Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I need some encouragement...

I was banded on Wednesday (11-12) and I'm still in a lot of pain. I've been trying to back off the pain meds, and it's not working well for me. I've never doubted my decision to do the lapband, until now. I HURT. To top off the pain in my abs, I have a terrible headache. It's probably from lack of caffeine -before the surgery I've lived on Mt. Dew.... This forum has been very helpful and supportive. Please let me know this will all go away soon, and this will be the best decision I've made. Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

Sincerely,

Gonnaloseitall

Know that days 2 and 3 are usually the toughest ones. The meds from your procedure are wearing off. Keep taking those pain meds as long as you need them, and don't wait for them to wear off, they work better at keeping pain away than removing it once it is there.

Know also that by days 4 and 5 I felt pretty darn good. Just a little longer... {{{gentle hugs}}}

I had my surgery on Weds Nov 5th at 10am. I took my pain meds every 4 hours (as prescribed) until Sat Nov 8th. I woke up that morning and didn't feel that I needed it. So don't back off your pain meds just yet. Give it another day and then try to back off. Pain meds aren't bad, they're prescribed for your comfort!!! :Dancing_sorry:

One prescriptions' worth of whatever your doc gave you won't make you an addict. My doctor gave me enough for 10 days. Lucky for me I only needed 2 doses on day 2 but I was glad they were there if I needed them.

Pain is what you say it is. If you are in misery, take the drugs. I didn't hurt but believe me, if I had been in pain like you are, I'd have been taking those things round the clock.

I was banded on Wednesday (11-12) and I'm still in a lot of pain. I've been trying to back off the pain meds, and it's not working well for me. I've never doubted my decision to do the lapband, until now. I HURT. To top off the pain in my abs, I have a terrible headache. It's probably from lack of caffeine -before the surgery I've lived on Mt. Dew.... This forum has been very helpful and supportive. Please let me know this will all go away soon, and this will be the best decision I've made. Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

Sincerely,

Gonnaloseitall

Congratulations on a new u... The first few days for me were pure HELL.... It does get better just make sure u keep hydrated even if u have to sip on chicken broth or drink some ice tea w/splenda in it or something u need something in your system to keep u alert. It does get better move around and sit up as much as u can.. Also taking regular extended sgth. tylenol works also...

I had a great deal of pain after surgery as I had to have a full incision and was in the hospital for 4 days... I was sent home with a liquid elixer that really did a number on the pain... I took it religiously the first few days.. Actually had the perscription refilled, but didn't end up needing it... I agree with the rest.. If you need it, take it.... However, prepare yourself for the Constipation that seems to come from the darn stuff... That gave me more pain than the surgery... thought I would about die from the straining until my doc gave me permission to take a laxative... Hope that doesn't happen to you... Keep your chin up... these days will soon be behind you... Julie

Hang in there...day four was the turning point for me. I couldn't get up on my own until then, then all of the sudden I was a ton better and was able to stop all pain meds. Good luck!

Hey guys I was banded Friday. The pain in my chest and now my shoulders in unbearable. My abdomen is fine. But I can't deal with this intense shoulder/neck pain...

What can I do? I have liquid pain meds. but they don't touch this referred pain from the gas. I walk and walk but my shoulders are killing me....

I can't even lay down with my baby right now and I want to cry just like he is...

Hang in there! I know you wish you were one of those who had the procedure and was up an at 'em the next day.

But allow yourself this time to heal. As you know by others, the pain will pass and then it will be time to start losing weight.

Mt. Dew is something I haven't been able to give up. I go a few days then BOOM the headaches come. It's a lifelong goal to give up soda. Gosh, losing weight was easier than giving up soda. That's a true addiction, huh?

Keep us posted on your progress and write back when the pain subsides!

Hey guys I was banded Friday. The pain in my chest and now my shoulders in unbearable. My abdomen is fine. But I can't deal with this intense shoulder/neck pain...

What can I do? I have liquid pain meds. but they don't touch this referred pain from the gas. I walk and walk but my shoulders are killing me....

I can't even lay down with my baby right now and I want to cry just like he is...

You know one thing that worked for me was a back massager. I put that bad boy on high and laid on it... that does move the gas pains up and out.. u will start to belch and feel a lot better..let me know if it works..

Congrats on getting the band - I'm about a week ahead of you - got my band on 11/5. I, too, had a HORRIBLE headache on day 4 and 5 - I called my surgeon (even called me back on a Sunday) and he told me to move from clear liquid to full liquid - headache gone!!! I really think it was just not getting any nutrition in. I had strained cream Soups (chicken, V-8 squash Soup, etc), and sugar free carnation instant breakfast drinks. I'm a 11 days out and feeling great - luckily I never had any shoulder or chest pains from gas. I was one of the lucky ones who never needed any pain meds once I was home from hospital. I did alot of short walks - maybe it helped? I just started pureed stage and I feel really good - just hard to get enough fluids in. Good luck to you!

I was banded on 11-4, I felt exactly the same way. However, I was addicted to Starbucks! I feel your pain! The headache goes away in about a week...everyday a little better. I felt like a big wimp taking the pain meds (as needed) until the day before yesterday. Even my husband was acting disappointed in me. Yesterday, I woke up and felt very little discomfort. It only took 11 days! Thank goodness I took 2 weeks off work. No way I could have worked last week.

To everyone that posted a response to my whining, I love you for it!! To reach out to others and have them respond is such a comfort. Only others that have gone through or are going through this understand. My husband does his best, but he's not much at 4 am when the pain the worst. I appreciate the encouragment and love from all of you!! I will pay it forward as I continue to heal. I am thankful that I am not nausea, because of the way the band was put on due to the hernia repair my band sits different than regular ones, my dr. said to avoid vomitting at all cost. (probably TMI, but hey that's what we are here for) :thumbup:

I will continue to pray for my bandster friends out there in cyber space. Thank you...

I had my surgery on November 11 and left the hospital November 13, because of pain management. I have reactions to certain pain meds and was limited in what I could take for relief.

I am at home now and I continue to take the liquid Loritab. I take it when I need it. When the pain was unbearable, I also questioned why I did this procedure. But every day I am getting stronger and feeling better, thus I am happy with my decision to have the procedure.

I did take two weeks off work for my recovery, which I am so thankful I did. I continue to walk and I am feeling better. It just takes time to recover.:rolleyes:

Best of luck to you.