seemed to be enough to heal it without any adjustment. Don't wait too long to call your doctor, you can get dehydrated very fast and risk your band slipping or your pouch stretching if you continue with it too tight.

I was going to say , that typically when this happens to me and I have to get an unfill going back to put that fill back in is not a good idea for many weeks. Meaning , If i have to get a slight unfill , even if it is because i irritated my stoma from a PB episode I typically do not have to get the fill back in for several weeks. And for me ( and im a little odd cause im sensitive to fills ) in other words I normally continue w/ the fill schedule , so if its been 4 weeks since my last fill and i get a slight unfill i probably wont go get that fill back for another 2 weeks or so , does that make sense ?

HTH

Mindy

Yes that makes sense, and even though she said she could add it back in I will probably do without it. That was a horrible feeling when I couldn't even keep Water down, I was in a near panic and I don't want to go back there. I'd rather deal with being a bit too loose than be that tight again.

Yes that makes sense, and even though she said she could add it back in I will probably do without it. That was a horrible feeling when I couldn't even keep Water down, I was in a near panic and I don't want to go back there. I'd rather deal with being a bit too loose than be that tight again.

See how you do , What i have just done is kind of just treated it like im still going w/ my regular fill . See how much i can eat , if i still have decent restriction then i will just leave it. If i start being able to eat a lot , or gain then i'll go get that amount back in . I usually start w/ the amount taken out put back in .

HTH

Mindy

I have this problem too, but later I learned that my stomach was just irritated. If I pb on anything at all, I go back to clear, warm liquids for at least 24 to 48 hours depending on how bad the pb is. Otherwise, each additional pb further irritates my stomach and causes it to close more and more each time. Some of us just have sensitive stomachs.

I also learned that sometimes it is not a matter of being too tight. Have you ever took a bite of something when you were talking to someone without paying attentiion and realize . . . oops, what did I just do and how many minutes before it comes back up????

If I skip the banding rules and just make a silly mistake (which happens occasionally when you have been banded for a long time and eating just becomes just something you do without occupying every thought), this can happen. Then I need to take the time to baby my stomach for a day or two because it is easily aggravated . . . but my fill level may still be perfect as it is.

However, if you are following the rules and eating appropriate foods but still pb'ing regularly . . . you are too tight and should not wait for an unfill.

I have this problem too, but later I learned that my stomach was just irritated. If I pb on anything at all, I go back to clear, warm liquids for at least 24 to 48 hours depending on how bad the pb is. Otherwise, each additional pb further irritates my stomach and causes it to close more and more each time. Some of us just have sensitive stomachs.

I also learned that sometimes it is not a matter of being too tight. Have you ever took a bite of something when you were talking to someone without paying attentiion and realize . . . oops, what did I just do and how many minutes before it comes back up????

If I skip the banding rules and just make a silly mistake (which happens occasionally when you have been banded for a long time and eating just becomes just something you do without occupying every thought), this can happen. Then I need to take the time to baby my stomach for a day or two because it is easily aggravated . . . but my fill level may still be perfect as it is.

However, if you are following the rules and eating appropriate foods but still pb'ing regularly . . . you are too tight and should not wait for an unfill.

I have a very sensitive stomach , Fills affect me differnetly than others. HOWEVER Anytime you cant keep liquids down you NEED An unfill ! If you cant keep them down for a day , Ok that's fine see how it goes for the next but if you cant keep liquids down for more than 24 hours you need an unfill i dont care what the reason is !!!

Mindy

Hello...I am new here and I am having this issue as well.

I got my band end of September and I am down 28lbs..great right? right however I feel its cheating since I cant keep anything down at all. I also have minor pain..it was worse around my cycle, it went away but it came back today. Sometimes I cant even keep Water down and that is all I drink. One doctor said it might have slipped and to readjust its $5,000 and the actual doctor who did it (well his assistant) said something might be stuck to try hot water with (ewww) meat tenderizer....after a few sips I was pretty much done with it. I am so lost and scared. I tried eating Soup at el torito and I couldnt even keep that down..seems I can keep ice cream down...ODD! Please help...

Hi all,

Susu......I would definately go back to your doctor...because something doesnt sound right. How much solution do you have in your band?

I currently have 6.8mls in my band. Yesterday and today my band was fine, mid you after reading all your posts I pretty much stuck to pureed foods and liquids, but I rang my doc and he seems to think that something may have irritated it and to just be very cautious of eating too many solid foods for the next few days.

It is a HUGE learning curve...I have had this band since Jan 08 and I am still learning.

Sometimes I do forget to chew properly when I am eating, especially if I am in a chatty mood. I swallow and almost instantly think....thats gonna hurt.

Thanks for all your help guys, this site is awesome I never knew it existed.

I would say the first yr anytime i had any issues or PBed I called my doc and let him know .

you think " EVERY TIME You Pbed you called" Yes I did .

The reason , they are your doc they need to know . Because if you PB and get swollen and all of a sudden cant keep liquids down and end up in the ER and you DONT call the docs going to be like what the hell is going on all of a sudden , but if you DO call they will know " Oh ok this is probably from the PB episdoe the other day " At the VERY least you might save yourself a total unfill. The boards are GREAT for support , they are NOT A place for medical advice, even from vet bandsters,

If you are concerned about this or ANYTHING you need to call your doc.

HTH

Mindy

I have a very sensitive stomach , Fills affect me differnetly than others. HOWEVER Anytime you cant keep liquids down you NEED An unfill ! If you cant keep them down for a day , Ok that's fine see how it goes for the next but if you cant keep liquids down for more than 24 hours you need an unfill i dont care what the reason is !!!

Mindy

Mindy, you are right. I was responding more to the pb'ing begetting more pb'ing - but wasn't taking it to the level of inability to get liquids down. If liquids don't go down at all, it is more of an emergency situation and an unfill is needed right away.

Mindy, you are right. I was responding more to the pb'ing begetting more pb'ing - but wasn't taking it to the level of inability to get liquids down. If liquids don't go down at all, it is more of an emergency situation and an unfill is needed right away.

Yes i understand. But Pbing leading to more Pbing leading to not being able to keeping liquids down , you can end up into a cycle. Meaning you PB , eat thinking your ok , but your actually still a little swolen , so you PB Again , get a little more swollen , think your ok to eat , eat PB AGAIN then you cant keep liquids down , the pb's can even be days a part. You still need a slight unfill if you cant keep liquids down .

maybe im mis understanding you ?

That is why i said anytime even if its not RIGHT after a fill you cant keep liquid down you need an unfill

MIndy

Yes i understand. But Pbing leading to more Pbing leading to not being able to keeping liquids down , you can end up into a cycle. Meaning you PB , eat thinking your ok , but your actually still a little swolen , so you PB Again , get a little more swollen , think your ok to eat , eat PB AGAIN then you cant keep liquids down , the pb's can even be days a part. You still need a slight unfill if you cant keep liquids down .

maybe im mis understanding you ?

That is why i said anytime even if its not RIGHT after a fill you cant keep liquid down you need an unfill

MIndy

You understood me just fine, I was wrong :0).

My post wasn't correct for the initial question (I misread it as a pb post without seeing the he no liquids going down since I was looking at multiple posts simultaneously). My real initial response (if I had read the initial post correctly) would have been - no liquids down at any time is a serious problem, you need an unfill no matter what, call your doctor immediately. Inability to get liquids down is nothing to play with and you shouldnt expect it to get better over time.

I would like to claim multi-tasking errors in judgement, attention deficit disorder, or maybe even temporary lack of sanity on my initial post. :0)