Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those bandsters that exercise regularly..

For those of you that exercise regularly now, how long did it take for it to become routine? I mean, how long did it take for the exercise to not feel completely out of your realm of reality?:) I am struggling with this, so any ideas on how to get to that point would be great.

I would say that after 3-4 months.. Now if I miss a day it throws me off plus I feel horrible. Everyday it gets easier and easier. I love it now simply because my weight falls so much easier and I feel great.

For me it didnt become routine until I made it a "daily routine". I tried the three times a week thing, and then monday would come along and I would say "I'll go to the gym tomorrow". Once I decided to do it daily I had no more excuses

I'd have to say 6-8 weeks was about the point that I didn't feel like the fattest most uncoordinated person in my gym and started enjoying it. I think the real key is finding something you enjoy that is going to give you realistic results.

Running is my thing too, I really do love it. I was training for a half marathon earlier in the year and sustained serious knee injuries (illiotibial band syndrome, or "runners knee") three weeks out from the race, so was out of action for about 3 months undergoing pretty intense physiotherapy (my band also slipped at around the same time, so I put on 20 pounds - only 4 more to go til I have it all off again).

In order to ease back into it, I am going to the gym now, 3-4 times a week. I run anywhere from 3-8km (do a mix of short and a bit longer runs every other workout to look after my knees) and then fill up the rest of the time (up to 60ish minutes) with the elliptical, rower and/or bike, whatever I am in the mood for on the day. I don't enjoy those as much as running, but the results keep me going back for now. For me, the variety is the key when it comes to the gym.

It's so great to see how well the two of you are doing, and yet so hard to fathom that I could ever get THIS body to the point where I would feel bad without exercise. I want that so badly, but I just don't know how to get there.

I am the opposite of Michee - in my pre-band days, when I would say I was going to exercise daily, the first time for whatever reason I missed it, it would be the excuse to say Well, obviously I can't do this, so I gave up. This time around, I said I wasn't going to set myself up for failure, and that I would set a reasonable goal of doing something 3 times a week. Now at 6 months after making that commitment, I am doing a lot more things, and doing them on average 5X a week. Some weeks its 7 days, other weeks 4, but I give myself permission to take the occasional day off. This seems to work for me.

In terms of what I do, I started in my basement on the treadmill - didn't want to be embarrassed in front of people (fully expecting those perfect perky bodies in second-skin lycra)... I started walking for a slow 30 minutes on the level. Then started increasing incline and speed. Finally joined the Y - discovered not everyone had the perfect body, those that did were too busy concentrating on their workouts (and they do work out HARD) to even notice me. Began adding some swimming into the routine, then added some strength training, then cycling, then 'the wave' torture machine.

Do I like it? No. Do I do it? Yes. I switch up the activities, and am now looking for more things to do and try - maybe a few aerobics classes or something. But I do it...a minimum of 4 times a week now, and it is a rare week when Im not doing something 6 days a week.

slim, i started out slow the wk of surgery. my driveway is a mile long - so i started walking daily part of it; then all of it..then up / down a couple times. i'm on a 50+acre ranch, that has a lot of riding trails - so i started trekking out back, all while having a gym membership - go figure...just wasn't ready to get in the gym.

by january it was cold & i just decided to go to the gym. started changing up cardio: elliptical / bike / treadmill / stairmaster. i wanted to after a month or so to start weight training so i got a trainer. we've been working out since the first of march, twice a wk and i do another 3/4 days of cardio. he helped me train for the 5ks and though i don't love running at all - that bit of training really help the overrall appearance of my body.

i take a day or 2 off each wk - just depends; there are days i just don't want to workout - but drag myself to the gym anyway, it became a habit around 6wks out......

In terms of what I do, I started in my basement on the treadmill - didn't want to be embarrassed in front of people (fully expecting those perfect perky bodies in second-skin lycra)...

That is my problem. I went to the gym Friday for a free trial with a trainer. This 85lb perky body comes out. I know that I can't read her mind, but I know what I would have thought at her size, looking at me. That is really tough.

slim, i started out slow the wk of surgery. my driveway is a mile long - so i started walking daily part of it; then all of it..then up / down a couple times. i'm on a 50+acre ranch, that has a lot of riding trails - so i started trekking out back, all while having a gym membership - go figure...just wasn't ready to get in the gym.

by january it was cold & i just decided to go to the gym. started changing up cardio: elliptical / bike / treadmill / stairmaster. i wanted to after a month or so to start weight training so i got a trainer. we've been working out since the first of march, twice a wk and i do another 3/4 days of cardio. he helped me train for the 5ks and though i don't love running at all - that bit of training really help the overrall appearance of my body.

i take a day or 2 off each wk - just depends; there are days i just don't want to workout - but drag myself to the gym anyway, it became a habit around 6wks out......

