Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SICK OF LOOSING WEIGHT! (yes I really mean it)

Although some would say i've ultimatley been successful on my weight loss journey (I've lost 70lbs since last feb), the truth of it is I have another 50-70 lbs to go.

For me, the lapband is a slow process, i can only get my band tightend a little bit a time (believe me, i found out the hard way through trial and error) I get so frustrated when I hear people who drop the weight so quickly and here I am plugging along like a tortoise. None of my clothes fit, and I can't buy new ones becasue I was apparently so fat I have a ton more to loose.

Sorry to sound so negative, but i'm just TIRED of this whole process and I really NEED to get to where I am going to be weight-wise so I can move on with my life. This transition period is really frustrating me now. Is is just me, or others get to a similar place along the line? I know I sound ungrateful, that 70lbs is quite an accomplishment, but when you are only halfway there and stuck in the middle things get tricky. It's depressing, i can't buy anything new but shoes because at least i know they will fit 2 weeks down the road. I know, i know, i brought it on myself....but how long does it REALLY take to get to where you want to be? Can anyone shed some light at the end of this for me?

When I inquired from my medical people about the realistic expectations of the weight loss, I was told that 7 pounds a month is considered a good pace. If you've lost 70 pounds since February...eight months... That's 8.75 per month.... so you're ahead of the normal... and at 7 per month it could be that you will be at your goal by next summer.... That seems pretty great to me. Of course they say the first part comes off faster than the last part, but still after being so overweight I'm just looking forward to feeling better. At a meeting I was at today we discussed the fact that this really shouldn't be about a number, but about how we feel and how good our health is.. I have been near 400 in the past so 300 seems wonderful... 200 something would be fabulous and 100 something seems like a dream.. I'm going to wait for that "feeling"....... I hope you can find a way to be happy for yourself and look forward to what 's to come. Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. Just think of all you can do without that 70 pounds.... Must be wonderful.. I'm at 41 and can't wait to get to 70... Take care now and try to enjoy your life .... Julie

Congrats on the 70 pounds. I bet if you had lost 70 pounds in Dec 2007 - you would be feeling great and not defeated.I feel your pain. I am about 1/2 to my goal and my weight loss as slowed. I also had your state of mind for a while. This helped me:

That 140 pounds didn't go on in 2 weeks and it isn't going to come off in 2 weeks.

It would be great to go out and re-fill my closet with new stuff. But having spent a small fortune thru the years only to have it be too tight a month or so later- I am happy to have stuff be a little big right now.

You have to remember this isnt a process or a diet. This is the new healthier you. There is a famous saying that Life is what happens when you are making other plans. Don't wait to hit your goal to start living.

ummm...it has taken me 2 1/2 years to lose 60 pounds. you are not moving at a tortoise pace...you are sprinting at a rabbits pace.

slap yourself and snap out of it. you are doing great job...be proud of it and stop having unrealistic expectations!

I know where you are coming from as far as being frustrated about the slowness and the clothes. I've never been in the position before of having "temporary" clothes. I've been shopping at yard sales, thrift stores, clearance racks and several friends have given me clothes. You can try selling some of your nicer things on ebay to help with the expense of new clothes.

Hang in there and just keep plugging away! We will get there someday!

I am close to the point where you are. I have lost about half of the weight I need to and now fight for every pound that I lose. I can relate to the tiredness. I just took a week to be nice to myself. I worked out but slowed the pace down from what I normally do. I didn't pig out but didn't journal every bite I put in my mouth and ate what I wanted when I was hungry. I went to Walmart and bought a pair of jeans that are pretty tight now, but will losen up in a few weeks. I also bought a 3/4 sleeve tshirt. None of the clothes are fancy and I spent about $25, but it feels good to wear something that fits, won't be falling off of me for a few months, and didn't break my savings account. Give yourself a mini vacation and treat yourself. You'll probably even lose a few pounds without noticing!!

I agree, you have done such a wonderful job losing half of what you wanted to lose. It may just be time to switch up your routine. Your body may have adjusted to your workout routine or you calorie intake. Maybe it is time to either raise or lower your calories for a few days a week to throw your body off balance. Maybe it is time to do a differenct workout (i.e. step aerobics if you normally do wateraerobics). I think this journey is only going to be what we make of it. I think you should be so proud of what you have accomplished. You haven't gained any weight. Just snap out of it and stop concentrating on the negative. The scale will start moving again.

Lol, no I dont get it. Having been at goal for at least a year (cant really remember now) I really miss the excitement of losing weight. I've never been able to stop that "just lose a little more" mentality and accept myself as I am right now. Although I never actually lose any, lol.

