Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like crap

Okay. I guess I am just not one of the lucky ones who feel wonderful the day after the lap band. Although I have a very high pain tollerance and felt great the evening after a c-section I have felt like crap since my surgery.

I had my surgery Tuesday (Sept 9) and I spent the night in the hospital because the doctor didn't want me to travel back to my home 2 hours away.

The hospital stay was awful. I didn't feel great and the staff was a little less than helpful. The couple of times I asked for broth and Jello it took more than 2 hours to get it. When I asked about getting up and walking they told me that they would get around to it. I told them my doctor wanted me up walking at least 10 to 15 minutes every couple of hours and they said that it wasn't realistic because they were just too busy.

My first days home were fine. I was a bit cloudy and my head hurt so I stopped taking my loritab. I still was okay and switched to liquid tylenol.

Friday afternoon my shoulder and neck started killing me... I know the gas was causing it. But, at the same time the gas in my stomach and digestive system started playing with me. I had terrible gas in and out. I was in so much pain I could hardly handle it last night.

I really feel like I have had the flu. Of course I couldn't take care of myself in the usual ways. Sprite is out. Crackers, nope. Hot bath... I don't think so.

I called my surgeon this morning to just be assured that nothing it wrong and he told me that everyone suffers from gas differently. He also warned me against eating and solids yet.

FYI - my doctor doesn't allow anything but Clear liquids and Protein shakes until at least a week after surgery.

Okay. I have vented. Good luck to everyone.

I hope you feel better every day.

Teri

Oh I competely feel your pain!! My surgery was on Thursday the 11th and I felt the same things that you've described...plus I had constant nausea with dry heaves for 2 days.

Today seems to be shaping up as a better day....we'll see.

Okay. I guess I am just not one of the lucky ones who feel wonderful the day after the lap band. Although I have a very high pain tollerance and felt great the evening after a c-section I have felt like crap since my surgery.

I had my surgery Tuesday (Sept 9) and I spent the night in the hospital because the doctor didn't want me to travel back to my home 2 hours away.

The hospital stay was awful. I didn't feel great and the staff was a little less than helpful. The couple of times I asked for broth and Jello it took more than 2 hours to get it. When I asked about getting up and walking they told me that they would get around to it. I told them my doctor wanted me up walking at least 10 to 15 minutes every couple of hours and they said that it wasn't realistic because they were just too busy.

My first days home were fine. I was a bit cloudy and my head hurt so I stopped taking my loritab. I still was okay and switched to liquid tylenol.

Friday afternoon my shoulder and neck started killing me... I know the gas was causing it. But, at the same time the gas in my stomach and digestive system started playing with me. I had terrible gas in and out. I was in so much pain I could hardly handle it last night.

I really feel like I have had the flu. Of course I couldn't take care of myself in the usual ways. Sprite is out. Crackers, nope. Hot bath... I don't think so.

I called my surgeon this morning to just be assured that nothing it wrong and he told me that everyone suffers from gas differently. He also warned me against eating and solids yet.

FYI - my doctor doesn't allow anything but Clear Liquids and Protein shakes until at least a week after surgery.

Okay. I have vented. Good luck to everyone.

You know, those Nurses should be ashamed of themselves. It's their job and if they don't like it perhaps they should change professions. They are supposed to follow the Doctor's instructions, period! This kind of thing really pisses me off.

Anyway, so sorry that you do not feel well. Also, My Dr is very restrictive with his diet too. I think protien shakes are going to be my friend, along with Crystal light.

Just hang in there, the gas pains can be horrific. If you are feeling better, walk. Don't do too much, but it helps to walk. I know a few have spoken about the Gas X strips. I don't know if they work, but they might be worth a try.

Take care, walk, I hope you feel a little better. :lol: Huggs Debbie

For me (banded on the 8th) nothing helped as much as walking, even if I couldn't go too far ... it helped to move the gas around. I am lucky in that my pain is currently relegated to my left abdominal wall. Makes driving (also 2 hours home from my parents') not so fun. I will try to do that tomorrow, and I may take a break and walk around a little too.

I'm right with you.

Banded on 10th. Severe shoulder pain- thank gawd it went away but not I have terrible backaches. I only get relief with a heating pad. I assume it's gas, who knows.

