Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have a December Date?

I started my two week pre-op Liquid Protein diet today. I came to the forum to look for some support. I've been a lurker on these boards since I decided to go for the surgery back in March. My surgery date is December 10th and I'm nervous and excited. I also had a lot of "last meals". I tried to fit in all my favorites and not gaining weight. Haha:lol:

My Dr. prescribed Optifast. He had 4 varieties-chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, and Tomato Soup. The Tomato Soup is pretty good. The other three taste like Slim Fast and I don't care for Slim Fast. Since I paid a small fortune for it though, I will tough it out. It's only the first day on the Protein Drinks and already I'm craving things like popcorn, hamburger, and mac n cheese. Actually anything that I could chew sounds awefully appetizing at the moment. Gosh, this is tough.

I like all the creative group names that everyone's come up with. It's helpful reading through these posts knowing others are at the same point in their journey. I hope everyone has a lovely and happy Thanksgiving.

Are you using the powder OptiFast or the pre-made shakes? In another post I mentioned that I'm allowed raw fruit so I blended a cup of frozen blueberries in with a vanilla shake and it's pretty yummy!! Here's a hint -- don't wait until you're starving before having a shake...try to drink one before you feel like attacking the snack cupboard like a hungry bear!! :blush:

hi kerry,

thanks for the kind words it feels good to kno that there is others going thru the same thing or at least understand what im feeling. i have lost 34lbs but, 3 of that was before i started the program and the other 31 is out of the 39 program said i have to lose. i have come so close i can almost taste it. starting liquid diet today. so we will c what happens. my dr didn't require liquid diet he does south beach. but, im gone try the liquid one and see how it works.

Are you using the powder Optifast or the pre-made shakes? In another post I mentioned that I'm allowed raw fruit so I blended a cup of frozen blueberries in with a vanilla shake and it's pretty yummy!! Here's a hint -- don't wait until you're starving before having a shake...try to drink one before you feel like attacking the snack cupboard like a hungry bear!! :)

My doctor gave me a script for the premade ones. It cost me $142 for a 2 week supply. He wants me to be strictly on the Protein drinks and zero calorie non carbonated liquids. Honestly, I've been waiting til I'm starving before I have one because I can't stand them really. I'm not even going to finish the strawberry ones that I have. They are going in the garbage.

I don't know how bad this is, but they want me to drink five a day and I've been drinking 3-4 (plus my Water and broth) a day cuz they taste so bad. There is an upside though. When I weighed myself first thing this morning, I've lost 7.5 lbs since Wednesday... :blush:

My doctor gave me a script for the premade ones. It cost me $142 for a 2 week supply. He wants me to be strictly on the Protein drinks and zero calorie non carbonated liquids. Honestly, I've been waiting til I'm starving before I have one because I can't stand them really. I'm not even going to finish the strawberry ones that I have. They are going in the garbage.

I don't know how bad this is, but they want me to drink five a day and I've been drinking 3-4 (plus my Water and broth) a day cuz they taste so bad. There is an upside though. When I weighed myself first thing this morning, I've lost 7.5 lbs since Wednesday... :wink2:

Congratulations on the weight loss!! :thumbup: You go girl!! But before you toss out the strawberry pre-mades, why not try emptying one in a blender add a few ice cubes and a capful of strawberry extract? Blend well.

I'm thinking of applying to The food Network for my own show about doctoring up Optifast. :lol:

You all are getting pretty creative with the Optifast! I have been known to doctor shakes with just a teaspoon or so of SF-FF Jello instant pudding powder. A bit of choc fudge inst pudding blended in that strawberry shake may help it along. Be sure to put the pudding powder in blender with just a little of the pre-made shake to blend, then add the rest of the shake. Most strawberry flavored things - candies, shakes, etc., taste pretty bad IMHO. I add SF-FF pudding powder to other flavors - choc fudge to improve the choc shake, butterscotch or pistachio to flavor the vanilla - it works pretty well and you can pick the flavors you like.

I am on 2 Adkins shakes a day, along with the usual SF juices and drinks, broth, jello, etc. I can also have 3 or less servings of dairy (8 oz sk milk or 8 oz. light yogurt or 1/2 cup cottage cheese). I always liked cottage cheese, but I can't believe how good it tastes these last few days! Please - anything that is not SWEET! The Adkins shakes are pretty good and filling. I am in my 3rd day, have lost 7 pounds, and not hungry... Doin' okay.

4 days to go.

I ordered the Unjurt powder and I have found it to be pretty good. So much better than Medifast that the nutrionist pushes. (She gets a cut if you order it) I have been adding just a drop of almond extract to the vanilla and chocolate. It reaaly gives is a fuller flavor.

I really miss chewing. I have been on Protein Shakes and Soups since last Monday. I thought I was all smart starting 2 days early...Boy am I regretting that.

Only 3 more days to surgery...Whew. I heard you are really not hungry afterwards for a while and literally have to force down those shakes.< /p>

I am drinking the Unjury shakes also and I really like them. I order the chicken Soup flavor the other day (hoping it will get here before surgery so I can taste it). I have tried the vanilla and choc and both are pretty tasty. I recommend trying them! I like to add vanilla extract to the vanilla one. Makes it taste like a milkshake:cursing:. The web site is www.unjury.com and the prices are pretty reasonable. $18.95 for 16-18 8oz shakes.

Congratulations on your December 11th date! I'm scheduled for December 30th...it's my New Year's gift to myself! :cursing: I'm beginning to become a bit anxious. Also, reading about the people on this site, who had surgery done in June and have only lost 3 pounds is freaking-me-out. I'm excited, yet worried. You?

nljs - you need to look at other threads! There are a lot of positive people on LBTalk who are following the rules and losing weight steadily. Check through the home page for those folks - in the mentoring area there is a thread starting "I'm here to help..." started by IndioGirl for those who need the support of people who have been successful at reaching their goals. I believe we need to know that complications are a possibility, and that some people are not as successful as we would like to be. But after you have read some of those, please turn your attention to those who are successful and who can give you positive advice and help. This journey you are going on is a mental process, as well as a weight loss process, and what you feed your brain will determine how successful you will be. Be committed, follow the rules, and you will reach your goal!

I found that chasing the Optifast with broth helps me alot. I crave salt more than sweets so this has been working out alot better than just drinking the Optifast alone.

I find that I am craving fish. Normally, I am not fond of fish, so I'm not sure where this is coming from. I hope it lasts through surgery when I am allowed lean Protein. My surgeon prefers that I eat fish over chicken, to start out and I was dreading it. Maybe it won't be so bad after all. I think my taste buds are changing, either that or I'm listening more to what my body needs, instead of what my taste buds want. I agree with shrinkinmom, I miss chewing.

On a positive note, my fat pants are getting lose :thumbup: I've noticed that I don't feel as sluggish or tired.

I have my last appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday. I think he'll go over what I can expect after surgery. I'm not sure what else but I have to bring a support person with me to help me remember.

10 more days to surgery. It's coming up so fast!

Help, I'm starving and i'm only on pre op liquids day 3!!!!!:wink2: Tomorrow i go to work and have to sit with 3 girls that munch on everything and eat at mcdonald's twice a day and the smell of food is always in the office from someone heating up something they brought from dinner the night before! Any advice? :thumbup:

My date is Dec. 2!!! So close but so far away!!! Can't wait until it's all behind me and I can see my Ticker moving down..... How about the name... A December to Remember (too long?)

Surgery is in 15 hours. Wish me luck!!!