Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oops! Eating too much and or too fast???

I just had a new fill and I guess I must have been a little careless with my chewing. I've actually been very good about being careful, but this once I got distracted by the phone just before the last couple of swallows.

PAIN!!!! so severe that it felt like I was having a heart attack. And while I knew I wasn't and tried to patiently wait it out, it was extremely painful nonetheless. I had a sip of Water, thinking that might loosen up whatever was in there. It didn't really help much that I was aware of. I was bent over double.. got up.. sat down.. found myself yelling once..

This was really an experience I do not want to repeat. I farted and the pain went away.

My question.. I assume that this happens once in a while, and that people have shared this experience. Can you please tell me a little bit about your experience, and anything at all about what you have done to avoid it? I was thinking that i should have some gas medication on hand.. like gas x.. any thoughts on that.

The obvious right answer is to stop eating before this happens.. but in case that phone rings, or whatever.. what would you do.

Thank you from

fearful in Belle Harbor:confused:

Well if I am talking and not paying attention and I take a small bite then put another small bite in my mouth it will get stuck and it hurts so bad. I also tried to drink something my first time I did that and you can't swallow at all. I went into the bathroom and brought it back up. But the pain stays for a little bit. It sucks......you always have to pay attention I have done this a handful of times. Now I am starting to know that there are certain foods I just can't eat.

But yeah for me it's not gas it's food stuck. It hurts right allot I hate it. I can't eat shrimp any more I have tried so many times and it comes right back up. chicken, Turkey, Steak, certain breads I can not swallow. The meat I cut into tiny tiny pieces and I have to eat it slow one at a time. All kinds of stuff. I hope things are going better.

Thank you for your reply. I have never managed to throw up food voluntarily. But I am gathering that this is preferable to the pain. I don't really know how long the pain lasted, but in my imagination it was about 20 minutes. Was that similar for you?

O I don't bring food back up because I want to. It's if you eat to fast take to big of a bite it will get stuck and the only thing you can do is walk around and spit it back out. You can't even swallow your saliva. It hurts to in your chest. It's taking me a while to slow my eating up and chew small pieces. I do great most of the time there is just these times when I am talking and just not paying attention and I put to big of a bite in or I don't chew right and it will get stuck....sometimes walking around helps and it will go down other times you spit it back out. But no one does this because they want to. It's a learning process. I have learn allot of what I do when I eat. Now I am learning to enjoy my food. I only eat 1 cup to 1 cup and half for my Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'll have a couple Snacks though the day. A sugar free pudding, or my frozen Protein Shake. I freeze half of my Protein shake so I have a treat after dinner.

Do you write down...keep track of what you eat?

Lisa

I have to admit, I have not bee very organized. I make plans and then don't always keep to them. However, I am becoming more optimistic. Just the fact that I'm having these pains means that the lap band is finally working. For me, it has been a long haul. I've had the band since August 07. But due to unforseen events I was unable to have it tightened enough till just recently.. .. so finally I'm encountering the same problems as everyone else. Meanwhile, last night I did it again.. this time I managed to spit the food back up.. which was a help. Guess I am on my way. As they all say..... chew chew chew.

Thanks so very much for your support. I really appreciated it.:thumbup:

I'm learning that I can't take to small bites in a row I have to stop and wait after one bite then I can take another bite. I have been trying to do this as much as possible. It's when I am around other people and talking I just don't pay attention and that's when I think I run into problems. Last night I went to see my girlfriend in from NC and she made homemade chicken soup...I was just taking bites and not paying attention and I got a carrot stuck and had to spit it out. This is were I have to learn.

Lisa

Been there, done that. The first time something got stuck it was a Vitamin. That was about 4 weeks after being banded. I switched to chewables and now all is good. A few weeks ago I took a bite of a hamburger patty and it got stuck. I am thinking because it was very dry, although it was a small bite. I had a couple of tortilla chips and they got stuck. Last night I was eating mexican food and it got stuck. I am learning what I can eat and what I can not. The pain is almost unbearable and the only way it goes away is to bring it back up. I don't recommend vomiting because it is bad for your band, but this is the only way for me to get rid of the pain. Unfortunately it is all of the good tasting stuff that gets stuck. Of course it would be that way; all the good stuff is bad for you...

