Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with addictions

I don't know what to do. I feel like such a victim.

I'm trying to quit soda.... cocacola to be exact. I'm a SERIOUS addict. Coke gives me this good feeling in the pit of my stomach that no other beverage can do (except the occasional gulp of pickle juice... but I can't drink that all the time lol). I don't know what it is about coke, but it's so friggin satisfying. I have moments (in the evening at home) where I just absolutely CRAVE coke... like I HAVE to have it. As soon as I drink it I feel RELIEVED.

How oh how can I kick this habit? What's the best way to do it? I seriously need help here.

Another addiction I'm battling is food.... how can I kick my addiction to things like chicken wings???

I have one fear that's always on my mind about getting banded and I was wondering if you had this experience or know of others who have? It is this: I see clearly that I use food to alleviate boredom (especially lately since I am not working), anxiety, sadness, tiredness, illness, frustration, etc. you get the picture. It is rare that I eat just for hunger but when I am full and not hungry I do it far less often. My biggest fear is the withdrawal symptoms of no longer being able to use food as a drug. I've been using this "drug" for almost 40 years....My question is does the band help with the 'head hunger"? Will suddenly not being able to eat like I'm used to bring on psychological issues or intense frustration? If it does how long does it last? Or (and I am hoping this is the case) does that constant craving decrease when you physically feel full and you have the band which is heading you in the direction of eating less and getting healthy? I know the Band is not a magic bullet and I am willing to do what ever it takes but I'm just afraid of the food withdrawal? Any comments?:)

This will be hard for sure. I first kicked drinking Pepsi a couple of years ago. It was very hard for sure but I knew I needed to stop the caffine intake that I was consuming. For me I had switched to drinking Sprite, Water, and iced tea. Yes I know iced tea has some caffine in it but not at the high amounts that Coke does. Later on I finally kicked soda all together out of my home and my work life. I have still allowed myself on ocassion when going out to have a coke but that's it. I have gotten used to drinking water at work and then I will have sugar free drinks at home. I am lucking in that my wife was willing to stop having soda in the house with me. That was a major part in me kicking the habbit was to not even have it around. At work the soda machine is on another floor of our building so that has kept me away from it.

Good luck to you with kick the Coke addiction.

Hi.. I had a similar addiction to Pepsi. What did it for me was the pre op diet. I had to do Optifast for 2 weeks in order to shrink my liver prior to surgery. Not all docs use optifast, but mine did. It was really hard, but I had read on here about someone who woke up from surgery only to be told her band wasn't placed because her liver was too big. So I wasn't going to cheat on that diet and risk waking up without a band. And then after getting the band you can't have carbonation.. so my addiction was broken. I won't tell you it was easy, I was in tears a few times on that pre op diet and the week right after surgery, but I know this is what I wanted. You have to decide whether you can give up Coke. Talk to your surgeon about this.. about what his preop requirements are, and your concerns. Good luck! I'm 5 weeks out from surgery now and feeling wonderful. I only miss Pepsi occasionally now, but not enough to take a chance: A) being in pain. or :) damaging my pouch.

OMG - I am soooo glad to hear from someone else that is addicted to Coke. I, too, THINK that I need a bottle every day. I am trying so hard to give it up. I have switched to the G2 drinks (like Gatorade, but with less calories) I have to be in the right mood for just plain Water - unfortunately, I'm not in the right mood very often. I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Good luck on your endeavor. It's tough, I'll agree with that.

I had or probably still have (just haven't let myself have it) a huge addiction to Dt. Dr. Pepper I used to drink 10-12 a day. I had switced to caffeine free a few years earlier but loved the carbonation. I was on pre-op diet 9 days before surgery and was banded on 9-30-08, I haven't had one in all that time but still want it as bad as ever.

My head hunger is still there as well. I used food as my best friend, it has always made me feel better even though it was killing me. I am very emotional and mad at the world right now. I'm hoping it will get better when I start seeing results on the scales and get able to do things I haven't been able to do at this size.

hi, i'm kris and i am a diet pepsi addict.

i've tried giving it up cold turkey... didn't work.

i've tried reducing my intake... didn't work.

i continued to drink diep pepsi throughout my pre-op diet. having that last sip the night before my surgery felt like i was losing a best friend. i didn't have the caffeine withdrawl because when it would have hit, i was on the pain meds after surgery.

i was good... i didn't drink any carbonated drink for 3 months post-surgery like instructed but i have started drinking it again since then. i now drink about 20 ounces of diet pepsi a day and eventually i would like to kick the habit for good.

i had to give up bread (including pizza) and ground meat (no more burgers for me) so i'm letting myself have this one vice... for now!

