Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still problems after 8 months

Dear forum members: It has been several months since I have checked back on this forum and I am embarressed to say I have not kept up. I am having problems and need advice. I was banded by Dr. Lee Grossbard in St. Pete Florida October, 26, 2004. I had some post-op problems for several weeks (unable to swallow liquids). Had to go back to hospital for hydration for over a week following surgery. Over the past months I have been following my eating ritual by eating small amounts, chewing my food and eating slowly. It is very rare for me to go a full day without throwing up a meal/"the gooey stuff". I can never eat anything solid until the afternoon and find I can eat best in the evening. Even that is an extremely small amount of food. A typical meal for meat at a restaurant would be a cup of Soup and 2-3 bites of meat from my wife's plate. I have resorted to eating ice cream, Cookies and sweets all of which fill me with no problems. I continue to lose weight at a fairly slow rate (I have been at 240 lbs for 60 days). My doctor tells me that the symptoms are typical - I need to eat slower, etc., etc. I have never had a fill or can see where I would ever need one. It is my belief that I was fit with a band that was too small and what most banders consider their lives to be normal after healing - I may never feel.

I would like to hear your thoughts, comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Actually, it sounds like you have the restriction we came for... I only wished I had that kind of restriction. I DO NOT, however, wished I PB'd everyday.. that is not something that should be happening. It can still happen, though, due to bites that are too big/not chewing until they're mush, not necessarily a fault of the band. Sounds like you might be venturing into the 'soft foods' syndrome, however, with the ice cream, Cookies, sweets thing. This will definitely slow down the weight loss.

If you were fitted with the vanguard/larger band, you may have had to have numerous fills to get to where you are. I would think if you would forego the Soup first and concentrate on the bites of Protein first, THEN veggies, THEN whatever you have room for and begin to taper off the soft foods/sweets you'll see the weight loss pick up. Are you exercising too? Drinking your Water?

I know how easy to get into the sweets/carbs thing too. I've been fighting that demon for nearly this whole past year. It's just easier, darnit!! BUT, ice cream, Cookies, sweets and chips are exactly what got me wearing this band in the first place. :)

Keep your chin up! You've been gifted with good restriction! It's that 'head' thing that keeps us thinking we NEED to eat more....

Guest j. lynn

Sounds like you have too much restriction. If you are as good at chewing as you say you are, I think you're too tight. You should be able to eat 2-4 ounces of solid Protein (chicken), and 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies in a sitting without PBing.

Do you have any fills? If so, I think you need some removed.

Sounds like 'soft food syndrome' where you are picking soft or even liquid foods because you can't eat solids. Band won't help you with liquids.

jayme

It is my belief that I was fit with a band that was too small and what most banders consider their lives to be normal after healing - I may never feel.
I have to agree with you that what you are experiencing is not a normal bandster life. You should not PB a well-chewed, well-lubed, hard-protien-first bandster meal. You should not have to resort to Soups and sweets just to get in the calories you need to live. That is not living well. No wonder you are stuck on your weight loss!

I agree with Leatha that starting with Soups is just eating around the band, but if you are doing that just to be able to eat SOMEthing without PBing it, well, more power to ya!

I might suggest eating as best you can around your band just to get in your calories for the day (and good ones, not junk) and make it your goal to go a week without PBing. This might give you some relief from swelling caused by PB's and loosen you up a bit. Only then will you be able to make a good bandster attempt at a proper meal.

The problem is, you have lost, what? 50 pounds? and you still are tight? My experience has been weight loss loosens the band. Perhaps your band is, indeed, too small. Unfortunately, only surgery to remove and replace it with a biger band will help you, unless, of course, you can lose enough to loosen your band a bit? I think you may be right about the band being too small for you...for whatever my opinion is worth.

Here's what has happened to me. I was banded April 8th and had a difficult time with post-op swelling, like you did, and went to the ER on day 8 for IV fluids to fight the dehydration. I could only take the smallest sips of fluids for a long time, it seemed. Slowly, though, by week 6 or so, I got a glimpse of my eating life pre-band, and began to experience what others described as "wide-open". By week 8 or so, I was able to eat anything, breads, pastas, etc as long as I chewed well. And I ate alot less than pre-band. It was Heaven! I really needed that!

So now, at almost week 13, I got my first fill, 2cc in a 4cc band. This was last Wed. I can still only take small sips of liquids or creamy smooth soups or egg drop Soup. I got stuck on potato soup at lunch today, but managed to not PB and I'm hoping I can finish the day with no PB. I am going tomorrow for a small unfill.

Why? Because only being able to eat liquids, soups, and small sips of anything, and PBing any well-chewed protien is NOT bandster life. I should not be struggling so to get in enough energy to complete my laundry. Yes, I want to lose weight, but I do NOT want to be malnourished and underhydrated. Plus I am increasing my risk for erosion being so tight.

Thankfully, I have the option of getting the unfill, but you do not.

I might request an endoscope to check for erosion, just in case. It's more of a long-term risk/side-effect but at 8 months of being THAT tight, it might be a possibility? Worth a look-see?

Anyhow, stay plugged in to LBT so you can read an be an informed patient. Try Leatha's good advice, if it's possible without PBing and see if that helps your weight loss. Maybe if you can get another 10-15 pounds off you will loosen a bit?

Good luck, Scott. Let us know what you think about the advice you will be getting here...keep us posted on how you are doing!

If you are PBing everyday, maybe you need to rest your stoma and esophagus and do liquids for 24-48 hrs, this could be another reason you are PBing everyday, swelling does happen after a PB and many Dr.'s reccomend 24 hours of liquids after a PB.It becomes a vicious cycle if you dont, al lyou will do is eat. pb, eat, pb.. I PBd once and it was a doozey but did not listen to my Dr. and do 24hrs of liquids and I got the worst case of esophagitis ever..very painful.. I was forced to be on liquids for 2 weeks. Not fun!

Good Luck to you I hope you get relief soon :)

To me, it sounds like you might not be chewing well enough. Whenever I eat too fast, I ALWAYS vomit. In the past, whenever I felt like it was stuck just a little, I would keep on eating - big mistake - it always comes back to haunt me. If I take the time to wait just a few minutes for it to go down, I can then resume eating and can usually finish everything. It seems like I have to start over with each meal. But, since I started taking my time and waiting it out, I have been doing much better and have not vomitted for a few weeks now. (my family thoughtthat I was startring a new eating disorder - purging! - I told them that I would never waste that precious food!)

Hopes this helps - good luck

From what I have seen with Dr Rehnke, he is awesome in person and very caring. I have seen him out of the "hospital" setting. Have you seen him and talked to him about this at your monthly checks? have you been honest to him about what you are eating? I sure hope everything works out for you. Please keep us posted... I went and read all your previous posts... I sure hope things can get settled right for you.... So you can enjoy your band.......

I know that he goes into the Surgery room and there are 3 size bands there, they are not the van guard bands. Once they get inside and see the size of the stomach is when they decide which band to use. Both of the surgeons Dr Rehnke and Dr Grossbard are in at the same time doing the surgery. (Just letting those that dont know of them know how they practice) Also depends on the amount of fat and tissue stiff around the tummy that has to be cut away.....before they put the band on...... I watched a few actual videos here on the net of real surgeries, not animated demo's, gross but yet cool...lol

I am in the process of getting this done. Just waiting for insurance approval at this point....