Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kathy's (Best ME) Needle Biopsy:eek:

Kathy, Iam wishing you the best during all of this, been there done that, all came out good so Iam hoping the same for you too :D

Are they performing two diffent types of biopsies on each breast?

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm sure it's all fine, and it will be good to have this all behind me and a name for whatever it is.

The right breast is a needle biopsy. That's the one that has been there for 5 years (that I know of) and is growing.

She found the left one when checking assymetrically on the other breast...the fact that it's assymetric is actually good news, I'm thinking, because it shows a pattern, and not the willy-nilly-never-know-where of malignant cancer. There's really no science that I know of to what I just said, but it makes some sense to me...so the left breast is an attempt at aspiration first...treat it like a possible cyst, then if it's not, go ahead and get the biopsy while already there, since I've got one on the right, no need to wonder.

I'm satisfied, certainly, with the care I am receiving. I think this young whipper-snapper obsessive-compulsive Boob Doc I managed to get knows her stuff. However, I did correct her! How often does that happen? She had the Ultrasound wand on my left breast, pointed at the whatever, and was typing a note onto the computer screen and put "left, 9:00" and I said, "isn't that 3:00?" Yep, she changed it. And handled it well. Didn't blush or gush or try to cover it up.

Anyhow, I'm certain it's NOT the procedure where I'm laying face down on a table with the girls hanging. I'll be on my back, they will use the Ultrasound to guide the needle and draw out a sample for testing. So, I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement, wisdom, experiences, and good wishes. It helps to hear your stories. I really covet your prayers!

Well, the week has passed by uneventfully and tomorrow (well, today if I'd ever go to bed!) is the day. I'll fill you all in when I get back and let you know how it went. The doc said I should have test results back in a few days after that...we'll see! My appointment is at 1:15 PM (EST). Thanks for all your prayers!!

Dear Kathy!!

I will have you in my thoughts and prayers today! You are one tough cookie...you will be fine thru all this. So you go in there....stick out the girls, and tell em, gimme what cha got!! :)

In all seriousness...my mom has had to have two needle biopsies. We know the fustration of the whole situation. Turns out she has cystic breasts. Breast cancer runs in my family. My Maternial Grandmother had breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy and kicked the cancers ass! Soo breast health is very important..and as I have seen it here posted and heard it a billion times...it is way worse not knowing. HOWEVER You will be fine! Try and relax. Breath deep! Feel all the prayers and thoughts that are with you today....Feel the warmth of the white lights....Get thru today and then the rest will follow. Then when your all healed up I will take you shopping at Hot Topic and get you one mean ass gothic outfit! OOO WITH HAPPY BOOTS! (Inside joke!)

When you feel up to it, let us know how today went.

TALK TO YOU SOON!

Okay, so it wasn't that bad awful but it hurt! I can tell I will be good and sore. Right now I'm ice-packed (ahhhh!) and home, still a bit numb from the Lidocaine. I feel shaky and tired, I guess from stress. I haven't felt all that worked up about it, but I guess now that it's over, I'm just ready to sleep for about 2 days!! I will know the biopsy results by Friday.

The whole procedure was interesting. I had no idea what to expect going in. I couldn't understand the steri-strips and ice packs...I get it now! The prick/burn from the Lidocaine was nothing, but thank God it was there! They enter both breasts from the bottom, 5-7 o'clock, and tunnel up from below to the...whatever it is, lump. (and by the way, whatever is on the left is not a cyst, it didn't aspirate so it's solid) They check it on the ultrasound machine to be sure the needle is in place, then they hook up a tool that goes in, she counts to three and POP! the little tool/gun thing fires and reaches in and grabs a tissue sample. They did that 5 times on the left and 4 on the right. They put the tissue samples in some liquid and mark it to go off to the lab. It looks like Water with short little worms of stuff in there. Interesting. So my left breast required a bit more digging around, that lump was much smaller, and she was burrowing pretty good in there. The right one hurt but not as badly. I think it will recover a little better.

Poor girls, they have had a big and busy day and need some rest. Thank you all for thinking of me...I'll keep you posted!

Oh, Vera! Your post rmeinded me to look up your hysterectomy thread...I saw it and meant to come back to it...going there now.

Yep, I had this done on 3 lumps in my breast last year (I was only 31 but I had to do it for my plastic surgeon as a pre op thing to maybe get implants). very nerve racking! But the actual procedure isn't too bad. The needle biopsy reminds me of getting my ears pierced. Same type of fast "gun popping" in and out very quickly. I even watched it on the monitor. All 3 of mine came out as fibrous and not malignant. BIG sigh of relief. But I must admit I was very nervous and a bit jumpy for a few weeks.

I am sure yours will turn out just fine. I will be thinking of you.