Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

kind of discouraged...

hey everyone. i got banded on august 12 and immediately lost 10 pounds because of the post-op liquid diet. i've since gained back most of that weight. i've had one fill and thought that maybe i would start to feel some kind of restriction. but no, i've got nothing. i really really really want this to work and feel like i'm eating the way i'm supposed to but it's hard to stop when you're still hungry. i mean, if i could do that unassisted i wouldn't have gotten the surgery in the first place. is this just because i'm not filled enough? i'm scared of failing again but that's how i feel. i'm sorry if this annoys anyone since i know i've read posts complaining about people frustrated about stuff like this but oh well. it's just how i'm feeling and really have nowhere else to talk about it. anyone else dealt with this? people are asking me how much weight i've lost and i feel like i'm failing when i say nothing even though i'm almost 2 months out.

Ok, first things first, when people ask you how much weight you have lost, tell them that is not what you are most interested in with the lap-band. Tell them you are first and for most interested in getting healthy and extending your life. We all know it is also to lose weight, but people shouldn't make you feel like a failure just because you can't report back a loss to them. What you lose or do not lost isn’t their business.

We also all know the band can be tricky and finding that "sweet spot" takes some time, once you do though, there will be nothing holding you back. It sounds to me that you need another fill, no big deal. I wouldn't beat yourself up about the weight gain though. You have ONLY had 1 fill, don't worry you will be great! :tongue2:

Be patient :tongue2: It will come in time we didn't learn all these bad habits overnight.....and the weight didn't come on overnight. Your lap-band is a tool. I was a slow starter too. Some of my own fault like your walk cannot include an ice cream store in the middle ( thank god they are closed till summer) I got a good tounge lashing from the doc on that one. So now I am behaving and joined Curves too. I started seeing the benefits immediately so hang in there I am on my 4th adjustment/fill.

Hi Trish,

I wanted to add my two cents here. I was banded May 1, I lost 15 pounds before surgery; liquid diet. Altogether, I have dropped 38 pounds, since. The band is a tool, you have to do your part, too. Only eat small, small portions and lots of liquids, for now. I'm quilty of not drinking enough Water, but I do try. The band is only a tool and you have to work with it, to make it work. I agree it might take a few fills. I am at 6cc and I just began feeling the restrictions. But, before, I listened to my body. When I had that first thought that I was full, I quit eating. If I didn't get that feeling, then I quit when I thought I had eaten 4-5 oz of food. I wont lie, it was tough to teach myself that, but I did and boy did it work. BUT, we all do it differently and it works differently for everyone. Good luck and let us know. D'

thanks guys. yeah, i know that i need to do my part too and i have been for the most part. i just really needed to vent my frustrations. i just wish i didn't have to wait another 5 weeks to get my next fill... i guess it'll all be worth it in the end though.

Trish. Don't be hard on yourself. None of this is easy and we do the best we can. All of us have really good days and not so good days. Just keep a positive attitude. I read a quote on here that I will share with ya - It does not matter how much I weigh or how much I have lost, or what size I wear. What matters is at the end of every day I can honestly say to myself that I took good care of myself today. Not sure where it came from, but it is good. Keep smiling and do take care of yourself. Becky

hey everyone. i got banded on august 12 and immediately lost 10 pounds because of the post-op liquid diet. i've since gained back most of that weight. i've had one fill and thought that maybe i would start to feel some kind of restriction. but no, i've got nothing. i really really really want this to work and feel like i'm eating the way i'm supposed to but it's hard to stop when you're still hungry. i mean, if i could do that unassisted i wouldn't have gotten the surgery in the first place. is this just because i'm not filled enough? i'm scared of failing again but that's how i feel. i'm sorry if this annoys anyone since i know i've read posts complaining about people frustrated about stuff like this but oh well. it's just how i'm feeling and really have nowhere else to talk about it. anyone else dealt with this? people are asking me how much weight i've lost and i feel like i'm failing when i say nothing even though i'm almost 2 months out.

Hang in there, it'll come off. You have just begun your journey. If you haven't already, but best advice is to make sure you have added exercise..GOOD exercise, the kind that makes you sweat. When I find myself not losing as much as I would like, I go on Optifast for a day, it seems to kick start the loss again. But, the main thing is that I have added a LOT of exercise and that has made the most difference. Good luck, one day you'll start losing again and it will be awesome!!:tt2:

I am 3 months out and feel just like you - I am very discouraged - more this weekend than before not sure why - maybe hormones but I was thinking today why did I let them cut me and put these scars here and go thru this for this little return. I think I would have lost more sticking to my old standby Atkins diet. I am AMAZED at how little I eat now and still don't lose weight. I thought it would fall off - I get a fill tomorrow and I know they are going to tell me I have gained weight and think I have been pigging out and I haven't.

You are expecting too much from a fill. The fill is not going to make you lose weight, it is only going to keep your appetite in check. My friend, Patty had surgery the same day as myself and she keeps wanting fills so that she can "lose more weight", but the fills don't do it. When she started exercising, the weight started falling off. So, yes you need the fills for appetite control, but please don't expect too much from them or you are going to be disappointed like my friend Patty. Now, if you are eating TOO much, then that is a different matter. But, a fill is not magic, it is not going to make you lose more weight. It just helps you by helping you to eat less. But, remember, ice cream, candy, etc go down very nicely even with a tight fill, so up the Protein and down with the carbs and up with exercise and I think you will start seeing an improvement. Make sure you are getting enough protein. I drink Liquid Protein every single day after I get home from the gym, it really does help. Good luck.