Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Large?

Hi, its been 8 months since my surgery and I've only lost 30 pounds. I do not have restriction. I have 12cc in my 14cc band. At my last visit, my doctor told me that if I don't get restriciton in the next fill, I may need to go in and get a smaller band. I am about at my wits end. Has anyone had to replace their band with a smaller one? I have had most of my fills done under floro, & my dr. has checked levels at each fill. I am extremely frustrated.

Hi, its been 8 months since my surgery and I've only lost 30 pounds. I do not have restriction. I have 12cc in my 14cc band. At my last visit, my doctor told me that if I don't get restriciton in the next fill, I may need to go in and get a smaller band. I am about at my wits end. Has anyone had to replace their band with a smaller one? I have had most of my fills done under floro, & my dr. has checked levels at each fill. I am extremely frustrated.

Hi, I am in Michigan also. My Dr. is Dr. Schram in Ypsilanti. I have a 9cc realize band and I have 7.5cc in it. I could probably get more, but I am at a point right now that if I get more, then I won't be able to eat much of anything and that is not how I want to live. I am getting a bit of heart burn which I never had before and I know that is a sign of a band getting too tight. From the sounds of it, you have a Lapband, not a Realize band. I don't know if there is a difference in the way you feel when you eat, but my sis has the lapband 11cc and she only has 6.25 in hers and she can only take 3 bites of food before she has to stop. What if he fills it up the 13? maybe you would get restriction then. Are you challenging your band with meats and not just eating squishy foods? If I eat mexican food, I can scarf down quite a bit and never feel any restriction. I think it just slides right on thru.

Well, it sounds like you still have 2 more cc's left until your full. You might need those last 2 to get restriction...the smallest amounts can make all the difference in the world. So go ahead and get a fill, and see what happens. You have lost weight, so that's great! Good for you!

my surgeon thought he should have put a 4cc band in me (he 99% of the time uses 10 or 14cc bands) because it took so many fills & 8.5cc in a 10cc band before i had the least bit of restriction.

i'm fine now - currently @ 7.2ccs ... but i do believe it halted my progression to restriction having a larger band than my body really needed.

Hmmmm. I have never heard of that (though of course, I don't know everything) :smile2:

I am hoping another fill will be just what you need.

I see you are in Warren. I grew up in Sterling Heights (14/Dequindre). I miss the area, though we will be visiting next week!!!! :thumbup:

JULIE

Not to be a negative, but you might want to get that extra 2cc filled. I just had lapband this past Monday 10/13. I had been talking to a friend who has had the band for over 1 year. She only lost 30 lbs. Come to find out her doctor, some doctor in Hurst Texas (not Dr. Marsden) was missing her port. Sad thing is she lost an entire year because every time she told him she could eat what she wanted he blamed her for eating the wrong thing, not exercising, etc. She wound up going to another doctor and in 3 months already lost another 30 lbs. :smile2:

well my dr. brought in a band and filled it to 12 and we checked it out, he said that there is still room, plenty of room. He also said that it takes a lot more than 14cc. Hopefully when I go in to see him in 2 weeks another fill will help. My out of pocket for our insurance is maxed out so if I do have another surgery, I would like it to be before the end of the year then I wouldn't have to pay again.

Kaieghsmommy- we are at 13 Mile & Schoenherr area. Hope you have a safe visit!