Can we just trade bodies for a while? You can get this one started on the right path, while I just keep yours in shape?:cool2:

Don't get me wrong Slim, I didn't actually RUN on the treadmill until about 4 months out from surgery, and even then it was a SLOW shuffle for about 5 minutes. I was incredibly unfit when I was banded, you know, I got puffed walking up 5 or 6 stairs. It won't happen fast, but over time you will notice you recover quicker after a work out (ie gain your breath back quicker) and can push your self a little harder each week. I just tried to up my work out for a minute each week. Keep track of what you are doing - you may feel silly but it will rally help you see the changes in your fitness. The first time I went tot he gym about 6 weeks post op, I did 10 minutes walk on the treadmill, 3 slow minutes on the elliptical and about 2 minutes on the rower before I felt like I was going to drop dead. Almost two years later, I am the most fit I have ever been in my life. Give your self time, but also Celebrate those small milestones. You'll deserve it!

Thanks She. I guess I want this to be instant. I will take it slow. I am supposed to go this morning and do a class with the trainer. Hopefully, I won't have a stroke during the class before it is over. uggg I will take it slow. Thanks.

I started out going 3 days a week so that I didnt kill myself right away. I felt very self conscience at first but I stuck with it and kept pushing myself. I now go 4-5 days a week and would go more if my schedule would allow. I keep myself going back because I know I am work the effort and I found something I like to do. I mostly do classes - 2 or 3 a day at 45 mintues each - and over time I got more and more comfortable. I notice the difference in myself on what I am able to do but it feels great when others notice too. One of the instuctors/trainers will randomly give me a compliment and that keeps me going! I also go to an all female gym so I dont have to worry or think about the "hottie" in the corner staring at the chubby girl. Find something that you enjoy and it will be much easier to stick to it.

good luck

For those of you that exercise regularly now, how long did it take for it to become routine? I mean, how long did it take for the exercise to not feel completely out of your realm of reality?:thumbup: I am struggling with this, so any ideas on how to get to that point would be great.

First off you have to have a game plan. I have been working out most of my adult life but I observe newbies at the gym & it seems they don't have a clue what they are going to do, jumping from one machine to another. They don't know what they are working towards except the overall goal of weightloss & that is too broad. If you have a plan in place b/4 you get to the gym you are more likely to see results & the results are what keep you coming back.

Personally I like weight training on a split schedule so I know exactly what I'm working & when like: day 1-back & biceps, day 2-chest & triceps, etc. And I always try to get in 30 min. cardio. It has never been something I look forward to & I have to make myself go most days but the rewards are great & the results from resistance training are very fast especially if you haven't done it b/4.

Just remember, the more muscle you have the more fat that muscle burns, even if you aren't doing anything. You have to start somewhere so get a book or look online (bodybuilding.com is a good source) and make a plan & stick to that until you feel comfortable & see results then change it up a bit to keep on your toes. If nothing else just do cardio for a min. of 30 mins. a day. I work out 4-5 days a week & think it's the only reason I have dropped weight since the band certainly hasn't been that much help for me. I hope this changes because this journey hasn't been what i expected. Good luck to you!

PS: To answer your specific question of how long it takes to become a habit, for me if I haven't been to the gym in a while it takes about 2-3 weeks to really get back into it but like I said above, I never really look forward to it I "JUST DO IT"!

And back when I use to be a thin person & saw a big woman at the gym trying to better herself I thought she had courage & to myself I'd wish her success. Now I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me at the gym or anywhere else. (Except if an old boyfriend saw me I'd die on the spot) The things I notice are the successes of others & strive for the same. Please don't let vanity keep you from becoming physically fit.

Edited by crazycatlady

I had a couple of sessions with a trainer to give me an idea of where to start and how to use the machines at the gym. Instead of doing a class, we did more cardio and then weight training. I am sure I am going to feel this workout. We did more today than we did last week. I am going to keep going though. It felt good just to say I survived.