Its kind of like "what now" when you get there. After so long a focus, well a whole lifetime, of wanting to lose, wanting to change, its really strange to not have that any more, so you tend to keep feeling that way without the ability to really do anythign about it, unless you want to go and overindulge in cosmetic surgery or something and end up looking like Pamela Anderson. I can really understand how that happens though.

There's plenty to work on when you get to goal, its not some wonderful place where you never have any desire to change yourself again.

Hi:

You have done wonderfully to lose the 70 that you've lost. Why not pick up the pace by exercising alot more? It can really make a big difference.

I know, I've been stuck at 176 to 177 for about two months now, so who am I to talk. Well, I'm very close to goal and it seems to be taking forever. I am getting alot of exercise - cardio-type and toning (trikking). In the next month I'm going to join a local gym and try to use some of those funky machines to work on strength training.

I ws shopping in my own closet for months and then I started shopping for used clothing and found that I really like to buy used clothing because I could get alot of things for little money. I would just wash them and then wear them and they've all been fine.

Best wishes to you to kick off the rest of those pounds.

Sue

Although some would say i've ultimatley been successful on my weight loss journey (I've lost 70lbs since last feb), the truth of it is I have another 50-70 lbs to go.

For me, the lapband is a slow process, i can only get my band tightend a little bit a time (believe me, i found out the hard way through trial and error) I get so frustrated when I hear people who drop the weight so quickly and here I am plugging along like a tortoise. None of my clothes fit, and I can't buy new ones becasue I was apparently so fat I have a ton more to loose.

Sorry to sound so negative, but i'm just TIRED of this whole process and I really NEED to get to where I am going to be weight-wise so I can move on with my life. This transition period is really frustrating me now. Is is just me, or others get to a similar place along the line? I know I sound ungrateful, that 70lbs is quite an accomplishment, but when you are only halfway there and stuck in the middle things get tricky. It's depressing, i can't buy anything new but shoes because at least i know they will fit 2 weeks down the road. I know, i know, i brought it on myself....but how long does it REALLY take to get to where you want to be? Can anyone shed some light at the end of this for me?

Wow Halloween you are really beating yourself up.:thumbup: STOP IT!!! You do need to go and buy yourself some new clothes that fit, so you can appreciate how good you look half way to goal!!! They don't need to be high end pieces, but certainly you can shop clearance and sales racks. You should be living your life now and each day!!! Be honest with yourself, and find out what is truly making you frustrated, and change it. Make a list of things that are better with half of your weight off, and marvel at it!!!! I can't wait til I can say I am halfway there!!! Don't wait another minute to start living your life!!! You are worthy of a fantastic life no matter what you weigh.... so get going!!!!!:drool:

Halloween, look at it this way: How easy could it have been to GAIN 70 pounds in the last 8 months? Pretty easy, no? So don't look at it as you've only lost 70, you've REALLY lost 140. :)

Hi,

You have to be realistic and patient. I gave myself a year to get to target and came in just under that. I also found the journey very enjoyable, with NSVs littered along the way to keep me motivated. Sure, sometimes I just had to grind it out when it came to exercise, but it's a price worth paying.

Stay positive, look for the good aspects of your great weight loss so far and just go for it!

Thanks everyone for such a positive response...

LOL Yes I'm suprised nobody told me to shit down and shut up for loosing that much in that short of time! IF ONLY! the one thing I realize I didn't make clear was that I really meant to say Feb of 07, so I'm coming up on 2 years of being banded.

I think 2two years of transition is more than enough and I'm inspired by those of you who have taken longer, I know i'm not alone in my super slow slimdown.

I guess i just have to step up my game a little and I should try to make my weight loss goal complete by my 2 year anniverssary. wish me luck.

Halloween, there is a thread on LBTalk for Slow Movers getting to goal (or something similar to that). Thread starter is from the UK and jump started her weight loss after a year or so of frustration. She has added more Protein to her diet in various ways and it has worked for her. Check out that thread and see if her story can help you get to your goal. Her first post is quite long and it indicates that in the title of the thread. Maybe her ideas can help you out.

Good luck to you. I'm with the others who encourage you to enjoy your success and be kind to yourself. I'm concerned about being a slow loser myself - have always had that problem - I know I will have to extra patient with myself. I am thinking of this as a lifestyle change with no time limit. The band will be there to stay, and I don't have to be in a hurry, just keep working toward healthy food in limited quantities. It will happen.