Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SO... I had my first fill yesterday, and was given 2cc's which I thought sounded like quite a lot. :blink: We had to drive 2 & 1/2 hrs from home for the fill and there is no fluro. The gal administering it had me drink some Water and that felt OK. I tried some pudding that I had taken along right afterwards to see how it felt and I was fine with that so we went for lunch. I had some Soup and milk and felt pretty good. By now it was about 2PM. We got back home by about 7PM, but by then I was really hungry. :drool: I had a small bite of chicken. Didn't chew it properly obviously, because, you guessed it - experienced my first PB and sliming incident. :thumbup: But you know what was the weirdest thing... I didn't get freaked out by it. In fact, I was almost facinated by it! The body is an amazing thing. Sure it wasn't the nicest experience ever, but I almost found it a relief. Yah, call me crazy, but knowing that I have real restriction again is just FANTASTIC! :rolleyes2: I had my surgery on Aug 20th and had to wait this long for the first fill, and try as I may, I was definitely falling back into my old bad habits again. I was just so hungry and all consumed by food again. :glare: This was a great reminder to get back to my Bandster Basics. Since the PB incident I had cottage cheese and some potatoe salad which were both fine, but tonite had to go out for supper. I ordered angel hair Pasta with bolognese sauce (didn't want to have another bout of it in the restaurant by choosing a solid meat dish) but the order came as spaghetti so I just went with it - I ate the proper little bites and chewed really well - with no problems at all. And felt that WONDERFUL ol' satisfied feeling again in no time with just a small amount of food. :w00t: In fact, I brought most of it home. I will try a bit of chicken again tomorrow, and see how that goes if I follow the rules and just take my time.

Anyhow -just wanted to say to anyone who hasn't had a PB or slime happen to them, at least in my own personal one time experience, don't panic, relax, put your arms above your head, let the "slime" happen and just try better next time. It's all part of learning our new life rules... and I am loving every minute of it! Now I'm gonna go and get my gym bag packed for tomorrow's workout at Curves!:smile2:

Have a great week everyone!!! Stace :blush:

I don't think you are crazy at all! In fact, I am hoping for some sort of sign that I have a band in place. I should be having my first fill Nov 10th and I hope and pray that I have some sort of sign that there is indeed a band inside me! LOL.

Anne in RI

Hey there Jack - thanks so much for the tip! I actually reheated some of that chicken for lunch today before I read your note and it definitely did require some serious chewing and teeny bites - just about got stuck. No sliming, but I stopped eating it lemme tell ya! I won't reheat anymore unless it's in the oven...

Anne - I totally understand how you feel. I always said that if I didn't know that I had surgery, I wouldn't know I had surgery... feeling the full sensation again is tremendous and you will know exactly what I mean. GOOD LUCK!!

Stace

Hey there Snowbaby! You don't sound stupid at ALL! I didn't know what it was either... it's a "Productive Burp" and boy do they mean productive! Sorry but the whole description is kinda gross but I shall do my best. The "Sliming" I referred to is this thick mucus like spit :thumbup: that comes up when something you eat can't make it through the stoma (the hole between your pouch and stomach...the hole created by the band being around your stomach). Anyhow, when I swallowed that bite of chicken and hadn't chewed it properly, it couldn't get through. I got a feeling that I've seen described many times as a "golf ball in my chest" - that's pretty darn accurate too! And then my body wanted to belch... but instead, this "slime" stuff would come up. Kinda like very mild wretching when you are sick but not nearly that strong or violent at all. It happened quite a few times, one slimy spit right after the other and then a piece of that bite of chicken came up... :smile2: then a bit more slime and then another piece of that chicken bite. And that was pretty much the end of it. None of the bile like when you throw up either so it didn't burn - it was just kinda gross. I still found it all fascinating too (the human body and it's wonders amazes me!). After the chicken came out the golf ball was gone, no more slimy spitting, no more burpy feeling... All in all it probably lasted about 10 minutes, but I have definitely heard of it lasting a lot longer for some. And folks also say to not swallow anything else when it's happening - I thik that's very sound advice - wouldn't want to actually!

Anyhow, sorry for the graphic note, but that was my experience and my goodness it has COMPLETELY reminded me the importance of those bandster basics again!! Little bite - chew chew chew.... chew chew chew!

GOOD LUCK! :mellow:

Stace

I totally agree. I had first fill today since surgery. I too was falling back into bad habits. I'm hoping to get back in line. Good luck!!!

Thank you so much for explaining! Im just scared when i go to "normal" food that will happen when im at work or out cuz when i barf i usally cry haha sad but true it just makes me nervous for some reason

Hey Stace.

I was just bummin around and found this! haha.. I just got my second fill the first was 2.0 and the second was 2.2 for a total of 4.2.. and I have really good restriction.. I eat small amounts for meals and I am not hungry at all between meals.. its even a stretch to drink liquid inbetween cause I am satisfied and dont want anything.. so different from the last few weeks after the first fill.. I was hungry all the time..

Oh and PBing.. I had my first expierence the night before my second fill funny enough.. I was trying pot roast that I had cooked for our sitter and my daughter cause I was afraid it was too dry.. was in a hurry and didnt chew it well and man it hurt like HECK! duh!:D so I was so relieved when it came back up.. and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasnt as bad as I was fearing, I thought it would be more like throwing up and it wasnt at all. very unpleasant and dont care to do it again.. but not anything like I was fearing.

anyways gotta take the kid outside its so beautiful!!

OMG!!! JACK!!!! :biggrin: THAT TOTALLY CRACKED ME UP!!! :cool2: FUNNIEST THING I'VE READ IN AGES!!! :tt2: HAHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!! So funny, AND so TRUE!!! Oh wow... :biggrin:

And Shrinknme - awesome to catch you here on the board! Great to hear from you girl! Our bands are different for sure 'cuz my max fill is 4cc's so I'm already half way there. Feelin' good though - and just got back from a KICK A** workout at Curves - burned it up baby!

:D

Hey Jack - here's a fill question (sorry, changing topic a wee bit here). I've heard that a fill can actually tighten more in the weeks following. Have you ever had this happen to you?

SNOWBABY - don't worry - it's really not like vomitting but it's still something that I would try to avoid in public washrooms if I could. But if it happens it happens I guess. Don't get too worked up about it before it even happens though - if you really do stick to the whole chew chew chew rule and are careful to experiment with new foods at home, you'll be OK.

HUGS - Stace

Edited by Sask Patient

Jack! Hilarious.. I think you have to have PB'd to appreciate that comment! thanks for putting it in such perfect terms :biggrin:

Stace. I have heard that it takes 2-3 weeks for a fill to "settle" so it can get tighter or looser after that time.. thats why they tell you to wait about a month between fills. also morning time, stress, and mentration can make it feel tighter.

so you have 2 in a 4 and I have 4.2 in a 10 so we are about the same. almost half full.. I am happy with my fill at this point.. I have good restriction and I am not hungry between meals. :D

Stace,

has anyone told you you should go back to liquid phase for 24 hours after a fill? The stomach becomes inflamed and it gives it a chance to heal. Digesting solid food could cause the band to slip at this point.

Hey there Sunwyse - you bet they did - "full liquids for 24" and I managed to stick to that until that darn bite of chicken... it was a stupid move on my part... I let myself get hungry which was dumb... so I deserved that PB episode completely! Got what I deserved. And I SMARTENED UP with that swift kick... All is well, feeling really good. Thanks so much for the tip though! Next time it will be full liquids ONLY for that first 24 hrs. No matter what...

Stace:smile2: