Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss and height

Hi there. I'm strongly considering Lap Band surgery and will attend an informational meeting this week. My BMI is at 41 currently. I have done many diets in the past 10 years, and was most successful with Optifast about 8 years ago.

One of my doctors told me that my difficulty loosing weight has alot to do with my height. I'm 5'2''. I did some research and can't really find anything on this topic.

I think my main problem is my PCOS and insulin resistance, and of course age.

Are there any shorties out there with sucess stories? What about PCOS sufferers?

I'm hoping the lap band will be the tool to finally help me overcome this problem. I am just sooo tired of thinking so much about my weight all the time. Thanks for your input.

Good luck. I don't really know the answer to your question, but I am 5'1" and scheduled to be banded on 12/9 so I sure hope that I'll be able to report back on your question with more insight in about 6 months!

I am 5 1 it is not your height. It is your pcos. I know I am a fellow pcoser. Trust me when I say...just do it! The band was the best thing I have EVER done!!! You will not regret it!!!!! :eek:

Are there any shorties out there with sucess stories? .

on my toes i'm 5'1 - but i still claim it:wink:

i'm not sure i buy that story, that shorties can't lose - i would suspect it's your PCOS .. not height.

it can be done; though i don't have PCOS - i was a bit slower in the beginning losing weight (dr thinks just because i had a low BMI)....still got to a healthy place within a yr, couldn't have done it w/out the band.

i am 4' 11" and am 190lbs

I will be banded in Philly .Just got my ins approval today!

got my surgery date today it is 12-09-08.

I cant wait to be a smaller healthier me!!!!!

single sizes here i come!!!!!!

:thumbup:Wow! I'm hopeful that the lap band may be that extra tool I need to help me overcome this weight problem. PCOS sucks!

Now for the insurance approval! I go to the first informational meeting on Sat. 11/15. Is 41 BMI good enough without any comorbs.?

I have Health Net Southern CA. I'm going to Pasadena to Huntington Hospital. Health Net referred me there.

You should check with your insurance company to be certain, but most of what I have seen is a BMI of 40 or higher is a stand-alone condition for surgery.

Best wishes,

Denise

that's garbage - its quite alarming some of the crap doctors can spew at you. It just shows that you need to inform yourself because they are as prone to bias and misnformation as the next person and I think it pays to remember that these are surgeons getting into the weight loss game - their expertise is SURGERY not necessarily nutrition.

I'm 5ft 10, so its a fair bet to say I can eat more than you can and lose weight. But I also no doubt have a larger stomach, and a larger appetite, and larger bones, muscles and organs to nourish than you do so that evens it out.

I have PCOS (for 10 yrs), insulin resistance, I am 5'1 and was 198 when I was banded (one week ago). I am now 190 and loosing. PCOS has made it impossible for me to loose weight on my own, caused infertility which I beat thanks to infertility drugs and I now have 2 year old twins. I decided to get the band so I can possibly prevent diabetes and get healthier. good luck!!

okay I have no clue what PCOS is. Could someone please explain? I'm 5'2" and I too have had trouble with the lossing weight and am scheduled for surgery on 12/5. I'm curious what you are talking about.

Saara In Maine

Thanks Jacqui. I think you're right. The doctor that made the comment about my height works at a weight loss clinic afiliated with my medical provider group. When he tried to give me the "eat less, move more" lecture. I explained to him that my appetite is huge and as difficult as it is for me to eat less, when I do, the weight just doesn't come off. I did Optifast 7 years ago, and I lost the least amount of my "class". Granted it was 50 lbs., but it was the least amount for the 6 month program for my class. I was eating 800 calories per day, medically supervised and I still lost 1.5 sometimes 2 lbs per week. He replied with "it's because your short".

PCOS is a metabolic/hormonal condition that causes insulin resistance in some most of the women who have it. That isulin resistance makes it more difficult to loose weight and causes an abundance of male hormones in our bodies. The hormones lead to acne, hair thinning (like male pattern baldness), Hair growth in places you don't want it (like a man) and from what I have seen it causes the weight to be distributed in an "apple" shape (most weight in the middle and across the back). I feel like a football player. :D

I called my insurance directly to ask about coverage. They wouldn't give me the specifics of what is required (except that I'll need a Psych evaluation - whatever!) . I was told that it is covered and was refered to a doctor who they work with. That doctor requires you attend a seminar first. So... hopefully, I'll learn more on Saturday.

First of all check your Insurance coverage for the Lap Band surgical procedure, If your BMI is greater than 40, attend Lap Band seminars. From my point of view you could opt this surgery but final decision should come from your side and from your surgeon as well...