Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does restriction feel like?

What does restriction feel like? Is it a constant tightness around the belly area or just tightness when you eat? Could you please describe restriction? Thanks

It's not tightness around the belly! Someone who has it can post definitively, but I was told it's more a feeling of "oops better not eat/drink any more or I'll vomit" type of feeling. It's not really full in the "stuffed after thanksgiving" sense, but a feeling in your upper stomach and esophagus. Around your belly like around your belly button is really your intestines! :smile2:

hello....i have seen restriction described in a few ways so maybe its different for all of us....im banded 13 mths have lost 62kgs and i have good restriction.....it means for me be extremely careful when i eat....have to have tiny bites and chew the life out of stuff....

it means to me there are quite a lot of foods i can no longer eat, whereas before this last fill i could eat most things....for me im rarely hungry now....i eat way less than a cup of food but over half a cup....i never feel full but very saitified.

hope that helps a bit

Leeanne

The way I feel restriction is when I simply can't eat anymore, I just feel satisfied and with a little bit of experience you will identify that spot when you know if you eat more, you are going to get very sick.

If you eat too much you start Burping Inmediately, and in my case sometimes stomach pain.

For me, the most simple way to eat is just not to take risks and I messuare 1/2 cup for mealtime. If I feel hungry in 2 or 3 hrs. is because I need a small fill. Becareful not take any risk, is not worth it.

Regrads

Vicky

isnt it odd how some get the burps or hiccups and others dont.....doesnt happen to me....but i agree with the being careful....and also the bit about you soon learn when you have eaten enough....sometimes if i think ohhh just one more bite....yes I will p/b....pays to learn your own signals for when your tummy has had enough

its all a learning curve for most of us but you do learn and its all good:thumbup:

It feels like something is stuck in your windpipe or esophagus or if you eat another bite of something it may come back up - it is very uncomfortable feeling - you need to stop eating when you begin to feel that happening or it will just get worse

I tried to eat alittle applesauce and a little Water after i was stuck, it made it worse. It was my first time to pb slime, get stuck. I was banded in june. So what is best to do when you get stuck.. It wasn't fun...and i have been careful all day, that was last night... Thanks

What does restriction feel like? Is it a constant tightness around the belly area or just tightness when you eat? Could you please describe restriction? Thanks

restriction to me is this. Of course i havent been filled yet tho. but I can only eat about 4 oz before i start feeling full. and i mean the full you feel in your belly where its like. one more bite and ill toss it. i have been trying to measure out now only 3 oz and sticking to that.

i'm still trying to find my sweet spot so i've been underfilled and i've been overfilled.

obviously underfilled you can eat as much as you want and pretty much anything you want.

being overfilled i threw up almost everything i ate.... no matter how little it was.

i had a slight unfill (.5cc) recently and it made a big difference. i stopped throw up and i can feel restriction but i still can eat too much so i need another fill i think.

for me restriction feels like i will literally throw up if i eat another bite. i have tested the feeling and i will PB if i eat that bite i know i shouldn't.

I agree my feeling of restriction is that feeling if I eat one more bite its going to be coming back at me, and not in a good way. I feel very tight in my band, I can still feel the food in my esophogus, and I will hiccup if I had one bite too many. Restriction is great, but can be painful as hell too. Its hard to know when you will get it with some things. Today I had chicken chili and didnt feel restriction, but tonight I got 4 bites of shrimp scampi in and can really FEEL the restriction. Needless to say I didnt get 4 oz in. In fact, most meals since this last fill I dont get 4oz's in. My best advice to you is watch your bites, because just one small bite can be one small bit tooooooo many. Ohhhh thats when it all comes back to haunt you!!! Listen to your stomach....!!! Good Luck!!

For me restriction feels like a pressure in my upper chest, almost as though someone is pressing down on me, makes me want to take a deep breath. When i get that feeling i know to stop eating and do not even think of taking another bite or intense pain will occur and chances are food will want to come back up. I have the large VG band and have 10cc in it so i am very restricted. Its taken me 2 years to get to this point of restriction. For instance tonight i made a weight watchers entree and was only able to eat 1/3 of it before i had to stop. It took me a half hour to eat that. Takes alot of getting used to.

Ill eat and then suddenly i will get that feeling of food stuck, i start burping or hiccuping and pain, some times i can eat heaps then other times its just acouple of mouth fulls, but i still feel hungry. just about every day i have to go and make my self sick to try and get the food out to stop the pain, does anyone else make them selfs sick?

I was banded 7/1/08 and have had 3 fills plus the 4cc's that he put in during surgery, for a total fill of 9.5cc's. I do not feel restriction. I have been losing very well up till now (nearly 70 pounds!). I am now at the point where most of my diets fail, I get bored and give up. My next appointment is 11/20 and, since I am so close to capacity (10cc's) I had thought to not have a fill this time. But I am eating everything in sight so that idea has gone out the window. I NEED a fill, desperately. I am also concerned for the long haul, two or three years, say I feel the need for another fill, will there be capacity for it? I went into this for a lifetime, I just hope it works that way for me.

Leigh

:thumbs_up:

Ill eat and then suddenly i will get that feeling of food stuck, i start burping or hiccuping and pain, some times i can eat heaps then other times its just acouple of mouth fulls, but i still feel hungry. just about every day i have to go and make my self sick to try and get the food out to stop the pain, does anyone else make them selfs sick?

You should emphatically not be PBing every day. If you do PB, go to liquids for a day then ease back into solid foods gradually. Make sure you are taking tiny bites about the size of an M&M and chewing thoroughly. Pause between bites. This is really hard to do if you get too hungry. (I'm still having trouble slowing down.) If you are doing all of this and still having a problem, you should talk to your surgeon and possibly have a slight unfill.

I was banded 7/1/08 and have had 3 fills plus the 4cc's that he put in during surgery, for a total fill of 9.5cc's. I do not feel restriction. I have been losing very well up till now (nearly 70 pounds!). I am now at the point where most of my diets fail, I get bored and give up. My next appointment is 11/20 and, since I am so close to capacity (10cc's) I had thought to not have a fill this time. But I am eating everything in sight so that idea has gone out the window. I NEED a fill, desperately. I am also concerned for the long haul, two or three years, say I feel the need for another fill, will there be capacity for it? I went into this for a lifetime, I just hope it works that way for me.

Leigh

:thumbs_up:

Leigh, it is possible to fill your band way beyond the written capacity. Don't worry about running out of room. Also, the fuller it gets, the less Fluid it takes to make a big difference. Sometimes only a drop will do it. So dont worry about the numbers. There are only three fill levels: too little, too much and just right. :frown: