Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi kids.

Well the question is will it be time to have plastics by next summer? I'm having my initial consult on Monday with the plastic surgeon. I know my weight seems high still at 178. But by June it should be closer to 160. I expect to lose 20-25 pounds in skin, so that should put be just about right.

I'm planning on waiting until June because I work at a school and I can take extended time off then.

Any way, I thought I put it out there. I'm currently a size 14 and that seems to big to go after surgery, but I'm also full of skin. My highest known weight was 338, and I was probably at 350 but never stepped on the scale. With that said, I've lost 172 pounds and me naked isn't pretty.

I'm healthy and strong; I work out consistently so I have faith the doctor and find my pretty little muscular frame under all this skin. Any words of encouragement are appreciated. :wink2:

Juli

I've found every plastic surgeon gives a different answer. Some say having PS is a good way to break a plateau when you are close to goal. Some say you should be at goal and a stable weight for X months.

But it's never too early to *think* about it. Heck, I'm going to be San Diego for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking of going to visit some Plastic Surgeons in Mexico while I'm down there and I'm only 2 weeks out! (But if I go to MX, I want to have seen the clinics before I get there and I won't be back to SD for at least another year).

Hi Juli

I ended up having mega surgery on September 9 - one of the 4 procedures completed was a panniculectomy (considered to be medically necessary to reduce possible complications due to excess skin and fat in my abdomen).

I can't compare to a full Tummy Tuck, that includes liposuction, but I did have muscle repair due to two abdominal hernias. The ps took about 5 pounds of skin and fat (would have thought from the look of what used to be there that it would have been more- my apron used to cover my genitals).

I am having Fluid and swelling issues, and still have drains, but that said - it is an INCREDIBLE feeling to have the apron of skin gone at the base of my belly. I had the surgery at 164 pounds (I am 5 ft 4 and 1/2 inches tall). I am still in the same size pants, but I no longer have to "stuff" in my belly and my pants actually go in (concave) at the top of my thighs. Who knows - I may get really daring and actually tuck in a shirt one of these days!!!!

As said before you will get different answers from ps, but I think if you are pretty close to goal, you should go for it. You are probably the most fit of your life and you are in great health, so the surgery should be at its easiest. It would also be good to have as much time off of work as you need.

Couple of notes though: the excess skin and fat they take away doesn't necessarily reflect in your weight loss. I have read from many folks here that they have the surgery, expect to lose a lot of weight and it doesn't happen (I have no idea why). I am currently up about 6 pounds (was up almost 30 after surgery) - and am still not up to eating lots.

The other thing you will notice is that when you get one thing "fixed" your other deficiencies get highlighted. I really want to get my arms done (with a possible breast lift) as I am very self conscious of the bat wings. I would really benefit from something getting done to my butt and particularly my thighs (can anyone say shar pei thighs), but I am not sure that my pocket book can justify it. If you can, you may want to consider doing as much together as is safe. Dr. Schulman has a thread here and I know he has talked about what procedures he will sometimes combine.

One last note - I don't know where you live but one complication could be doing surgery in the heat of summer. Most ps require you to wear a compression garment pretty much 24/7 for up to 6 weeks. Think of your mother's full body girdle, but worse. I didn't end up using mine (because of other complications and long hospital stay - 10 days), but the one I was supposed to wear went from under my breasts to my knees. I kid you not, it was hideous and may have been terribly uncomfortable in a really hot, humid climate.

Good luck in your decision making - there is lots of great information on this thread!!!

Jacquie