For me, what gets stuck one time is fine another time. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It is so frustrating. I went throught a two week period about 4 weeks after being filled that I must have PBd 9 times in a week. I had it happen once the entire previous 10 months. Wierdest darn thing......If I slime a lot when I'm stuck, I know I can get it to come back up. I just lean over the toilet at the waist, open my mouth and squeeze my stomach muscles and up it comes. If I don't slime, I just have to live with it until it passes through. It hurts like hell. I have found that walking around with my arms in the air and stretching helps a little. My DH thinks I've lost my mind. Apparently I get a funny look on my face when I'm stuck and he asks, Are you going to do "it" again?

Hi Aubrie,

that is too funny, I do the same thing...I stretch my head way back over my back, raise my arms and walk around. My husband likes to tease me now and asks 'oh are you going to PB?'

I'm going for a fill next Thursday. I can get a whole In n Out burger down for dinner and before I couldn't even get more than 5 bites (tiny) down.

BTW...for what it's worth, if anyone is interested in shrinking your pouch and doing a body cleanse, that 48-Hollywood diet is really good and you're not really hungry. Well, there IS the head hunger, but that is always in the back there lurking.

Good luck everyone!!

-Becky

I have had a couple of bad episodes since my last fill. Tonight was the worst. Tonight I actually threw up. That is a scary thing when you know you are not supposed to because it is bad for your band. I have had some PBs and some foam. It is the pits. I know I have to watch what I am doing. I have had a very bad chest cold and sinus drainage and the mucus is backing up in my pouch and making it difficult to eat. After tonight's episode, I know I will be much more careful. I hve thought abpout going on just liquids for a few days until the mucus clears up. Anyone think this migth be a good idea?

Oh my we all have the same story lol it's great. lol

Well it's not great getting food stuck, but with all our stories.

How about going out to dinner and really really watching how you eat. Tonight I went out and I had to go to the bathroom because the one small bite of salad I took was stuck. I do the same I slime and spit that out then bend over the toilet and push my stomach muscles in and it comes right out. I can't eat scrabbled eggs they get stuck all the time. Beef and chicken get stuck...but then sometimes I can eat chicken but super small. But some things get stuck and some don't. It's weird. But I am afraid of hurting my pouch...I would really be upset if I did something wrong....at least I know I am not alone and everybody else is doing the same thing. I just hate that feeling when something gets stuck...everyone in my family and work now knows the look on my face. I walk around and do the same thing put my hands in the air, my head back. But I feel it helps some times lol

It happened again! At costco, having dinner (samples) and a piece of roast turkey got stuck. Trying to walk around keeping an eye out for a garbage can with no one around was riduculous. I went to the restroom but by the time I got there the "verp" (vomit burp) was gone. I guess the sweet spot is just around the bend. I really need to pay attention and be patient. I am at 6ccs in a 10cc band. I need to get down to business and work this like it was meant to be worked. This plateau is old.:rolleyes:

OKay what is "the sweet spot" ? What does that mean? that once you get to a certain point you start losing weight or you stop PB. I don't think I will ever lose weight. I have been down 20 lbs since the week before Oct 3rd.

I made spaghetti and meatballs yesterday and I can eat less then a cup of Pasta and one meatball. I have no problem, but I took a drink before my bite went down and O that hurt...but the only thing that came back up was my Water. Does it take every one at least a half to 40 mins to eat something? It takes me I have to put my plate down and wait. If I don't I get slime and then I have to spit it up. I see my doctor Wednesday morning...I have to tell him everything. I hope I am not screwing my band up by eating too fast at times and bring it back up. I do get nervous that that will happen

The sweet spot is when you are at optimal restriction. Your band doesn't even have to be full that I am aware of. I am thinking that I am near because where I could eat almost anything and nothing would get stuck, now quite a few different things get stuck. I could eat chicken with no problem before and now, more often than not, it gets stuck. Pork, hamburger, turkey :smile2:, and several other things are getting stuck. So, I will have to take my time, take smaller bites, and chew for ever.

You shouldn't be drinking while you eat either. This washes the food down and you don't stay full as long and tend to gain weight. Also, the spaghetti and meat balls, eat the meat ball before the Pasta. Proteins first, veggies next and carbs if you have room left. The time it is taking you to eat your meals is fine. I, on the other hand, eat too fast.

I do drink right before and right after I eat sometimes during. I will stop that. That's right Protein first...I forgot thanks I still don't get "the sweet spot" but I might once I know that's were I am at. lol Oh well I can leave work finally lol