Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you that have reached goal...

I have a few questions. I have been researching the LapBand option for months now and I am getting closer and closer to the actual surgery. I have all my finall preoptesting this week.

While talking with the nutrionist and a friend about why I am considering the lapband, I began to wonder what is going to make this attempt to be a healthy wieght different? I read this site every night and it is full of people who done really well since there surgery and are well on there way to goal. But i have lost and gained 80 lbs 3 times. I know how to diet, I know how to follow a plan, my problem is always in the maintainance area. I like many others have this all or nothing attitude towards food and when it comes to dieting it is perfection of nothing.

I am hoping that those of you that have reached goal and been able to maintain it for sometime can shed some light on how you got to goal and how you are able to maintain it. :eek: How did you pick your goal weight? How does the band help? Is it easy to gain wieght back? How much excersize are you really doing to maintain? Are you dieting? How do you handle social situations? :thumbup:

I know those of you at goal are out there, I am just afraid that this site may be a bit like weight watchers. Where you sit in the room and they point out all these people who are losing but in a room full of 25 people only 2 have actually made it to lifetime and kept it off. I really what this experience to be different.

Thank you in advance to all who answer. :mellow:

I'm sure there are bunches of people at or near goal who will answer but I can tell you I've read studies and the statistics are WAY higher for lap band patients than WW patients. Bariatric surgery as a whole has way better odds than dieting alone. For the lap band, in the USA, 3 years post op the average (AVERAGE) loss is 50% of excess weight for all bandsters. In Australia, 3 years post op the average bandster has lost 80% of his or her excess weight. Those figures blow WW, Jenny Craig, LA Weight Loss, and Atkins out of the Water.

So if you are just "average" you'll lose 50-80% and still be down that much at 3 years. Those are amazing odds. If you maintain proper fill, eating 1/3 of a burger and a few fries instead of biggie burger fries and shake, you'll keep the weight off.

We have to avoid overindulging in Snacks and slider foods...but no weighing counting etc. It's a win win, in my book. I told my doc I intended to help get that USA average up. You can join me! :thumbup:

I am hoping that those of you that have reached goal and been able to maintain it for sometime can shed some light on how you got to goal and how you are able to maintain it. :eek: How did you pick your goal weight? How does the band help? Is it easy to gain wieght back? How much excersize are you really doing to maintain? Are you dieting? How do you handle social situations? :thumbup:

hi shrinkinmom - i could possibly answer some of your questions.

my dr suggested a goal weight of 140 for me during the pre-op process. i told him that still made me overweight (i'm 5'1 on my toes) & he was setting an expectation that not all lose 100% of their excess weight. i had no doubt that all of the butt was going to be gone. i set a goal weight of 125, then changed it when i got there to 117. that was at the beginning of the summer. i finally took that goal number out of the picture & just decided to continue w/my food & fitness program (i workout 6 days a wk - 2 w/a trainer). i stayed at 125-127 all summer long, and today i saw 123.4 on the scale. so - i would still like to see 117, but if it takes a while ... i'm ok with that.

i got the band to NOT gain the weight back - everyone can diet, i wanted to ensure it stayed gone. i didn't have a weight problem till after i got married in my 30's & don't expect to ever have a weight problem moving forward.

i eat out often - usually order apptz (plenty for me)... keep my calories at 1100 per day & exercise, exercise, exercise - can't say enough how much working out aided the weightloss process.

good luck to you!

I have a few questions. I have been researching the LapBand option for months now and I am getting closer and closer to the actual surgery. I have all my finall preoptesting this week.

While talking with the nutrionist and a friend about why I am considering the lapband, I began to wonder what is going to make this attempt to be a healthy wieght different? I read this site every night and it is full of people who done really well since there surgery and are well on there way to goal. But i have lost and gained 80 lbs 3 times. I know how to diet, I know how to follow a plan, my problem is always in the maintainance area. I like many others have this all or nothing attitude towards food and when it comes to dieting it is perfection of nothing.

I know those of you at goal are out there, I am just afraid that this site may be a bit like weight watchers. Where you sit in the room and they point out all these people who are losing but in a room full of 25 people only 2 have actually made it to lifetime and kept it off. I really what this experience to be different.

Thank you in advance to all who answer. :mellow:

I have been at goal for 2 months - but it could be 2 yrs

the diff between this is

#1 the tool (band) doesn't come out after you have lost the weight

you have the Portion Control 24/7 365

#2 I finally did make this a lifetime lifestyle change - Remember those words - I know you have heard them a million times - I was a ww girl too... Well you know what - it's true - this isn't a diet - cuz diets fail -

After you lost those 80 lbs - you went back to eating "normal" well that normal is what got you fat in the first place.

