Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

choices , need some advice.

***Im reposting here b/c my 1st post might of not been in the right section of the forums.***

So anyone else run into this problem?? Making poor choices when ur pals are around? I tend to pick poor foods and eat mushy items which means i can eat more....

Now i know this is bad, and its wrong... I run into this issue about once a week sometime 2 times . I could use some advice and tips from others who have been here and were able to beat the need to eat like ur pals!

Also some side facts so you have a better understanding.

March 1st 2008 started to work for pre band diet lost 23lbs .

May 21st 2008 band ... Sept 28th 2008 total of 84lbs lost.

Work out 6-7 days a week , most days ( 5-6 ) healthy choices for food.

~~Jessica :thumbup:

Well, I have found that if I know I am going somewhere with friends or family I go ahead and try to find their menu online first to see what my options are. And if things don't look too Lapband friendly:sad_smile:, I will have something at home to curb the hunger and then I am basically unable to eat much at all. I sometimes have an iced tea and a small side (cottage cheese or something like that). That way I am still out with friends and family but haven't sabatoged my NEW way of life!:thumbup:

I like your ideas on how to cope when you are out, but what about at the office? I am not sure about where other people work, but there is CONSTANTLY food at my office. Brownies, and donuts, and cheesecakes. . . oh my. And once a moth we have pot luck and it is 100 times worse. I am not banded yet, but I know trying to be good now (I take little bites) that this is going to be the hardest thing for me. :thumbup:

PinePal, I know where you are coming from; it takes a lot of will power.

I suggest for pot lucks, volunteer to bring in something healthy. So if nobody else brings in something you can eat, at least you can enjoy your own dish.

I work in a doctor's office and we are all the time having luncheons. I stopped taking dessert long ago, and it is rare that I eat any of the sweets unless it is fresh fruit salad. Often there is a tossed salad of some kind, and if the entre is chicken that is not fried I might have a little of that. Mostly I carry in my own food that I can eat so if the luncheon is nothing I should eat, I skip it. As for going out with friends I don't pay any attention to what they order. I usually get an appetizer and salad, or just salad, as I can't eat a full restaurant entre. When they take drink orders I order Water (which I have always done even before surgery) and just leave it sit. That way I don't have to explain to the waitress why I am not drinking with my meal, and if something happens to get stuck I have Water to try and dislodge it.

I loved pizza, and someone at work asked me if I couldn't have it occasionally, and I said probably but it is like giving heroin to a junkie. I make crustless pizza (sauce, turkey pepperoni, peppers and onions, and fat free Kraft shredded cheese) in a microwave dish and nuke for 2 minutes. That way I can enjoy it, skipping the crust and having the toppings I enjoy. I keep my eye on the prize. I am off cholesterol meds for the first time in about 20 years, and wearing a 12-14 Misses (down from Womens 22). There isn't a junk food out there worth throwing all that away.

I definitely eat a little differently around friends. Also when I am out I find that mushies are a little safer so I am careful. I ate a little pizza once with a friend and got terribly stuck. As long as I am making good decisions 90% of the time and exercising some reasonable caution the other 10% it seems that I am still able to lose steadily.

we have luncheons at my office too. I always bring in something I can eat and if that is all I can have than that is what I do. Last time I brought in Chili. I also bring in my small Snacks just like any other day, like apple sauce, yogurt and stuff like that so I won't have to even go backto the breakroom except for lunch time.

I also tell my gal pals to keep an eye on me and not let me venture towards the forbidden room. They are all very supportive and it also helps that I have told everyone here that I have had surgery and you are more accountable when you know others are watching to see if you are being compliant!:cool2:

Kymmie, Hi, this is my first reply. I have been reading everything I can for 3 days. I will definately keep that piece of advice in mind. I am a librarian at a middle school(awesome job) and we Celebrate alot! Before we break for Christmas I will reschedule my classes so a potluck can be set up in the library and that is a great idea, thanks!