Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those bandsters that exercise regularly..

It has taken me several months (probably 10!) before I really feel like I am capable of doing this and of sustaining the effort on a consistant basis. I started swimming first, during the hot wet season at work, and worked my way up to swimming 1km a day. When it started to cool down, I switched to walking on the treadmill in the gym at work for 3 days a week. I found I would be enthusiastic for a couple of weeks and then get slack and just not go for 1-2 weeks (same old pattern as before *sigh*). However, each month, when I saw that the weight wasn't doing the same thing (i.e. losing for a few weeks then piling back on, in the old pattern), I would get inspired again and go back for another couple of weeks. All that time, it was a chore and I hated it but forced myself into it.

Several times in the next couple of months, I tried starting the Couch to 5km program (see huge thread in this forum) but at that point even 60 seconds of jogging killed me - totally puffed out and hurting my ankles and knees. I kept plodding with the walking but over time it got easier and I started going more often. About 2 months back I had another crack at the Couch to 5km and this time managed to do the 60 second jogs without wanting to die. Since then, I have been going 6-7 days a week and I'm really seeing huge improvements in fitness as well as kicking the weightloss back into gear. That's the most motivating thing for me - finally actually feeling like I'm succeeding at this!! I don't like to miss a day now!

I suggest starting off slow, my GP did not recommend running until I was about 30 -40 pounds from goal. I suggest walking to start. I still walk about 5km per evening with my doggie, and my neighbour and her doggie. If there is someone in your neighbourhood who wants to walk, you will probably enjoy chatting, and next thing you know you have walked for an hour!

I cant believe that I have transformed into this lover of running. This morning I went for a run with my doggie, just before 6:00 am. It was dark out, and it was awesome to see the sunrise. There were tons of runners in shorts (me included) as it was unseasonably warm.

Note: here in Canada any November day in the PLUS digits calls for shorts !!

You are gonna do great, once you find something you enjoy you too can become one of those annoying exercise freaks!

You are gonna do great, once you find something you enjoy you too can become one of those annoying exercise freaks!

Thanks Michee. I have to admit that is one of my goals.:thumbup:

:smile:Slim, it didn't happen over night to gain your weight, so won't happen over night to lose.It's a mind set. Make up your mind you want to be healther and better every day. Start small and work up to the bigger picture.Then you feel bad if you miss a day.I walk 4 miles in the evening and do curves in the a.m. feel so much better the 5th is my 3rd month anivers with band down 43 pounds, inches are melting away.so just go for it.

Edited by Charlietuna

Slim,

If running is your goal, I highly recommend the Couch-2-5K. If you had ever told me pre-band that I would be running 3-4 times a week, not only would I have laughed in your face, I probably would have bet you money that I wouldn't! :tt1: However, after seeing how successful so many people were that ran, I decided I might need to check it out -- and I am SOOOO glad I did! My thighs are smaller than they have ever been in my LIFE and although I did not start out as a big girl, I always had big thighs that rubbed together.

I started with the C-2-5K about 5-6 weeks postop and I took it at my own pace. I did not change to the next week just because it said week 2 or week 3, I changed when I no longer felt like I might die of a heart attack while I was working on that particular "week". Finally, after about week 4-5 (around 3 months postop), when I knew I was hooked, I dropped the program and started doing my own thing. I just ran yesterday for 25 minutes which is the longest I have ever run at one time -- I tell you, my arm is sore from all the back-patting I've done! :tt2: Seriously, though, it has (I truly believe) been the best thing for keeping my weight loss steady.

As far as how to get into the groove. Just make a plan and then STICK WITH IT. I started out with only 3 days a week and didn't move from that until about the 3-1/2 months mark when I began to crave the exercise because of the way it made me feel and the results I saw from it. I now work out no less than 4 days but generally 5-6 days depending on life. However, I let nothing interfere with my scheduled workouts (the definite 4 days) -- nothing. I just began to think about all the things I do for my family that I don't let anything get in the way of and I thought to myself -- I'm as important as they are! :thumbup: and if you really think about it, it's just as much for them since you will be making strides towards becoming healthier and living longer.

GOOD LUCK! We're rooting for you! :rolleyes2:

Thanks Southern Missy. I just downloaded a version of that to my MP3 player yesterday. I am going to try it. There seem to be a lot of people that swear by it. I will keep you posted on how I do.

southern missy you are awesome

Wow running 25 minutes without stopping ! That is incredible.

I am still running at a pace of 11 to 1 (running for 11 minutes, walk for one, repeat until totally intoxicated from running).

Did you EVER think the band would change your life this much?

Give your arm a rest, I'll do your back patting for you!

Aww Michee :thumbup:, you are so sweet! I never would have believed it -- not even 6 months ago would I have believed it. And, NO, in my wildest dreams, I never knew the band would be this wonderful!

I just ran my second marathon last Sunday and I started on the couch to 5K program. Sometimes I can hardly believe that myself. :thumbs_up: Running rocks.

I had surgery feb 28/08 I started walking 4 kms daily for about a week. started too soon. waited a week, and continued. then joined a gym with trainer apr 1/08

I go about 5 days per week. I feel great.

before surgery I would not even walk to the mail box.

I could not touch my toes, take a bath etc.

now I hike, ride my bike, and go to the gym. I feel bad if I don't go. the band is the best thing to ever happen to me. I love it when I see people that have not seen me since surgery and don't know if its me or not.

Just reading this thread is inspirational.

I just ran my second marathon last Sunday and I started on the couch to 5K program. Sometimes I can hardly believe that myself. :eek: Running rocks.

that's great julie.

i remember when i first lurked & came to this board i was reading yours and boo boo kitty's success & later plastic surgery journey... i was highly motivated. glad to see you back posting!!!

that's great julie.

i remember when i first lurked & came to this board i was reading yours and boo boo kitty's success & later plastic surgery journey... i was highly motivated. glad to see you back posting!!!

Thanks luluc! You look FAB!!