Anyways, I feel your pain.

I was banded the same day and am feeling pretty rough too. I have walked everyday since Saturday. I feel awful after moving like that but the next morning I am feeling a little better. I am also only going on about 400 calories a day due to severe milk and whey allergies. My doc said just sip Soup until I get to the mushie stage. Hand in there. We will get better and if you can manage the walking; it does help with the gas. I have heard it will be about 3 weeks out before it is all gone. Sorry.

I was banded on 9/12. The first day I really don't remember much. Today I am 3 days post-op and feeling pretty good. With the exception that I am on a full liquid diet for 3 weeks, meaning anything that can go through a straw! Yesterday I drank my yogurt a bit too fast, and paid for it, for about 4 hours or so. I called my Dr. and he quickly reminded me that I need to drink and eat slow. He said eventually it will become second nature for me. I too am walking to ease the gas pain, and I am also drinking lots of hot tea. On another note I am so excited to announce that I have lost 10lbs allready? I am so excited for things to come! Good Luck to all, and feel better soon!

I was banded on the 2nd and today was the first real day that I didn't have back pain due to gas. These last 2 weeks have been painfull. I thought the gas would never go away. I move to mushy foods this week too, which has helped me mentaly. I was going crazy last week. I didn't think I was going to be able to make it, but I held steady and made it through. If I can do it than anyone can. When I had my scrambled egg this morning I thouhgt it was the best thing in the whole world.

I have lost 15lbs todate and I am starting to feel it in my clothes. I can't see it yet, but other people are starting to notice. So, I know all of this pain and suffering is going to be worth it.

I was banded on the 2nd and today was the first real day that I didn't have back pain due to gas. These last 2 weeks have been painfull. I thought the gas would never go away. I move to mushy foods this week too, which has helped me mentaly. I was going crazy last week. I didn't think I was going to be able to make it, but I held steady and made it through. If I can do it than anyone can. When I had my scrambled egg this morning I thouhgt it was the best thing in the whole world.

I have lost 15lbs todate and I am starting to feel it in my clothes. I can't see it yet, but other people are starting to notice. So, I know all of this pain and suffering is going to be worth it.

You are doing fantastic! Way to go :rolleyes: Debbie

I'm feeling better today, too. The gas is still here, but it has moved to my chest (feels like indigestion). I'm still using the gas-x strips (and I took a soft gel today also) and sipping hot tea and broth when it's really bad. I have been lying on the heating pad too...

My skin feels really tight around my incisions and it's itchy there too....so I started using some arnica cream around the steri-strips...hopefully that'll help.

I started feeling better yesterday. Right now my neck hurts, not from gas pain but probably from my neck hurting so much recently that I actually caused damage. :rolleyes:

I stomach still feels weird. I actually ate some real food yesterday and it was a bit uncomfortable. I guess I am getting better now. Thanks to all for listening to me vent.

9-16-08

Yo everyone: I was banded on 9-5-08 in NYC... all in all, this website has been an AWESOME resource! Bless every one of you and all your helpful hints and honesty in sharing your experiences.

I am NOT AT ALL good at this "computer stuff" of chat rooms, graphics, etc., but I absolutely had to try to respond here, so I hope I'm doing it correctly:

a) I work as a Massage Therapist. Soooo many of you write about how a heating pad can help... yes, that's true!!... but, a bigger help, I think, is to do hot towels for yourself: I recommend these to clients quite often... it's simple: take a clean wash cloth or clean dish rag, get it gooooood and soaking wet, WRING IT OUT, then microwave it for three minutes??, or four minutes?? (depends upon how much heat you can take for yourself...), then take it out of the microwave and shake it out for four or five seconds, and drape it over your neck or shoulder or lower back or whatever is ouching... you literally will feel your muscles say "aaah! thanks!!" Then, as it's cooling off, have ANOTHER in the microwave. Keep switching them and it should REALLY help you.... and:

:) I, personally, found the book FIGHTING WEIGHT by Khaliah Ali to be a w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l resource overall... read it a dozen times pre-surgery and at least twice in the past week...

That's it for now... KEEP THE FAITH and know that it can only get easier from here... it'll probably be a year before my LapBand and I get rrrrreally adjusted to each other, and I'm looking forward to it! :) Miss Jake