I have finally gotten that statement "lifestyle" I eat healty 98% of the time allow for treat 2% - exercise 3-4 times a week... I am living life and loving it.. I am not deprived - I don't live to eat I now eat to live - I look for good nutristist foods not junk to fuel my body

I follow a ww eating type program - which to me is the healthiest and I have good restriction.

No more mindless eating - I think plan avoid my triggers and if I can't I am now aware of my triggers - I am using my brain.. I feel to freaking good to screw this up again..

For me - I think that have major fricken surgery was my "ah ha moment" this isn't a game - but my life and I have wasted so many yrs being the fat chick - Well now I am the skinny chick and am loving it..

Best of luck to you on your jourmey..

Thank you all for getting back to me.

Luluc - I always pay attention to your posts because I have noticed you have reached your goal successfully. I also think you look great. (We have the same haircut. lol) You said that you keep around 1100 calories. Is that what you need to be satiified or is it an effort to stay there? Do you count calories? I envy you having the time to workout 6x per week. i usually get in around 3 hours a week. I know that I can't committ to more than that for life. I can't wait to have more energy though so i am not dead on the couch by 8:30.

Indiogirl--

I hear everything you say. And I am also at that A-ah moment. For me the a-ah was I am killing myself flucating with my weight and at the end of the day I am back to where I started ( actually heavier) and I am not willing to do this again and gain it all back. I need Brakes, I think that is what the band will be for me.

Do you find that you make the right choices most of the time and let the band help you with Portion Control? Is this a lifestyle that you can up keep? Has it become natural or do you still spend a lot of your time thinking about food (like when you are on ww)?

Luluc - I always pay attention to your posts because I have noticed you have reached your goal successfully. I also think you look great. (We have the same haircut. lol) You said that you keep around 1100 calories. Is that what you need to be satiified or is it an effort to stay there? Do you count calories? I envy you having the time to workout 6x per week. i usually get in around 3 hours a week. I know that I can't committ to more than that for life. I can't wait to have more energy though so i am not dead on the couch by 8:30.

just now use to my short hair & can say i love it. when i hit the 50lb loss, i cut 13inches off.....freaked me out a bit:tongue:

i started out eating between 800-1000 calories per day (dr suggestion). by month 4 i had only lost 24lbs. my dr & trainer both agreed that wasn't enough for me, try 1200 p day. that was the trick, the weight really started to come off the more i fueled myself. there were days, really on the beginning when i was hungry - but that was trying to live on 800caloreis a day - now i'm completely fine with 1100, which i would consider my maintenance #.

to this day, i still journal my food (check the "what have you eaten today" thread - great ideas & accountability)...started walking the day of surgery, and just increased as time went. the reason i'm fond of exercise, aside from feeling great after doing so - is when the scale stalled or moved at a snails pace, i noticed the inches coming off regularly.

i read a lot here too - i didn't find LBT till after i was banded, so i found those who were successful - and read all their advice...IndioGirl was one of them:wink:

good luck to ya!!

Hi Shrinkinmom

I am two years post-op this month and have lost a total of 123 lbs. I lost 88 or so lbs the first year and the rest has come off gradually the past year (quite easily).

In my case, the first few months were the hardest until I had proper restriction, BUT I followed the 'way of eating' and 'plan' my nutritionist gave me, sort of like a "diet", but I never used the word "diet". It was easier for me to know exactly what foods I would be taking in and what my total calories would be for the day. Once I got to my 'sweet spot' with fills (and everyone is different), it became a totally different scenario for me in that I just wasnt hungry all the time and I lost the "head hunger' part of it, so was able to vary my foods from day to day knowing I would follow the rules, so to speak, only want a few bites and was done. I was using my new 'tool' to its fullest potential.

Also, Water and exercise are key (for me anyway). Exercise, exercise, exercise. Not only is it great for you body in aiding in your weight loss, but it helps clear your mind, etc etc etc.

Two years out of surgery now, I eat what I want. I do have that occasional small piece of chocolate, because that is only what i want at this point. Not the big bar anymore!! Before surgery, I could easily eat the whole bar (and more!), but I am at 'peace' I guess with food and realize it is fuel for my body and I want to give my body the best possible fuel and it is "OKAY" for me to have a taste of this or that, because I know I wont (nor do i desire) to eat the whole thing anymore.

