Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all self payers! I've got questions.

I have not posted anything in here in awhile. Was thinking I was going to get Insurance through work. But, that didn't happen. Anyways I am to that boiling point where I am needing to do this for my own sanity.

What I am wanting/needing to know is-

Where did you have your surgery?

If financed, What are your payments (pretty please)?

Also if financed where is your financing through?

Anything else that might be helpful would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I live in Texas so I am leaning toward Mexico of course but I am looking at Dr. Kirshenbaum as well.

Thank you for your time everyone.

I had my surgery in SF. I paid cash. (Used my yearly bonus and my Health Care FSA to do it.) The Health Care FSA was like an interest free loan as I put in so much per month, but was able to take out the entire amount for the year only a few months into the year.

i went to Mexico (Dr Lopez), financed... payments are right at $200 monthly. I loved the hospital in Tiajuana! The whole experience there was WONDERFUL! The place is clean as a pin and they treat you like a queen! The language barrier was not a problem either.. they give you a "cheat sheet" LOL! And they have bi-lingual workers if you really need to talk with anyone... You can also chose to stay an extra day in teh hospital at no CHARGE! I did this since I had an 8-hour flight back to Tennessee.. I highly recommend Tiajuana, MX!

oh.. forgot......... link to a person who can help you at "beliteweight"... they do all the paperwork for you right over the internet! was approved and ready for surgery in less than a week! terri@beliteweight.com Terri has had surgery herself, and she is a WEALTH OF INFORMATION!

I had my surgery done at Northwest Weightloss surgery in Everett, WA. I went through CareCredit...all together my surgery cost a little over $16000 and my payments are $302...You can apply online and be approved right away...and you can start using your account immediately because they let you print out a temporary card. I'm only 22 and have bad credit so my parents co signed for me...So worth it...Good luck

Edited by rodriguezequal
Forgot some stuff

I got on the phone and called all of Chicago to get prices of $16,000 to 21,500 for self-pay. Got set up in two different places - then, the financing option I chose was too complicated. I got all set up for Dr. K in Denver for $9,900. Then, found out about Great Lakes Weight Loss center in Detroit (3 1/2 hr drive) for $10,700.

Since I already use CareCredit for all dentist visits - and found out this place takes CareCredit (Dr. K doesn't); I asked for an increase of $6,000 using their online application (took less than 5 minutes to get an answer). This will cost me $133.00 per month - paid the remaining amount in cash from our savings.

Good Luck to you... Personally, I feel that I should have done this years ago!

Thank you all for your replies ~ :biggrin:

I have to admit that I am shocked at the difference in payments from person to person. :biggrin:

I guess all I have to do now is start applying myself for some of these places. :cool2:

In the meantime- MORE REPLIES PLEASE!

I am going to be a self payer too. I have bcbs. However, our plan is customized by our employer so lap band is not covered. I have first consultation tomorrow. I was told physician charged 5,000. That had to be paid up front. Then the hospital would set up payment plans for their portion. However, still do not know the $$$$ of the hospital portion.

Question: Is there a difference in qualification in an insurance lap band and a self pay lap band? Bmi is 38-40. No co-morbidities yet.

The difference is, if the surgeon is willing to do your band and you are a self-pay, you get a band. If you have insurance, then you have to prove to them you deserve one.

i self paid and was approved through carecredit for 10,000... i was shocked becasue my credit has never been that great...

with that being said i have a friend and a co-worker who were both denied and werent given any money... check with carecredit... its a good place to start... i put 9,900 on the card and my monthly payment is $175...

so worth it!!!

I am a self payer, paid 18,500 I financed through my local credit union.. my rate is only 6% compared to care credit of like 12%. I am paying 500 a month to get it paid off quickly... I looked at it this way .. I could buy a new car that would last me 10 years (maybe) or I could invest in ME which will last for a lifetime! I chose ME!! It was the best decision I ever ever ever made! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck on your journey!

I am going to be a self payer too. I have bcbs. However, our plan is customized by our employer so lap band is not covered. I have first consultation tomorrow. I was told physician charged 5,000. That had to be paid up front. Then the hospital would set up payment plans for their portion. However, still do not know the $$$$ of the hospital portion.

Question: Is there a difference in qualification in an insurance lap band and a self pay lap band? Bmi is 38-40. No co-morbidities yet.

I am 99% positive that you don't have the qualification constraints with self-pay that you with insurance. Insurance makes you jump through hoops so they don't have to cover what you pay for. Of course you have to be like, overweight and all but like I said, 99% sure.

I am though kinda puzzled about the $5000 for the doctor? That must be his charge for doing your surgery only (?) if it's $5000 total please let me know b/c I'll be on the next plane to wherever you live to get mine! That's cheaper then Mexico! :thumbup:

i self paid and was approved through carecredit for 10,000... i was shocked becasue my credit has never been that great...

with that being said i have a friend and a co-worker who were both denied and werent given any money... check with carecredit... its a good place to start... i put 9,900 on the card and my monthly payment is $175...

so worth it!!!

THAT'S A AWESOME PAYMENT! :lol:

THAT MAKES ME HAPPY!!! :smile2:

how long is that for in years? :thumbup:

I am in the Dallas area, self pay cash, no financing, so I can't help you regarding payments.

Both Dr. Castro by himself and TLCEdge in Dallas are offering the band right now at $9990. This includes your pre-op work up (blood tests, EKG and urinalysis), your surgery and your first six fills in the first year. Additional costs are $250 for the pysch evaluation and the cost of your Protein shakes. I am scheduled for surgery on 11/21.

I am in the Dallas area, self pay cash, no financing, so I can't help you regarding payments.

Both Dr. Castro by himself and TLCEdge in Dallas are offering the band right now at $9990. This includes your pre-op work up (blood tests, EKG and urinalysis), your surgery and your first six fills in the first year. Additional costs are $250 for the pysch evaluation and the cost of your Protein shakes. I am scheduled for surgery on 11/21.

You know It's real weird that you posted about TLCEdge. I was just on their website for the first time like a hour ago! Do you know if they charge extra fee if you are financing? Keep me posted on how you do! THANKS!