Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

whats everybody reading?

I read about 4-5 books a week. I will read anything that can hold my interest. I love getting new suggestions from this thread and look forward to trying them out.Here are some of my favorites.

If I were stranded on an island I could re-read these books :

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

A Lesson Before Dying - Ernest Gaines

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- Betty Smith

The Grapes of Wrath- Steinbeck

The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

A Prayer for Owen Meaney

Others:

Sandra Brown - Anything she write's is a good read.

Cormac McCarthy- all books have great substance

Stephanie Meyers - Twilight collection

Anne Rice (i've read it all)

Maya Angelou/I know why the caged bird sings

Ivan Doig/ Whistiling Season

Wally Lamb books

David Mitchel - Black Swan Green

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett (and others)

Water for Elephants-Sara Green

anything by Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club) Pearl S. Buck(The Good Earth)

Elie Weisel - The Night Trilogy

I also read anything and everything about:

Abraham Lincoln , Constitution, history of United States

JFK's assassination , life, family ect.

plantation and slave life

Nazi, Warsaw, Consentration camps, Aushwitz, Jews

Have you see trueblood on hbo its based on charlene harris books...

Sookie really kick ass in them...I like bill to ...

I LOVE True Blood on HBO! It rocks. I want to read the books now. :cursing:

Kasey - thanks for the suggestions. Are you a YA fan? I also loved all of Karen Cushman's books (except for Rodzina). She had a few Newberry awards. I'm finding anything with a Newberry award I generally like a lot. How exciting to get your book published!! You'll have to tell us what it is so we can read it.

Did you get banded Nov of '07? Or is that your join date? You should come join our November group. It's a great bunch of people.

I also just finished the Twilight series (well actually I will probably finish Breaking Dawn tonight.) They are great and I have been reading each book in a day or so- they are totally gripping.

I also just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, which was GREAT! It won the Pulitzer. I read that one on Thanksgiving.

I just finished "The Road" last night. What a powerful book. It was stunning

jmegirl and lindata: Thank you! My literary agent just sold my book at the end of October (publishing moves at the speed of a glacier--I haven't even seen the official contract yet), so it won't come out until either late next year or early 2010. I actually found out somebody wanted to buy my book on my birthday--and ALSO got the call I was approved by the insurance company for the lap band. It was my best birthday yet! =) My main character is a Fury out of Greek mythology in modern-day Boston and she's a ton of fun to write. I'll PM you both my pen name and book title and you can check out my writing website if you'd like!

And I DO love young adult fiction. I read more adult than YA these days, but I have always loved YA and will always read it.

I was just banded November 17th of this year--early on but doing great so far!

jmegirl and lindata: Thank you! My literary agent just sold my book at the end of October (publishing moves at the speed of a glacier--I haven't even seen the official contract yet), so it won't come out until either late next year or early 2010. I actually found out somebody wanted to buy my book on my birthday--and ALSO got the call I was approved by the insurance company for the lap band. It was my best birthday yet! =) My main character is a Fury out of Greek mythology in modern-day Boston and she's a ton of fun to write. I'll PM you both my pen name and book title and you can check out my writing website if you'd like!

And I DO love young adult fiction. I read more adult than YA these days, but I have always loved YA and will always read it.

I want to read your book too! It sounds awesome! Please PM your info! :smile2:

I am currently reading The Last Lecture. I bought the Twilight series and have finished the first book. I moved last month and have not unpacked the other books yet. It is a good motivation to unpack. I finally have my book selves put together. It is so nice to have a library in my new house. It is actually the loft but I am using is as a library. I now need to buy a really comfortable chair so I can hide out with my books!

That sounds good Kasey, right up my alley. I loved the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, which has the same theme going.

Another great book I just thought of is Peace Like a River. Wow! Especially for anyone who has ever lived in the south.

Does anyone remember "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold? The book came out a few years ago, and if I recall it was an Oprah Book Club selection. Anyways, though a teensy bit depressing, I thought it was such a wonderful story. I heard just recently that they're making it into a movie, which I think is fabulous! If you've not read it, you should definitely check it out. I have to share the first two sentences, because they're so powerful. That's really what sucked me in!

My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.

Oooh, gives me chills just reading it again. Powerful story - definitely pick it up!

I also just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, which was GREAT! It won the Pulitzer. I read that one on Thanksgiving.

I also recently read "The Road". Strange, but captivating. I read it in one sitting, which is a first for me. I also read Cormack McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men" over Thanksgiving.

I've just picked up Doris Kearns Goodwin's "A Team of Rivals" about Lincoln's Presidential Cabinet. Definitely a change of speed from the CM novels, but very interesting.

Bryan

weight.png

Does anyone remember "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold? The book came out a few years ago, and if I recall it was an Oprah Book Club selection. Anyways, though a teensy bit depressing, I thought it was such a wonderful story. I heard just recently that they're making it into a movie, which I think is fabulous! If you've not read it, you should definitely check it out. I have to share the first two sentences, because they're so powerful. That's really what sucked me in!

My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.

Oooh, gives me chills just reading it again. Powerful story - definitely pick it up!

I really liked that book! She recently came out with a new book. I bought it but cannot remember the name at the moment. I have such a huge stack of books to read! I wish I could read faster!

I really liked that book! She recently came out with a new book. I bought it but cannot remember the name at the moment. I have such a huge stack of books to read! I wish I could read faster!

I'm going to look for it!

I'm the same way though. I have so many books to read. I'm really bad about buying books I find interesting, whether they're on sale or not, and then they just sit there in stacks on the bookshelf. My husband gets mad at me for "wasting my money on books I'll never read". I tell him I'm just stocking up for when we have kids and I become a stay-at-home Mom....then I'll have plenty of time to read! Right? Wrong....hahah. Gosh, I wish I could be a stay-at-home Mom without the Mom part. That would be swell! :smile2:

Kaitiana, good luck with your book and your band journey. I am currently considering a publicist for my wife's book, which is available in paperback and ebook.