Good luck with your decision and your journey. Try to remember that the band is not a "quick fix", that it will take a bit of time (over gastric bypass) to lose the weight and it is certainly a committment.

Sherry

Thank you all for getting back to me.

Indiogirl--

I hear everything you say. And I am also at that A-ah moment. For me the a-ah was I am killing myself flucating with my weight and at the end of the day I am back to where I started ( actually heavier) and I am not willing to do this again and gain it all back. I need Brakes, I think that is what the band will be for me.

Do you find that you make the right choices most of the time and let the band help you with Portion Control? Is this a lifestyle that you can up keep? Has it become natural or do you still spend a lot of your time thinking about food (like when you are on ww)?

Yes - I make good choices 98% of the time cuz I know that if I don't then the weight will come back - I can't say I think about food 24/7 but I do plan and keep my kitchen full of healthy stuff and not the crap.. I usually cook on Sundays for my lunches for the week - or cook enough to have left overs for lunch -

I would say that the only thing I find hard is eating on the fly - There isn't much fast foods that I want to eat due to the calories and unfriend to my band. I was never a big fast food eater but there are times that's all there is (traveling) I don't want empty calories - I want nutrition. So I will order a burger - throw away the bun and call it a day - I'm full but not satisfied

I love good food and when I eat I want good food not junk...

Yep once you have proper restriction the band is a break - but I don't rely on my band to stop me from eating unhealthy cuz it's not... Most unhealthy crap is slider foods - Cookies candies mashed tatos gravy ice cream - my band really doesn't stop me from over eating the bad stuff but it does limit me on eating the good stuff..

Yes this is a lifestyle change I will live with - For me this has been pretty easy - I have not really struggled in the last year - Yep I miss some of my unheatly habit - I miss pigging out - but I am Loving the way I feel the energy I have. so the trade offs are worth it...

I thank all three of you for your time and honesty. You all have answered exactly what I have expected and what I needed to hear.

I know from reading this site that the Lapabnd is not an easy fix and it will take the same time and commitment as following any plan. But it is good to know that in the end that it will become a lifestyle change on its own.

Amd I will not spend every ounce of my day thinking about food for the rest of my life.

I have been "successful" on diets before but i have learned that true success comes in maintainence. That's the part I can't master.

I don't worry about slider foods to much b/c they are not my problem foods. I am much more of a chicken wing and beer kinda girl. I will miss beer.

Thanks again and kudos to all of you for reaching your goal and sharing it with the rest of us.

Chris

shrinkin'

just realized your on Long Island - was born & raised there:wink:

been in TX TOO long......LOL - i wish you well on your journey ... BTW, i have a cold beer every now and then - but waited a few months beforehand & only have one....actually can ONLY have 1:tongue:

Chris - I miss beer too - I haven't tried it in a while - like LuLu I could only have one - but tonic Water is no problem - so now my drink of choice is tequilla tonic's :girl_hug:

Gotta say it has become a way of life for me - no biggie really - Loving the way I feel - I have lost weight before but never made it to goal - with the band I have finally really accomplished it...

Good Luck - Hugs Janet

So the "NO CARBONATION EVER" caveat should really be "MAYBE NEVER" Sounds like once we heal and our bodies adapt and so on, an occasional carbonated beverage is do-able. I had reconciled to NEVER any beer or so on. It's nice to know I'll just have to wait and see, but maybe! :girl_hug:

I've been pretty much stable for 6 months or so, been banded 14 months. For me, the band helps me keep from backsliding when I get tired of being good. It's simply externally enforced willpower :girl_hug:

I could always lose weight, it was keeping it off that was hard. The band helps me from being VERY bad when I do go bad.

I could always lose weight, it was keeping it off that was hard. The band helps me from being VERY bad when I do go bad.

That just made me laugh. The thought of a MANATEE (Yes I know you aren't really. At least I THINK i know that) going bad....yikes! LOL

HMMM...one beer. I think I am better off just staying away. My beer drinking could possibly lead me to a different 12 step website. :girl_hug: But makes me feel good to know that I will be able to have one now and then.

Manatee---you are speaking my language. What you explained is exactly what I am looking for from the band. I almost wish I could just lose the weight and then have the band put on to stay that weight. But we know the insurance company will never go for that.

So how did all of you Celebrate reaching goal? I am going to try to put away $20/lb I lose and Celebrate with an all-inclusive vacation at a beach in the carribean. This time I will spend my time swimming, snorkling and maybe scuba diving and not drinking myself stupid trying to forget I am the fattest person there in a bathing suit.