Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Line of pureed meals for Lap-Band patients

Okay, I went and retrieved my patient manual. It says "Post-Op Diet for Gastric Band"

Day 1 - Clear Liquids (48 - 64 ounces per day)

• add sf Gelatin, sf popsicles, diluted clear juice
  • Avoid all other foods

Days 2-14 - Puree diet

• Add mashed potatoes, cream of wheat and baby food (no peanut butter)
  • pureed meats, veggies and fruits
  • Everything must be a smooth consistency
  • NO CHUNKS OR LUMPS

Days 15-30 (Weeks 3 and 4) - soft diet

• Slowly add soft foods
  • chew well
  • Eat slowly
  • Continue Protein supplemenet
  • Dring 64 oz per day SLOWLY add baked fish, tuna (with no fat mayo_, toast or crackers, small amount of rice, Pasta, vegetables (except: celery, corn) and whole grain Cereal (granola bars, Protein bars)

Day 30 and after - regular diet

• Low fat/low car/high protein
  • Begin introducing high Fiber foods, crunchy raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, dried fruits, etc...

Here is an example puree menu:

Breakfast:

Between Meal

• 3 oz unsweetened grape juice diluted with 3 oz Water

Fluid:

Mid Morning:

Between Meal

• 1 c skim milk
  • Fluid:

Lunch:

• 1/4 c pureed lean chicken salad w/1/2 tsp mayo
  • 1/4 c pureed peas

Between Meal:

• 1 cup Crystal Light
  • Fluid:

Mid Afternoon:

• 1/2 c high protein sf/fat free pudding

Between Meal:

• 1 c water
  • Fluid:

Supper:

• 1/4 c lean fish
  • 2 Tbsp thin mashed potatoes 2/1/4 tsp reg margerine
  • 2 Tbsp pureed green Beans /1/4 tsp reg margerine

Between Meal:

• 1/2 c high protein "no sugar added" CIB (carnation instant breakfast)

Evening

• 1/4 c cream Soup blendarized + 2 Tbsp pureed meat + 1 Tbsp nonfat dry milk powder (or protein powder)
  • 2 Tbsp blended sf/ff yogurt

Between Meal:

• Sf popsicle

Fluid:

• 1/2 c water
Yogurt is another...I can't drink it with a straw, but it's smooth, so to me it's a puree...I get it come friday....

Okay, maybe I've messed up. I thought I was doing good by buyin Soup I could puree. I just notice my manual said no corn, no celery. Both things I pureed, chicken salad and Chicken tortilla soup had 1 of those items in it although I pureed it, I assume I wasn't suppose to have it at all despite pureeing. Lord, I hope I haven't goofed up. I'm going to stick to this manual from now on. I had it in a drawer. Shame shame. Thanks RestlessMonkey for sparking enough interest to pull it out. It may have save me from band complications.

I am copying that post because hence far, I have not received any real patiient information from my surgeon. Maybe next week.

It's ok Health4life...we are all doing the best we can! I think I don't get pureed until week 3 and I've already pureed corn AND celery and had that Soup LOL so we're both doomed. Actually I know we all heal differently and we're both trying to do the right thing...I'm sure we'll be fine. We aren't supposed to have Snacks EVER for example. Once I've got restriction I'm sure I'll follow that, too. But for now? ha.

LOL

I appreciate your post .... they gave you LOTS more info than I got. They mostly just told me "don't" don't what? JUST DONT! LOL

ANNECOLORGREEN....

Your doc SHOULD give you direction...post op diets are all a little different. So hang in there and wait to see what your surgeon comes up with! :thumbdown:

And it's boring but not too bad honestly and well worth it! :cursing:

So hang in there and wait to see what your surgeon comes up with! :cursing:

Ahhh...but what you don't know about me is that I want to know everything NOW...I hate unanswered questions :thumbdown:...my curse in life!

Thanks ya'll.

Trust me, he'll have his own spin on what Health4life posted. You need to turn your "thirst" for info to other areas for now! LOL

There are good "lap band" surgery books etc that you can buy...

the pre and post op diets will happen soon enough. Trust that whatever it is, you'll be hungry and you'll get through it! LOL

No Snacks? ?? My manual has "Facts to remember"

• Your portion size per meal should be 1/2-3/4 cup (4-6 oz)
  • Eat 3 small MEALS and 2 SNACKS per day
  • Drink 6-8 cups of fluids per day
  • Eat a Protein source every time you eat, and make sure that you eat that food first!
  • Chew your foods until they are a smooth pureed consistency.

If you should want my Sample Step 3 soft diet menu let me know. We'll all do fine I'm sure. All of us at some point will stumble and fall, but we get back up, brush ourselves off and start all over. I'm sticking to the plan tomorrow. Have a good night.

It's ok Health4life...we are all doing the best we can! I think I don't get pureed until week 3 and I've already pureed corn AND celery and had that Soup LOL so we're both doomed. Actually I know we all heal differently and we're both trying to do the right thing...I'm sure we'll be fine. We aren't supposed to have snacks EVER for example. Once I've got restriction I'm sure I'll follow that, too. But for now? ha.

LOL

I appreciate your post .... they gave you LOTS more info than I got. They mostly just told me "don't" don't what? JUST DONT! LOL

If they don't give you any detailed information such as what I have, feel free to let me know and maybe I can scan what I have and send it to you. I'd be happy to, but follow your Dr.'s orders. As you can see, I make mistakes :thumbdown:

I am copying that post because hence far, I have not received any real patiient information from my surgeon. Maybe next week.

I would tell everyone to talk to their doctor or your dietician.

I have found in my research that there is "NO STANDARD" diet that ALL doctors follow.

Each doctor has his own diet plan he wants you to follow. No diet is the same from one Doctor to Another.

When I have a question about any foods that I can eat I always call my dietician....there is No extra cost to you and I always get an answer within a few days or that same day.

In my opinion this is the best advice that anyone here could give:thumbup:

REMEMBER THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DO NOT ASK:w00t:

My full liquid stage included pureed anything as long as it was mixed a little thinner than usual, 1 week of Clear Liquids - 1 week of full liquids/purees - 1 week of soft food - regular food. I think mushies are put in different categories by different doctors, some consider them with the full liquids, some with the soft foods.

I've learned that every doctor has a slightly different eating program with rules and warnings. The mention of chili is one of those warnings. The program I'm on prohibits any Tomato products before the first month because they are so harsh and acidic. I'm told it can cause a stomach ache and in severe cases, an ulcer. Use caution.

liquids can be poured off a spoon, and I promise with my emersion blender I can make just about ANYTHING pour off a spoon!