Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bipolar and headed to bandland

Caffeine was not off limits for me, only during my pre and post op diets. It does however increase your appetite. I will have caffeinated tea or a coffee drink. At first I was grouchier than normal, but I learned other things to do to help me with my depression. I took up cross stitching and crocheting...reading. Something to replace that old "friend" food :thumbup:. You need to have people you can talk to when you're depressed...someone you can turn to that will talk you through the tough times and help you overcome that kickstand in your life that always made you feel better when you were in a mood :eek:. You'll see what will work for you and what will not! Good luck to you. If you need to talk/vent I am always around :mellow:

The food changes do affect mood swings.

Cutting back on calories in general was challenging, but by taking it slow and day by day helped. My depression does increase and when it intensifies, I nap on those days. Caffine is permittable, as far as tea is concerned and sometimes I do drink a dcoke.

Overall, this was a good descision for wloss.

my best

mads

Edited by maddy

WOW...you're lucky. For me any amount of carbination is not tolerated. If I even sip a few teaspoons of sparkling cide I feel like my pouch is going to explode lol

Rodriguiz

Yes, Im at 6.9ccin 10cc band and can drink dcoke all day, but dont b/c could cause band trouble(?). I cannot drink out of bottle, but cans and fountain drinks are fine. If its with food it has to be slow and easy. Really the more carbonation the better! I guess every bandster is a little different :)

mads

Glad to hear everyone's thoughts. I am still in the beginning stages of deciding if this is for me or not. One thing I have been a little worried about is how this will effect my bipolar issues. Sounds like there will be some adjustments, but it's doable. Good luck to all of you how have decided to go with the band!

Hi,

I am bipolar too. I have not had my surgery yet, but am planning the sleeve or bypass. I am wondering how my medications will be affected. I am on Lamictol, Prozac, and Wellbutron. Can anyone help?

I am on Lamactil, Lexapro, and Depacote. I didn't have any problems with my meds. Some people may need the dosage changed and you always need to follow up on it to make sure that everything is working well. The surgery does change things...losing weight changes things. Good luck!

I'm afraid being honest in my psych eval yesterday hurt my chances of getting banded.

Is it possible that seperate psychological issues can get you denied for the band?

What did you tell them? I think they are looking to disquailfy someone who seems so emotionally unstable that they say they will kill themself if the lap band doesn't work.

I know I worried a lot about the pscyh profile when I was first trying to "in", but none of my fears have materialized. They know I am prone to depression and take meds for it. ( I don't recall if I used that loaded word "bipolar." People seem to get scared of that word.)

I have had the impression that it is just an "i" to dot for the insurance.

My psychiatrist had no problem recommending me for the band, though my psychologist seemed nervous about it. So get your letter from whoever is not making a super-big deal out of it.

I am bipolar and I am happy I can finally admit it. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I have finally found a good doctor who figured out the right conbinations of drugs about 8 months ago. Before it was hell.

I went to a hospital here and they told me that they do not band bipolar people. I left like I was discriminated against. I felt like there was something wrong with me. It is a disease that we have to be sensitive about and people just toss us into the whole - you are mental - thing.

When I went to another hospital they did not care whether I am BP or not - I did have to go through psychological evaluation thought and I passed it.

The reason they gave me at the hospital where they rejected me over me being BP was that we go through a lot of phases and we could stop taking medications or follow the instructions. Screw them.

One thing that worries me is that while I am loosing weight I will recall things that happened in my life when I was that size.

I am 24, female. I have a great boyfriend who went through hell to be with me, no matter how many times I rejected him. He is very understanding and constantly researching books and internet for BP treatment and response from our loved one. How to deal with it and what not to do to cause a shift.

Now that I am stable I feel very good and out relationship stopped being a roller coaster.

Yesterday my doctor told me that in the start he wasnt sure if he could help me now, he said, he is very proud of me because I am working hard on being mentally healthy.

Lap Band was another thing to look forward to because being BP made me depressed about my weight and how people reacted towards me.

Thanks for reading my rumbling.

rolleyes.gifOh Thank my lucky stars, I was worried I would be going this alone, I'm Bipolar, rapid cycle with issues with PTSD and borderline Multi personality, Im really worried about going into this surgery but lucky for me theres people out there like me, well in some part like me, I started the slow walk to getting my band on may 2ed i got about 6 more visits over a 4 month span before I get mine done. Is there anything I should look out for?