I was a diet soda addict myself. Thats all I drank. First thing in the morning I'd grab one before food, etc. I went thru a 24 pack in less than a week. I was having 8 diet sodas a day.

I gave it up cold turkey a month before my surgery. I figured I might as well get prepared right away. I think I was on a high knowing I was going to have lapband and wanting the lap band so bad.

I haven't touched a diet soda since. I've been severly tempted, but have not had one. I'm too afraid after learning I can no longer tolerate bread, Pasta or salad. I got sick on each one of those things so I don't want to get sick on soda. Gagging up those things killed.

I just keep thinking I'm no longer rotting my bones with the carbonation. I'm not even sure how people banded are even drinking it. I can tell you I hate a flat or warm diet pop, so I'm not even sure how bandsters are letting it go flat first.

I was hooked on Diet Pepsi and I quit cold turkey on day-one of my pre-op diet. I though it was going to be the hardest thing to do (I drank around six cans or more a day). But it wasn't too hard, after getting through three days of headaches from the caffeine withdrawal I was just fine.

But if you are drinking regular Coke, you are having to battle two types of addiction, the caffeine addiction and the sugar addiction. Try switching to diet Coke first, then start alternating caffeine free Diet coke and Regular Diet coke weening yourself off the caffeine slowly Then start adding band-friendly drinks in between your caffeine/sugar free Cokes (home brewed caffeine free tea, Crystal Light or Water are good choices), first one glass in between then two....

Edited by Jodi_620

I have one fear that's always on my mind about getting banded and I was wondering if you had this experience or know of others who have? It is this: I see clearly that I use food to alleviate boredom (especially lately since I am not working), anxiety, sadness, tiredness, illness, frustration, etc. you get the picture. It is rare that I eat just for hunger but when I am full and not hungry I do it far less often. My biggest fear is the withdrawal symptoms of no longer being able to use food as a drug. I've been using this "drug" for almost 40 years....My question is does the band help with the 'head hunger"? Will suddenly not being able to eat like I'm used to bring on psychological issues or intense frustration? If it does how long does it last? Or (and I am hoping this is the case) does that constant craving decrease when you physically feel full and you have the band which is heading you in the direction of eating less and getting healthy? I know the Band is not a magic bullet and I am willing to do what ever it takes but I'm just afraid of the food withdrawal? Any comments?:)

The band will not stop your head hunger but once you reach restriction, you will not be physcially able to eat a lot of food at one time. However, the band will not be able to make you eat the right foods and keep you from eating between meals, you won't be hungry between meals but you will be able to graze (pick) if you allow yourself to. I was worried about it too but I have been doing great. If you are not able to channel your addiction to something healthy on your own, you may want to consider counseling.

I just had my first appointment with a counselor (that only deals with eating disorders) to deal with my food issues. She pointed out that our food addictions are just as bad as any other addictions. The difference is, we have to have food to survive. Until you are able to walk past a coke without picking it up, it would be in your best interest to not have any in the home. That way, you won't have the temptation of seeing them. Also, as someone else mentioned, the thought of hurting my band made it easier to give up the sodas. I haven't had a soda since my seminar back in August. It was hard, but after a few days, it got easier. My doctor says no sodas for at least a year, and if he has his way about it, never to have another soda again.

Edited by *slim*

Maybe you could try some sessions with a behavioral therapist? Not the kind where you lie on the couch and whine, but a more action/goal oriented therapist? I went to one last year and she truly helped me figure out when and why I overeat, and gave some good ways to combat it. Now I can tell when I am wanting to eat just to reward myself (my big issue) or when I am REALLY hungry. It is truly helping me now. My ins paid most of it, I paid like $11 a session. Worth every penny. I googled "behavioral therpaist for eating disorder in San Antonio" and that's how I found mine LOL .... might be worth a try. I am really having an easy time all around with the band; no fears, no angst, no feeling like I'll never eat again etc and I know a big part of that is what I learned about my food habits from my therapist.

Good luck!