Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Normal/Why???

Everyones "sweet spot" is different. I have 5ccs in my band right now and I could go a little tighter, but I have to wait until I am feeling better. Some have restriction right away and others it may take 4 fills. There's really no way to know until you get there. You are going to be hungry now because you've healed and the swelling is going down. Also for those of you who find it really hard to not drink with your meal, try destroying whatever it is that you have infront of you to drink. I pour salt into whatever I was drinking and then I can't drink it because it would be gross...give it a try it might work for you too :mellow: Drink lots of Water when you feel hungry. Sometimes (for me) right after I got banded I thought I was hungry, but really my mind was just hungry. If you are still really hungry, turn to something healthy. fruit, vegetables, a piece of lowfat cheese...just make it a healthy choice. Good luck. I hope everything goes well for you all!!!

Edited by rodriguezequal
Forgot something :D

I was banded 9/12 and feel the same as you. Though I can not eat quite as much as before, I feel I can eat normal size meals. I am full for 4-5 hours, as long as I don't drink anything. As soon as I get that bottle of Water in me I'm starving. I'm having a hard time getting my liquids in because I don't want to be hungry. I've had a few issues with getting stuck, because I'm still taking too big of bites and trying to go to fast lately. I have made the effort in the last week to slow down and chew. I get my first fill Nov 7 and I'm hoping that will help me cut my food intake in half. I've found my eyes are aften bigger than my stomach right now, and I usually leave some of what I've put on my plate. Good luck you are not alone!!!

I had a fill and still can eat quite a bit if I want to. That doesn't mean I do, but sometimes I treat myself. I still have been losing weight every week. If I treat myself one day the next day I will just be more strict

I was banded 9/8 also and am doin fine..yes i do feel hungry (before my fill) but i stuck to what my Nut and Dr told me 1/2 cup to 1cup of food per meal 3 times a day and 3 sf Snacks ...i try to eat every 2 to 3 hrs so im not always hungry...i got my 1st fill 10/24 i felt some restriction for a couple of days but that has faded so i get my next fill 12/5 ...drinks lots of fluid..dont overeat and get as much exercise as u can...good luck

All I am going to say is thank God there are others like me. I get my first fill 11/5. Say a prayer that it helps. I want my restriction back like I had after the surgery. To be honest, I would rather feel like I did one day post op and not want to eat then feel the way I do now and struggle not to eat.

I was banded on 9/26 and am also having the same issues. The only thing that I find that helps is eating lots of protien and drinking Water wit crystal light. I haven't actually had a full feeling except when I ate a hard boiled egg to fast...boy did that hurt!! The first fill isn't until 12/1. Good Luck!

Okay you new banders, Stick to the program. the band wont work by itself. You have to use a little restraint. No drinking 30 min before a meal and wait as long, even 45 minutes (if possible) after you finish eating. Take a timer and set to 30 minutes, measure your food out, set timer, set your drink on another place ,counter or whatever. You are getting hungry due to washing your food down by drinking with your meal. IF by chance when you put too much food in and not chew well enough and you drink something, it will be coming back up like a fountain spewing. So if you can get a handle on this now, early on. It will make your life much easier down the road. I have been there and done that. I was banded in jan 08, we have a tendency to learn the hard way. So Try to space your main 3 meals out. If you get hungry eat something wiht a min 7 g Protein. Example - 2 slices sandwich ham rolled with a slice 2% cheese. My drs dietician told us nothing in the mouth unless it has min 7 grams protein. Sometimes falling out of the chair will be good for you down the road. I have lost 62 lbs and 20 to goal. Loads of energy, let that new tool help you on your new journey. Good luck and hang in there all you new banders. You have just taken on a new job, getting yourself fit & healthy!!

Well, get this. I will have had about 3 weeks between my post-op visit and my first fill and the doctor wants me to lose 10-15 lbs. Is he kidding? Lose? I'm starving!! I'm maintaining my weight - but lose at this point? I don't think so. I was 196 at surgery and am 185 now. No diet should expect you to lose 10-15 in 3 weeks. I hope my first fill makes a difference because I am very hungry now.

Hang in there!! I posted earlier on this thread and I just got my 2nd fill on Wedneday and it is a WORLD of difference. Not hungry at all for a good 4-5 hours. Also-- I thought I was eating slow before this fill-- Nope. I literally place my fork on the table between cutting pieces and taking bites now to really get myself trained. I felt REALLY sick the first solid meal I ate after my fill because I didn't take 30min+ to eat my 4 oz. Luckily I didn't throw up but I thought I was going to for a good hour afterwards. Thankfully I was really sticking to measuring my food so I am adjusted to the portion size. The only thing that got me through prior to this fill was drinking warm tea w/lemon.

Warm tea works better for me than anything cold-- for whatever reason cold Water makes me feel hungry as well. I think because it must stimulate the acid in my stomach.

The best word of advice is DO NOT drink and eat at the same time because it totally goes against the whole point of the surgery. The band is a tool to help you loose weight only; there are some lifestyle changes that need to be done. You and I the same, have to break this life long habit!!! The days I refrain from drinking with my meal is like heaven because I am ful for WAY WAY longer :thumbup: